Skip to Content

Point and Shoot Digital Camaras

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
marionelspeth

Nikon Coolpix 510 camera

Unread post by marionelspeth » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:13 pm

Hi & Happy New Year!!, I am planning on buying a Nikon Coolpix 510 camera for my 2 week trip to the Kruger Park in May 2013. I am not an experienced photographer and I am looking for a camera that is reasonably easy to use for taking photos of animals and birds. Can anyone advise on the suitability of the Coolpix 510 for my trip? Thanks, Marion 8)

fee

Re: Nikon Coolpix 510 camera

Unread post by fee » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:04 pm

Hi
I am not a professional photographer so this is my view.
I suggest the camera you are purchasing has a good optical zoom eg if its x 5 optical zoom that is for photos near to you and definitely not suitable for anything at a distance. A good optical zoom for you is
a x20 to25, or even higher for photos further away.
The mega pixels the camera should have is from 14 mega pixels upwards for good quality photos.

I have been using a Canon sx30is ( x 35 optical zoom) which has given me amazing photos and its easy to use. I have awesome videos with it too. It has many functions but if you keep it on auto you will do well.

Hope my 5c worth helps you.
I am sure there are many pros on this site who will also give you info.

Scops

Unread post by Scops » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:44 pm

hi Marion,

I went though the same questions as you last year and eventually bought the Nikon coolpix P510.
It is awesome - especially for someone like me who likes wildlife pics and doesnt want to change lens, cart bags around and have too learn to much technical stuff :redface:

Even when zoomed in the clarity is fantastic and it is v easy to use and carry around.

My friends are amazed at how nice some of my photos are for someone of my level in photography and I tell them quite honestly that it is all down to the camera.

Good luck and enjoy your trip !
Scops

timbo
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by timbo » Thu May 16, 2013 8:41 pm

Pawps wrote:Many thanks, Marion and EJ, I think I'll go with the P510 and I'm sure we won't be disappointed. Thanks for the link as well. Have a wonderful 3 weeks - very envious, and looking forward to seeing all your pics when you get back. Hamba gahle!

Isnt there a p520 now?

http://www.dpreview.com/products/Nikon/ ... kon_cpp520
I try my best and that's what matters I hope.

badprop_za

Recommended superzoom cameras

Unread post by badprop_za » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:39 pm

Hi guys, hope all is well.

It is almost time for my annual trip to KNP and can't wait.

I am looking to buy a superzoom camera for my wife to use. My budget is around R2k-R2,5k.
I am using a Nikon D3000 with a 70-300 lens. My wife is not keen on using it, and prefers something smaller. As you can guess, I want the ability to take good photos of animals, etc in the distance.
I would also like to have video recording ability.

What is your recommendations?
Why do time fly when you are having fun?

KNP - May'14 done and dusted :cry:

KNP - 14 Aug'15 to 21 Aug'15 done and dusted :cry:

KNP - 16 Dec'16 to 27 Dec'16 :dance: :dance:

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Recommended superzoom cameras

Unread post by bert » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:58 pm

Txs for the compliment Arks :thumbs_up:
Other good bridge camera's are
Fujifilm X S1
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digita ... film_x_s1/

What i have heard about it is that the lens is a bit heavy and not so easy to handle

And the Canon SX50HS
http://www.canon.co.za/For_Home/Product ... index.aspx

Or the Canon SX500IS, which is way cheaper but still a great camera. (just within your budget)
http://www.pricecheck.co.za/offers/3907 ... hot+SX500/

Or Nikon Coolpix P520
(1000 mm Zoom!)
All camera's have a very good movie making systeem and some allow take RAW photography
btw, there are cheaper ones of abovementioned brands, still with a decent 600mm lens but only in JPG quality

The question is: top quality images or for home and personal enjoyment.

saraf

Unread post by saraf » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:56 am

Always goes to show that it's better to go and test drive a camera before you spend a lot of money.

