Skip to Content

The Kruger Self Catering Experience

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
carolv
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: The Kruger Self Catering Experience

Unread postby carolv » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:55 pm

I am reading these lists with great amusement...as will be many others who have to fly in!!

Sounds like one of those childrens car games but in my suitcase I pack:-

folding coolbag,
flask
leatherman (one of those things that fold up with 101 bits and pieces including mini tin opener, bottle opener, screwdriver, scissors etc etc) you'll be amazed what you can do with them
4 plastic picnic plates
2 x camping knife/fork/spoon (obviously more if there are more than 2 of you)
3 lidded boxes which pack up together eg tupperware
2 camping saucepans which stack in one another and a small frypan
packs of dried noodles
packs of dried savoury rice/pasta sauces
small box with teabags
sealable box instant coffee
box matches
pack of resealable plastic bags

Cameras, lenses, binos, newmans birdbook, minimal clothing, notepad and pens for TR, notebook to load photos each day (for back up)first aid kit, washbags.

That is more or less it - stock up in PnP or Spar before we go in...what else do you really need? I'll probably find I have forgotten something vital but there is not much luggage allowance left after packing these bits

TheunsH
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby TheunsH » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:27 pm

We are organised and disciplined campers as well...My SO (Elzet) is now also a true disciplined camper after a few camping trips and she just loves the whole camping experience!! According to her, it’s the ONLY way to experience darkest Africa and she is not interested in staying in luxury bungalows anymore. Fortunately I can say anything here about her because she was banned from this forum and can’t respond!! 8) :D

Anyway, we tow a Super Six Venter trailer (with nose-cone) with everything in it: Tent (seven man although we are only three 8) ), gazebo, tables, chairs, gas bottles, paraffin pressure stove, lanterns, blow-up mattresses, cool-bags for all our meat and other stuff, crockery and utensils, suitcases with clothes, veggies and other food for the whole trip, etc, etc. Usually we take all my beers, our milk and other drinks with and only buy wood and ice in the camp shops, but after 4 days I usually have to stock-up on the beers again at ridiculous camp shop prices. :whistle:

The bedding goes in the boot! :thumbs_up:

Bundi

Unread postby Bundi » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:48 pm

After going to Kruger since I can remember, we have done all the different kinds of accomodation possible and nothing beats camping / caravaning.

We go quite often and as a rule do not camp or tow the caravan for anything less than four nights, which means the shorter weekends will be spent in bungalows.

Anything longer though and I rather tow the caravan. For a bit more luxury during the hot months, we have fitted an aircon to the caravan, which is a total blessing.

Grantmissy
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:29 am

It looks like Carolv and Silvia enjoys their Kruger self catering experience in a very prepared way even though they have to travel much further and with other restrictions than those living in SA :D . I still think we must also try the camping option one day as the camping area always look so 8) to me. I have seen people arriving and in what appear to me in a very short space of time they are settled in, some even with a cold drink with ice in their hand on their “voorstoep” looking fresh as if they had no hard work to before they could enjoy the drink part :bdaysmile: :thumbs_up:
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby tent dweller » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:27 am

We are organized campers, we go to the Kruger every July. We have our plastic crates with all our cutlery, crockery,matches, etc stored in our pantry. I start stocking up on groceries +/- 4 weeks before leaving, we take everything with us (some shops in the park are just way too expensive), the only thing we buy everyday is ice and wood. ( after supper we like to sit around a fire so that is why we buy wood everyday) and of course if our daughter wants a ice cream we buy it from the park shop. We each have a sleeping bag and a blanket and two pillows and that is kept in our spare room, washed and ready to be used. If doing a camping/self catering holiday you have to be organized or you are more than likely to forget a few things or you are going to waste money buying things that you have forgotten at ridiculous prices which would make me very angry because I hate wasting money
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
PRETORIUSKOP 04 -06 January 2016

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:22 pm

Dabchick wrote:
Bush Baptist wrote:I always take my own braai tongs, tin opener and a pot.

That :thumbs_up: and a sharp knife - one that can actually cut the tomatoes for the "braai-broodjies"...

