Skip to Content

Nikon Lenses

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Camera Lens

Unread post by DuQues » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:28 am

Second hand no problem? Then this link might widen your choice a bit?
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Rybka

Unread post by Rybka » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:55 am

As far as budget is concerned I was thinking of up to R5000. I wouldnt mind second hand as long as the condition is good.

BushNuts

Unread post by BushNuts » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:48 am

I'd go with DQ and JL's suggestion. The Nikkor 18-200mm is the ideal one travel lens. Sure the zoom isn't great enough to take a picture of "a tick biting the butt of a buffalo from a mile away" but it meets most needs, landscapes and zoomed up portrait shots. You can always crop the image if your shots are good enough.
"What makes a simple picture a true photograph, is the infusion of a story, emotions and memories."

31/12 - 01/01 : KNP - Talamati
02/01 - 05/01 : KNP - Satara

fazekma

Unread post by fazekma » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:43 pm

Hi Rybka

I would agree with the 18-200 vr lens - it is small and light and an ideal fit with the D90. It also has a macro capability that comes in handy.

I dropped my first one and bought a second hand replacement from Kameraz in Rosebank for R6000,00. I don't know where you live - if in Jhb Kameraz http://www.kameraz.co.za/ specializes in second hand items.
Mario

t-bal
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Lens needed for Nikon D5200

Unread post by t-bal » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:30 pm

Hello mites

I have another dilemma so once again I must ask for your guidance, this time it’s a more technical issue.

I have just purchased a Nikon D5200. The main reasons for this buy are: the much higher megapixels and the better images when the light is fading. I want to buy a lens which will provide me with the quality images I am looking for. I am looking at buying a lens which extends to 300mm. (budget prevails me to go for a larger lens) I have also been looking at superzoom lenses but the nikkor ones are just too expensive for me. I have narrowed the list down to 2. I would like to hear which one you think is the best for capturing the wild life and which one has the most value for the money. I am looking at the following lenses.

- Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF – ED
- Nikkor AF-S DX 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G Ed VR

Looking forward of reading your advice.

Regards
TR: " The return of the Cloggy Kruger Highlights"

Chickadee
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Lens needed for Nikon D5200

Unread post by Chickadee » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:10 pm

Hey,

I am a somewhat familiar with this issue because my brother-in-law was asking the same question recently.

First off, both those lenses will work with the 5200 - you have to be careful because the camera itself does not have a motor to drive the lenses so you need a lens type that supports auto-focus with AF-S or AF-I lenses only.

I personally own the 70-300 Nikon lens you are asking about and use it a lot. When I only want to carry one lens, this is it because of its versatility. It is more expensive and larger and heavier than the 55-300.

I can't speak to the 55-300 other than that it is less expensive, shorter, and lighter.

I'm sure you cannot go wrong with either lens and I hope to see some pictures in a trip report soon!!
Kruger Dec 27 - Jan 4
Kgalagadi Jan 7 - 25

Scottm

Unread post by Scottm » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:04 pm

Tim, if you can, get the 70-300 VR Nikon Lens. It is by far the bast budget zoom available, and while still a "consumer" lens, does an excellent job of producing great images. anything better is likely to be substantially more expensive. The optics on the 55-300 are of similar quality (much under-rated), but the focusing of this lens is just that much slower than the 70-300. Anything else in the Nikon lens lineup for wildlife is at least double the price of the 70-300.

The only alternate is to look for a faster lens in the 2nd hand market.....
"Take nothing but memories, leave nothing but footprints"

Photographs help to crystallize memories, but cannot be seen to be a replacement of them!

JDW

Unread post by JDW » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:34 am

t-bal
The 70-300mm lens will serve you well.
It will struggle to focus quickly if you use a converter with it.
Its sweet point is at about 250mm.
It is a good start for your photographic equipment which you can add to as you become more affluent.
Enjoy your youth
Regards
JDW
2015 - Jun/Jul - Scotland
2015 - Sep - North Wales
2016 - South Africa/USA/Canada?

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”