I came across this article recently. Although he isn't a wildlife photographer as such, some valid points were made.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

moobox
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by moobox » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:18 pm

So I'm looking at getting a new superzoom camera. For the amount of photography I do and the investment that I want to make, it just makes a lot more sense than the outlay I would need to go the DSLR route. And I see that Sony has a 50X zoom and so does Canon. The Sony MP spec is more impressive than the Canon's but some people reckon that is not the most important feature. Canon on the other hand can store pics in RAW format whereas Sony is just JPG. And speaking with a photographer the other day, he reckons that is pretty important to him.

Anyone around here have any opinions and input on these two cameras and the offerings? Maybe other options to consider as we3ll?

Cheers - Ed

bert

Unread post by bert » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:58 pm

Hi Ed
These days the superzooms are all very good
I will always go for RAW
Unless you do not intend to spend a lot of time editing

Dont let the specs be a big issue
All superzooms deliver a great to good image quality up to 400 iso
Above that the quality drops.
That is the big difference with the new DSLR.
Great image quality up to 1200 iso

And DSLR are still faster.
I own both and the big difference for me is still image quality with a fixed prime DSLR lens
Nothing beats the 300 4.0 L lens for my Canon DSLR.
The same with wide angle shots
The prime lens is still tops

But for zoom lensing i dont see to much difference between the 2 and use both camera's in Kruger

nazu

What camera do i buy?

Unread post by nazu » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:12 am

Hi there, I'm hoping someone can help me please. I'm looking for a camera in the price range of about R3500. I don't want a dslr because of the hassle of carrying around so many lenses and the costs at a later stage. I will be mostly using it in Kruger. What are the latest good quality cameras out at the moment?

PietSkiet
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: What camera do i buy?

Unread post by PietSkiet » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:25 am

Hi nazu,

Welcome to the forum. I am no camera expert but we bought a Canon powershot last year this time for R2,800 if I remember correctly. A small compact camera with very good zoom and high mega pixels. Went on two trips to KNP this year and took some very nice photos definitely not looking back. If you look at my trip report (link in my signature) all the family photos were taken with that camera and some of the game photos as well, can't recall which ones.
This vulture was about 200m in
Latest TR viewtopic.php?f=27&t=85674

Biyamiti 8 August 2015 - 9 August 2015
Satara 10 August 2015 - 12 August 2015
Roodewal 26 December 2015 - 28 December 2015

spargish
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by spargish » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:06 pm

Hi Nazu

I have the Cannon powershot SX40HS

Its a great bridge camera and I think you may be able to find it for around R3500 as there is a newer model (SX50). I personally think the sx40 is a better camera, my dad has the SX50 and I much prefer the SX40.
NO to OSV privleges! Equality for all Guests!
TR Cricket Days and last nights of Summer now on

Phokojwe
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Phokojwe » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:29 pm

Hi Nazu

Welcome :)

I agree, if you not looking to spend alot of money, a bridge or ultra zoom is the way to go.

As spargish has mentioned, the Canon SX40/SX50 are both excellent cameras.
Nikon also has the P510 and the newer P520 which you can also have a look at.
For an authentic Wilderness experience.... Bushcamps offered by the SANParks Honorary Rangers

moobox
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Samsung

Unread post by moobox » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:04 pm

People! I am pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Canon 70D. And then this morning I took a look at DPReview again and saw the latest announcement by Samsung.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/01/07 ... =title_0_4

A bridge camera. Now, I own a Sony bridge camera but this looks a bit different. I will certainly wait to see more precise specifications on it's capabilities. But not sure what kind of photographer I really want to be so this may be the way to go.

Any thoughts?

GRYSBOK

Re: Samsung

Unread post by GRYSBOK » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:25 pm

Your last sentence says it all. You need to decide what type of photographer you want to be. If you only want pictures without a concern for quality then you can buy about anything that you can afford. If it is quality you are after and want to be serious about your photography then the 70D is really what you want.

Amongst other things, picture quality depends on pixel density and size. Consider the following technical aspects: the 16MP of the Samsung is squeezed into a sensor area of about 28 sq mm whilst the sensor area of the 70D is about 337 sq mm. A full size sensor - such as the 5D and 6D- has a sensor area of about 864 sq mm. This can make a big difference to picture quality and of course to the price of the camera. The 70D IMHO will also afford you much more flexibility when it comes to lens choices. In the end its horses for courses. You first need to decide what type of photographer you want to be.

Happy hunting.

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”