Wildlife in Camps

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Stephens.L
Guru
Guru

Re: Leopard in Biyamiti Camp?

Unread post by Stephens.L » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:29 am

Dear Evel

Indeed, it is true that the leopard was spotted at Biyamiti bushcamp on Sunday morning. The section ranger was called to set up a trap. Rangers are busy searching the camp day and night to trace the animal. We will continue to monitor the situation closely.
Regards

Stephens Ledwaba
Communications and Marketing Department
Kruger National Park
+27 (0)13 735 4116
stephens.ledwaba@sanparks.org

MarkusF
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by MarkusF » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:28 am

Bush Baptist wrote:No wonder I haven't seen leopard near Biyamiyi on my visits. I was looking OUTSIDE the camp. :roll:

:funny:

Mfezi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mfezi » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:56 pm

Duke Ellieton wrote:A visitor got the fright of his life when taking an early morning walk and coming face to face with a leopard. The leopard growled, turned around and moved away.

SANParks staff handled the situation very well informing us on what is going on and what precautionary measures to take.

Now that is what I will call a rude awakening!! :roll: Glad all turned well for animal and human...

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Animals in camps

Unread post by tent dweller » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:52 am

When we are in Tamboti we never use the bin that is situated outside the tent, after cooking we put all our rubbish in a plastic bag and we put it in the bin in the kitchen area close by the ablution block simply for one reason that when the honey badger does come around he does not push our bin over and cause one of us to have heart failure :lol: :lol: and secondly it is very upsetting to see that he is actually becoming a scavenger
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
PRETORIUSKOP 04 -06 January 2016

Melman

Re: Animals in camps

Unread post by Melman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:54 pm

A few years ago we had a lovely river view bungalow at Crocodile Bridge. My girls were a lot younger and we all were sharing a 4 bedded unit. While I braai'd my wife visited the bathroom, on her return she informed me that a snake had shedded it's skin in the shower - "get rid of it before your daughters see it or none of us will sleep tonight!". So I ambled into the bungalow and headed for the bathroom. On the ledge up near the thatch the shedded skin was visible - a little out of my reach I used the braai tongs to retrieve the offending item - little did I know the snake had not quite finished shedding itself and was still attached to the bit I had just grabbed - :big_eyes: - The sundowners I had earlier disappeared as quickly as the "70 foot black mamba - thats the type of snake it was and I'm sticking to that story."

I returned to the braai trying to act all cool and tried to gain my composure. "Is it gone?" - "Yes dear I replied".
I spent a nervous sleepless night lying in bed with a torch scanning the thatch above me from time to time....

Letaba 22nd Sep
Mopani 23rd
Satara 24th
Lower Sabie 25,26

Yippeee !!

:lol:

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Re: Your success with a torch in the camps at night?

Unread post by Grantmissy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:45 pm

A good torch is essential in Kruger. In Punda Maria at the Safari tents there are many night animals to be seen. Hyenas – Satara along the fence, also Letaba and Shingwedzi. It would be creepy to walk round in Kruger in the night without a torch.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

DSchwartzel

Unread post by DSchwartzel » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:46 am

Sounds fantastic! Some of the sightings that people have seen are a once in a life time experience. Ive seen so much in the camps at times, more than I've seen when we go out during the day. Here's some of the sightings (All the times I've been to the park):
Letaba:
Leopard, impala, bush buck, Scorpions, Bush babies, Elephant, Baboons, vervet monkeys, water buck, baboon spiders, red romans, nyala
Oliphants:
Genets, bush babies, bats, baboons, vervet monkeys, water buck
Satara:
Hyenas came right to the fence and stuck its nose through the fence to try smell us, jackals, puff adders, baboon spiders, scops owl, pearl spotted owls, mongoose, wildcat, buffalo, elephant, impala, wildebeest, a massive green centipede (One of the best camps to see creepy crawlies)
Tamboti:
Honey badgers, lots of owls
Skukuza:
Hyena in the camp, lots of spiders and snakes, leopard there by the river (Low fence), bush babies, mongoose, scorpions, bush buck, a very strange creature when I was young (didn't have torch) could have been a pangolin, lots of different bat and owl species, frogs (by the pond at the circle)
Lowe Sabie:
Barn owl, pearl spotted owl, snakes, scorpions and spiders (Too many to name) impala, elephant, baboons, vervet monkeys, genets, bush babies
Crocodile bridge:
Puff adder, baboon spiders, warthog, impala, buffalo, bush buck, genets, lots of squirrels, tortoises, elephants

Some of the sightings have been in the camps others on the fence of the camps, cant wait to add to the list! Hope more people pick up a torch and take a stroll through the camps at night!