And of course travel mugs - for the first cup of coffee in the morning - which get's mixed in the camp, but only enjoyed once we're out the gate.... (or waiting for the gate to open)

Agreed :thumbs_up:
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

judik

Unread postby judik » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:49 pm

For camping at home I have dedicated bins with all the cooking stuff,camp stove etc ready to go
however lugging those bins to Kruger would be a bit of a hassle 8)
I now bring a sharp knife and this trip if space and weigh permits(like others i try to keep it at 20kg)I plan on bringing a fry pan which can double as a cooking vessel.Saucepans are too wide
Stock up at the butcher in Phalaborwa and Woolworth's for other necessities
Bring my own whiskey as American bourbon is the best
Being from the Seattle area i like my coffee so I bring that and a french press
Also a wine opener so i can drink your superb wine
5/8 Satara
5/9 Skukuza
5/10 Biyamiti
5/11 Biyamiti
5/12 Lower Sabie
5/13 Biyamiti
5/18-5/21 Mpila Camp

Grantmissy
FAC Member (2015)

Unread postby Grantmissy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:27 am

judik wrote:Also a wine opener so i can drink your superb wine

Judik I agree. They sell a good selection in the Park Shops for enjoyment around the evening fire :great:.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

brewersfriend

Re: Self- catering

Unread postby brewersfriend » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:26 pm

Thanks to everyone who has supplied help.
One further question - as I have never braaid in the Kruger - what is the form about using one? Where do you put the remnants of the fire?, are there tools to clean it? What is an easy way to clean the grill etc. etc.?
Or do you just leave it to be cleaned with the room - please help I've no idea.

Brewersfriend
Satara 3-6 Sept 2015
Letaba 7-8 Sept 2015
Oliphants 9-10 Sept 2015
Lower Sabie 11- 15 Sept 2015

I don't know of a wine that doesn't improve with quantity!

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:50 pm

Hi Brewersfriend

Just let the fire die down, and in the morning the cleaning staff will remove the ashes, and clean the braai. Not all clean the grid. There is this theory that one should never clean a braai grid, rather 'burn' it clean when you make a fresh fire before cooking on it.

This pearl of wisdom shared here with you by a vegetarian :whistle:

:wink:

granjan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby granjan » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:47 pm

For my 2 week trip earlier this month, I bought a cheap but quite adequate cool box in Picknpay in Malelane. Spar only had quite expensive ones. the Spar butcher happily vacuum packed meat for me and I ate the last steak the night before I left and it was delicious[after 2 weeks]
The cleaning lady at Berg an Dal was delighted with the cool box [and the 4 kilos of rice from my beanbag!]

Travelstory

What are your top 5 items never to forget to bring to Kruger

Unread postby Travelstory » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:40 pm

So happy to have booked my 8th trip to Kruger; my SO's second. It's been four long years. Already starting to pack even though we are months away. We all bring binoculars, camera, coolers and such. But we must all have some special things that we have discovered over the years/trips that we can no longer go on a trip to Kruger without.

Here are mine:

Rubber Snakes - we put them outside near the food which helps keep the monkeys away!
Large Insulated Mugs - so we can take coffee with us on those early morning game drives
Comfy Camp Chairs - we only book perimeter accommodations and sometime like to chill all day outside
Cigarette Lighter charger we can use in the car to charge our items while driving (camera batteries and such)
Whistle - You never know...., so I always have one around my neck especially around camp at dark

What are yours?? Looking forward to getting great ideas!

Dana

Sheenaugh-Lee
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: What are your top 5 items never to forget to bring to Kr

Unread postby Sheenaugh-Lee » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:25 pm

* Egg Lifter
* Can Opener
* Fan
* Comfy chairs and pillows
* Chargers for camara and Phone
Im still In LOVE with my Kruger!

Home is where the Heart is and my Heart lies in the Kruger ...FACT!

dellac
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby dellac » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:46 pm

Sheenaugh-Lee wrote:
Carol g wrote:Amarula
Can opener
Beer for SO
Charger for camera and phone
Tabard for mozies
Thermos flask for coffee and rusks

uh uh Carol yor cheating your only allowed 5 items so youll have to drop the amarula :D :D

Oh no SL .. I think she will have to drop the SOs beer :whistle: :whistle:

Delene D
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Delene D » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:52 pm

Black flat bottomed cast iron pot for bread (Bakpot - also used for stews and roasts when time allows)
Flask for coffee (to have early morning at the dam, view site, etc. with my rusks and boerekoekies)
Mozzie medication (I take a homoeopathic one- no after effects)
Plenty of cash(Petrol Card) for petrol - we like to criss-cross the park (the last 6 week trip we did 6000 kms in KNP)
Torch with rechargeable batteries - essential at night to avoid the creepy crawlies.
And if I don't take beer for the SO I will be left at home - there that is also 6. Sorry :whistle:

Return to “Kruger National Park”