Skip to Content

Bats "problem" (or not) in KTP accommodation?

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
garrow

Re: Bats "problem" (or not) in KTP accomodation ?

Unread post by garrow » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:15 pm

We laugh about pitching a tent but there is actually some truth in that statement. We were at Lower Sabie in December and had numerous encounters with bats:
1) My wife had a bat fly into her on the patio leaving a nasty bruise on her face
2) I found a bat sandwiched between my two pillows when I went to bed the one night
3) A bat decided to rest on my wife's shoulder while she was sleeping. I thought she was going to lift the thatch roof of the hut the way she screamed
4) I removed bats that were flying around in the hut on 4 occasions

In February I went to the Kruger for 6 nights on my own and camped in a tent to save costs. I must admit that I slept a lot better in the tent not having the bats flying around and dive bombing me like they did in the hut in December. The high pitched noises that they make also tend to prevent one from having a good night's sleep.

I enjoy watching the bats in Kruger and Kgalagadi when they come out to hunt for insects at dusk. I also have a family of Mauritian tomb bats that have made my home their home for the last 10 years plus. During the winter months they migrate but as soon as the summer season arrives they come back. They have never given me any problems and have on no occasion ever flown into my house. Do I like bats? Yes, bats fascinate me but I definitely do not enjoy their presence when they fly around inside the huts which they have done on numerous occasions over the last 29 years that I have visited Kruger and Kgalagadi.

Oumie
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Oumie » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:43 pm

Had a bat problem at Twee Revieren last year :(
The first night when we went to bed...out came the bats...they came through a hole in the thatch...divebombed me...SO slept like a baby :evil:
The next morning went to reception and told them about the bats...they moved us to another bungelow..the same problem when we went to bed :evil: :evil:
Oh well...pulled the sheet over my face...the bats kept on flying in and out of the bungalow... :lol:
Eventually I fell asleep :D
Twee Revieren have a huge problem with bats :(
Did not have bat problems at Nossop or Grootkolk :D
Reservations made for Kruger 2017 8)
Kalahari camp 23/9/16 - 25/9/16
Nossop 26/9/16 - 25/9/16
Twee Revieren 25/9/16 :dance:

Kgalagadi Guru
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Kgalagadi Guru » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:04 am

Hi there all,

I will take this up with the respective management and advise on what is said. Please do take note that we have had consulted experts in this field regarding the bat situation in the park and also what effect the 'Bat Houses' will have.

Regards
Head: Field Guiding
Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
jan.kriel@sanparks.org

ice

Unread post by ice » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:45 pm

I'm not sure if this is a stupid question or not - but are these bats "resident" bats, meaning they stay in the huts for more than one night...and if so, how do they survive? surely not by eating the odd mosquito that has survived our spray attacks...

Kgalagadi Guru
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Kgalagadi Guru » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:49 am

@ice,

The bats are 'resident' and they do not only feed on the mozzies but also other flying insects.
Head: Field Guiding
Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
jan.kriel@sanparks.org

ice

Unread post by ice » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:56 am

ok, I thought so - but how can there be enough food in the huts? according to an article I recently read bats may consume up to 50% of their body weight in just one night

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:50 pm

They feed outside at dusk, and come back to the huts to roost.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

john222333

Unread post by john222333 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:46 am

April 2012 we stayed in TR twice , Nossob, Mata Mata, KTC, Kkrankie, ,Grootkolk, Urik.
No prob in Urik, Kkrankie,KTC,Grootkolk
Nossob no bats but plenty of mossies
Mata Mata bats chasing mossies in room. Amusing for 5 mins
TR pretty bad, couple next to us left early, another couple left lights on all night.
It seems to me that this insurance of making roofs of natural material is a source of the problem. I took a portable ultrasound to no avail.

Div

Unread post by Div » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:21 pm

We had bats in our TR
unit in December 2012. You are very aware of them especially when the lights are turned of.
Most people struggle to be comfortable in such a situation, and the bats can be very noisy.

We accepted their presence and tried to consider it as part of the Kgalagadi experience.We also explained to our children that the bats were actually protecting them by eating all the insects.They loved the idea and our 3 year old even confidently later told me that the bats loved her as they were keeping the spiders away.

By living in our cities we expect to go to our parks to enjoy the wild, yet we still want to be in our comfort zone. This is not entirely possible. Dont get me wrong, I totally understand that people find it difficult to share their unit with bats.

My advice is to try and make the best of the situation and most certainly not let this keep you from visiting the Kgalagadi.

Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bushbuddies » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:09 pm

I just did an interesting exercise. I typed in some SANParks camps on a very famous website (where guests review places visited and one can get advise for trips), to see what guests said about our parks and camps. I also typed in Twee Rivieren. As with most camps - there were a lot of different opinions, from both South Africans as well as foreigners. But the one thing that was a negative in almost every single review over the past few years - was that of the resident bats.

I must say it does look bad if you look at it. Two years ago - people were complaining about the same problem that still exists today. I know it is not all about the tourists, and keeping them happy. A complaint here and there about this and that - one should probably not take too seriously. But everybody - even forumites who are absolutely "park-mad" complaining about it... I think this issue needs serious attention... :hmz:

So thanks to everybody here making an effort to do something about it and to Kgalagadi Guru also listening in here! :thumbs_up:
:dance: First South to North KNP trip booked! :dance:
10-11 June 2017 - Lower Sabie
12-14 June 2017 - Talamati
15-17 June 2017 - Olifants
18-20 June 2017 - Mopani
21-22 June 2017 - Punda Maria
22-23 June 2017 - Pafuri Border Camp

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by anne-marie » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:30 pm

bats problems :lol: ... sorry :redface:

they want to built new cabins... why not to built new roofs for each existent cabins :hmz:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

back home...

jan.dup

Unread post by jan.dup » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:06 am

Div wrote:
My advice is to try and make the best of the situation and most certainly not let this keep you from visiting the Kgalagadi.

Agree 100% with you.

This is a small/tiny/miny, littleness of an issue compared to the experience you get from the Park !!

Nina!

Unread post by Nina! » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:12 am

Hi Pedro,

If you stay outside the park, you lose valuable time you could spend in the park.
Why don't you chose those camps which do not have a bat problem, like e.g. Mata Mata, Kalahari Tented Camp or Nossob?
Further more, you don't have a guarantee that the accomodation outside the park is bat free.

If you take a moskito net with you, you don't have to be afraid of bats joining you in bed :D

The camps in KTP are wonderful and you would certainly enrich your experience by an overnight stay in the park. It is fantastic to wake up to the sound of lions roaring. :D

Nina

Jonkers

Unread post by Jonkers » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:31 am

hi Nina!
We had bats in MM and Nossob too!
It is with all the animals in the park, you will never know when or where it will be an interaction

Nina!

Unread post by Nina! » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:21 pm

Hi Jonkers,

You are certainly right, you never know for sure......

But it seems to me that there are some camps where bats occur more often and regularly (like e.g. TR) while in other camps, they only seem to occur occasionally ...... at least that's my experience.

Maybe it also depends on the time of the year?????

Nina

Return to “Arid Parks”