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:26 pm

Have seen Genet and Bushbaby at Punda, with the help of my torch. :dance: :dance:

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:55 am

In December last year in Skukuza we saw an African Wild Cat next to the fence with a torch.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Moira de Swardt

Unread post by Moira de Swardt » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:25 pm

In Addo last year I had a little genet come and share my fire for a while until he/she realised I wasn't a rule breaker who was going to share my meal.

In December in Letaba I found two bushbabies in a tree near the river. By the time I summoned my friend they were gone, but it was a excellent sighting for me.

And bats.

During the day we had some excellent in-camp sightings. I wasn't sorry to spend time in camp under the trees at all.
I don't get to the Parks nearly often enough, despite two trips to the KNP and one to Golden Gate this year.

holmesneg

Wildlife in the camps

Unread post by holmesneg » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:02 pm

Hi, Heading to Kruger from UK in April for the 3rd time. We're staying in Biyamiti, Lower Sabie, Skukuza, Satara, Oliphants and Letaba. I was wondering if there were any recognised spots in these camps where wildlife can be seen reliably....maybe on the way back to the cottage after a night drive? Last year we were inundated with mongoose in Satara around dusk and had a very tame genet visit us after dark in Biyamiti...but what else is there?...I am hoping for honey badger! :-)
Thanks all
Nick

bondm

Re: Wildlife in Camps

Unread post by bondm » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:13 pm

Hi, Saw the Honey Badger at Satara a couple of years ago when it ran past us about 5 o'clock in the morning. Best camp for them is Orpen. Was told a Wild Cat had been seen in the car park at Satara. You should be able to find the resident Skops Owls in the trees by the car park. Last trip in November Large Spotted Genets visited our lodge in Punda Maria and Mopani. Bush Babies are around in most camps after dark. All camps have mongooses and watch out for the snakes. You should see hyenas patrolling most camp fences in the early evening.

Enjoy your trip.

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:29 pm

We have often seen African Wild Cats at Satara. Last time, in November 2014, we saw an adult and a juvenile near our braai - they were very relaxed and spent quite some time there.

We have also seen Honey Badgers at Satara and Orpen. One time at Orpen a Honey Badger climbed up on the surface next to the sink and tried to open our car fridge which was plugged in there - it bore the paw marks for some time!

There is usually a lot of interesting bird life in all the camps. I love to just walk around the camps with my binoculars and see what I can spot.
Malelane 12th October 2016
Skukuza 16th October 2016
Lower Sabie 17th October 2016
Skukuza 2nd-5th March 2017
Satara 5th-8th March 2017
Tamboti 8th-11th March 2017

holmesneg

Unread post by holmesneg » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:29 pm

Thank you to whoever merged my question with this really interesting existing thread....much appreciated.

So, with a lot of luck it seems like there are all sorts of possibilities in camps, so we'll make sure that we're putting in the hours after dark and prowling each camp with a decent flashlight :) Is it just down to luck, or are there any recognised places (such as the trees around the car park in Satara for scops owl) where sightings are more likely than others? Or do I just need to sit around the braai giving off the smell of food and see what turns up? :) I'm really hoping for honey badger, bush baby and porcupine, with the odd owl thrown in for good measure (is pangolin too much to hope for?? :lol:)! Thanks all.

Luren

Unread post by Luren » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:14 am

Hi. We have seen plenty of lesser bushbabies in Croc bridge. Also honey badger and genet at Satara. in 2009 while braaing at Satara a Black stray cat came around. not WILD life but don't know where that came from
come what come may, the time and the hour runs through the roughest day

Return to “Kruger National Park”