Skip to Content

Is the Cam Down?

Discuss the Orpen (KNP), Satara (KNP), Addo and Nossob (KTP) webcams
Danie
Guru
Guru

Re: Is the Cam Down?

Unread post by Danie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:52 pm

vinkie wrote:Yes, Satara Cam is back :clap: but the spotlight still seems to be down :evil:

Thanks for fixing the problem at Satara :thumbs_up:

Has there been a change in angle of the Orpen Webcam :shock: :? .....we seem to be missing the lower half of the view, cam seems to be tilted upwards :hmz:

The flood light at Satara has been switched off (for now) as it is tripping the power to the water hole (also taking down the power to the webcam). Technicians were at the waterhole today (with a "not so impressed" elephant watching them :twisted: - you might have seen the rangers with rifles keeping an eye on the safety of the technicians!).
and the elephant finally turned his back on the rangers and technicians (see top right hand corner of the next image) - Thanks Super Mongoose for capturing these images...)
Electricians will be looking into the problem which might be related to the wet weather experienced the past week or so. Water might have sneaked into the electrical feed to the flood light, causing the earth leakage to trip. It was decided to switch the flood light off until the electrical problem can be traced and repaired and at least keep the power up to the webcam itself. The water hole is vaguely visible in the available moonlight! ;)

Orpen seems to be fine - full view available. :hmz: Perhaps when Vinkie checked, there might have been a problem although we did not change anything... I'll keep an eye on Orpen's angle of view! Thanks for letting us know Vinkie! :thumbs_up:

Happy camming!
Regards

Danie Pretorius
Senior Manager: IT Infrastructure
South African National Parks (SANParks)

melph68
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by melph68 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:06 am

JenB wrote:Image

JenB wrote:Image
Submitted by kyknetta and Philip1.

A big thank you to Danie, SANParks IT and the Satara staff for fixing up the flood light :gflower: :gflower: :gflower:
It's so wonderful to be able to see the waterhole at night again :D :thumbs_up:
March 2012
Kruger, Karoo, Addo

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:10 pm

Danie wrote: I avoided the webcams' views on purpose!

This is not an arm or a ladder, so... not you, Danie ? :wink:

Submitted by LindaE
aquila non capit muscas

Danie
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Danie » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:53 pm

Eish Matthys, this must have happened just before we disabled or after we enabled the webcam again...this was not supposed to happen :) It shows you that nothing escapes our fast webcammers and forumites!
Regards

Danie Pretorius

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:15 pm

Great to see our Cam Hero :gflower: @work, Danie.
aquila non capit muscas

Danie
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Danie » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:12 pm

Dear All

There are some gremlins in the network preventing the images from our webcams to be uploaded to the web server. The webcams are all fine and online and I can 'see' them all here from Pretoria on our Wide Area Network (WAN).

See below that the cams are up and running (check the date/time stamp in the viewer):

Satara:

Orpen:

Nossob:

Addo:

I know the above does not help you a lot but at least there is nothing wrong with the cams or the communication links to the webcams. The problem seems to be security related to get the images 'out' of our network to the webcam server in the USA.

Thanks for all the offers to assist in physically fixing the webcams on site in Kruger, Kgalagadi and Addo but they are all fine (see above)! :wink:

We hope to have an update soon!
Regards

Danie Pretorius

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:27 pm

Men at work 8) ?
aquila non capit muscas

Danie
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Danie » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:17 pm

My colleagues at Orpen fixed the flood light about an hour ago just after dark! Thanks to the technical team and camp management at Orpen!

I noticed that the preset angles of the programmed tour on the webcam is out with a few degrees to the left (north) on the webcam at the moment...I will fix that remotely during the day tomorrow..

Happy camming!
Regards

Danie Pretorius

SANParks
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SANParks » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:02 am

lion queen wrote:Love the new "We are experiencing technical troubles" photo!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you, both.

The credit goes to our loyal and adorable and still hard working ex-Mod Wild@Heart... He keeps us on our toes. :D
Nedret Saidova
Senior Manager: E-Business, SANParks

Danie
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Danie » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:07 pm

We have received some bad news around Addo Webcam from the technician who was at the site :cry: .

It looks like the webcam at Addo has been damaged as it does not even switch on. It is difficult to assess what the problem is and the webcam is on its way to be evaluated and tested as all basic tests on site pointed to the webcam itself.

We'll keep you up to date with the progress as there might be involvement from our insurance company as well.

Thanks for your patience! Keep on camming as the webcams at Satara, Orpen and Nossob are still alive and well! :)
Regards

Danie Pretorius

Danie
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Danie » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:39 pm

Nossob webcam is online again. Apologies for the delay and downtime. I added some security around the control and changing angle of the camera and that caused the server not being able to properly access the images on the webcam at Nossob.

The security was added to prevent possible access to control the camera. For the past few weeks somebody manipulated the angle/view of the camera and left the camera in that position causing lots of unhappy viewers.

It seems like this added security measure also caused issues for the webserver to access the images generated by the camera. This is not mentioned in any documentation of the camera and we assume that was the cause of this error. Apologies for that. Nossob is online again.

Happy camming!
Regards

Danie Pretorius

Danie
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Danie » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:20 pm

Stampajane wrote:Thank you Danie, although I must confess that I did like the wide angle view of Nossob especially when there were thunderstorms building up.

Thanks for the feedback Stampajane! We'll look into programming the camera in a tour as well, similar to the other SANParks webcams. That will give you nice wide angle views of thunderstorms, etc as well as closeups on the waterhole which we are also getting requests for...still the old dilemma: to zoom or not! We try to satisfy needs of our valued virtual visitors as far as possible!

Will look into it! Happy camming for now!
Regards

Danie Pretorius

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:14 am

Danie wrote:
ritad wrote:thank you Danie :gflower: :k

I have asked my colleagues @ Orpen again to fix the angle of the flood light as it seems to have moved again. They will look into a more permanent solution! Apologies!

Thank you, Danie and colleagues @ Orpen :gflower:
aquila non capit muscas

melph68
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by melph68 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:35 am

Dear Addo cam maintenance team, please could you have a look at the cam settings for us :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

It would be wonderful to get the cam light working for the midnight shift (12am to 5am) so we can see more of the lions hanging around the waterhole recently :gflower: :gflower: :gflower: :gflower:

March 2012
Kruger, Karoo, Addo

Danie
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Danie » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:02 pm

melph68 wrote:Thanks for putting Orpen cam back on track for us Danie :D :D :D

But perhaps it still needs a slight adjustment :thumbs_up:

Thank you :gflower:

Hi melph68

I adjusted each preset to a new position (reprogrammed) earlier this morning so the angles should be fine again. I assume one of my four legged colleagues :) around Orpen Webcam bumped the cam or the pole it is attached too as all the programmed positions were off by more or less the same number of degrees!

Happy camming!
Regards

Danie Pretorius

Return to “Webcams”