Kgalagadi leopard identification

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
frisian

Re: Kgalagadi leopard identification

Unread post by frisian » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:37 pm

Hi Shane,
this was the only leopard we saw. :(

But here is a second picture:

in Kruger in August 2007, Oktober 2008, Oktober 2009, March 2011, March 2012 and Christmas in 2013
Christmas 2012 in KTP!!

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:21 am

Thanks for the sighting frisian, good to know she was in the tree all day. :thumbs_up:
You said you didn't have any other leopard sighitngs on this trip but have you had any in the past in KTP? If you have i'd love to have them for my records.
Kgalagadi Leopard Project
http://www.ast.uct.ac.za/~schurch/leopards/

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

frisian

Unread post by frisian » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:46 pm

Sorry AstroMatt,
this was the first visit to KTP. We have only been to the KNP.
in Kruger in August 2007, Oktober 2008, Oktober 2009, March 2011, March 2012 and Christmas in 2013
Christmas 2012 in KTP!!

Sharifa

Unread post by Sharifa » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:27 pm

On the morning of the 30 December 2012 we saw Miera again at Montrose :D

She was feeding under a tree

but did get up

sit again

make her way to the waterhole

and have a drink

Sharifa

Unread post by Sharifa » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:27 am

Hi anne marie Sheenaugh Lee. We noticed this behaviour with cheetahs too. Not sure what it is, possibly their reflection in the water or maybe just the smell of lions because we have not seen lions do this when drinking at the waterholes. Below a picture of Lisettes cubs doing the same thing.

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:46 pm

Very odd behaviour indeed. I've not noticed it myself. I wonder if it has something to do with them being younger animals and so a bit more cautious with water.

I have just finished the most recent release of the guide. It is up on the website and has todays date on the file name. The guide has grown recently with the addition of quite a few new leopards so naturally it is a larger file. I know this is quite a lot for some people to download but without sacrificing picture quality and usability it is hard to make it smaller.

So a brief list of the updates (apologises if i miss any).
New Leopards: L-12 (Rooiputs cub), Isidima, Warona (Auchterlonie Female's cub), Nkwe, Tshidi and Seleka (Barolong's cubs), N!xau (out of retirement) and L-11 (Safran's cub).

I have moved Maja, No12 and Twin to the historical section as they haven't been seen for over 2 years now :(

There are new pictures for: Rooiputs, Amur and N!xau.

Other updates have been to range maps and last sighting dates. There have been a lot of these and i don't have a list of all the changes.

If you have any comments or notice any mistakes then do please point them out to me.
I hope you all like the new version and can put it to good use.
Last edited by AstroMatt on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by anne-marie » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:57 pm

yes Sharifa, it's possible...the reflection could be a problem (like this one in Kruger, seeing its image on the side of the car)
thanks AstroMatt :clap:
:hmz: got a question...L-11 is not a name :?
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

back home...

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:10 pm

You're right :redface: , L-11 isn't a name but i didn't want to delay getting the next version out much longer. He only went in quite last minute due to the severe lack of photos. I also want to speak to some people who saw him quite early on as they were (sort of) part of the first group of people to report him.
But don't worry he'll get one pretty soon....you'll just have to provide me with the photos ;)

F1/2014

peterpiper
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by peterpiper » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:44 pm

Here's one of the cubs outside Twee Rivieren taken on the 28 January 2013

Home is where you hang your @

peterpiper
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by peterpiper » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:03 pm

BTW I noticed the same behaviour now in Feb at that waterhole from Wildebeest. There was no other water and after a few attempts to get water they eventually gave up and left without drinking. Something must be in there.
Bees? Wasps? Maybe a Honey badger den? Large cobra?
Would love to know.
It's not the reflection.

peterpiper
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by peterpiper » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:13 pm

Very much later when it was nearly dark, the mother appeared with both cubs suddenly and crossed the river. I could not get a decent pic of the three of them but here she is with one of the cubs. This was about 5 minutes before the gates closed.

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

BUSY - Kgalagadi leopard identification

Unread post by AstroMatt » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:56 pm

Lovely sighting Peterpiper :thumbs_up:
The wonderful picture of the cub under the tree is the same cub as KG posted in the Recent SIghtings thread...L-12 (name will change).

The second picture is Rooiputs on the left and the second cub. This is the first picture of the second cub i've seen. :clap:

Could i ask you to send me an email with the sighitng info, and attach as many pics as you can of the cubs. They will be really very useful for the guide. :pray:

F1/2014

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!

Unread post by wanderw » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:15 am

Just catching up again after a long absence from the forum.

WOW! Fantastic sightings Sharifa, shane, frisian and peterpiper! :dance:
Thank you all for posting! :gflower:

A very interesting sighting of Dakotah and Amur. Also, great to know that Barolong's cubs are doing well, also that Rooiputs and her cubs are happy and healthy. :D

I am still hoping for more posts/info on Safran's cub. :pray:

Just a note - there are now 49 leopards in the ID guide/project(with peterpiper's 2nd Rooiputs cub)! :dance: (AstroMatt - it has come quite a way from nov 2011! :thumbs_up: :clap: :clap: :clap: )

So, who will post/report the 50th leo? :whistle:
Kgalagadi Leopard Identification Guide and Sightings Form

F2/2014

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:27 pm

I've still not had a 50th leopard identification yet so it is still up for grabs...@Anne-Marie, you must be heading up soon so fingers crossed :pray:

These last few months I've been trying to increase the general awareness of the leopard id project with the aim of increasing reports of the kgalagadi leopards. This has been done through more guides in the park and some flyers in a few camps. I've also created a website, the address is the same as where the guide was http://www.ast.uct.ac.za/~schurch/leopards/ . It contains some of the basic information about the project, how it started, science issues, recent guide etc. A major part of the site is a sighting report web form. It is easy to fill in and will automatically send me the details of your sighting with all the infor i need from you. You'll still need to email me the confirmation photos as i've not found a way of allowing them to be uploaded yet, but i'm working on it.

My plan is that this web report from will replace the sighting spread sheet that i've been asking people to fill in. Obviously please continue reporting here too as everyone likes to see the shots you get, not just me ;). However, if you've been luck enough to have a whole bunch of leopard sightings then it might actually be easier to use the spreadsheet....its up to you :) I've updated the spreadsheet so that it matches the questions on the web form so please download a new version.

The site will be evolving as i have time...hopefully with identification pages and more info on each leopard, so watch this space.
Please take a look at this site and let me know what you think. I'd also really appreciate you sharing it with any friends or people you meet both whilst in and out of the Kgalagadi.

Cheers
Astromatt

F1/2014

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:43 pm

I just received a great sighting from Andreas Schenke. :thumbs_up:
On the 3rd March just a few hundred metres north of the lower dune road turn off he spotted Warona coming out of a cave and along the calcrete ridge. He didn't see the Auchterlonie female but he heard they have been seen together. Here are a few of the photos he managed to get.

F1/2014

Return to “Arid Parks”