Skip to Content

Kgalagadi: Nossob Camp

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
Div

Re: Nossob river side

Unread post by Div » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:06 pm

Except for the Giraffe which stay on the Auob side near Mata Mata, you will have the chance to see all the animals on both sides of the rivers.

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:42 pm

Hi Panekoek,

I was a bit disappointed in the Auob site this July when we stayed at Mata-Mata. In Dec we only stayed in Nossob and had lots of predator sightings, so for me Nossob is the best. The secret is to stay for at least 5 days and try to include Grootkolk / Polentswa so that you don't have to do a day trip up to Unions end, but also visit that area.

The Auob river is at most place to as wide as Nossob and the road follow the river much closer than the road along the Nossob, therefore you might get better close-up sighting there. During our Dec trip nearly all our sightings of lions was in the road and some stayed there for 4 - 8 hours. It was only the cheetah we did not get too close and we were also surprised by Brown hyena crossing the road in front of us twice.

You going to enjoy this trip and no matter where, but my vote goes for NOSSOB :thumbs_up:
Trip Reports - Painted, spotted and striped animals of the Koppies, TT of Three Arid Parks near Namibia in April 2015

GavinW
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Travel tale of the Year - Other Parks (2015)

Unread post by GavinW » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:11 pm

Both sides are good.t's all about being at the right place at the right time, and NOT chasing sightings

See our latest Trip report here :D

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=62684
Regards
Gavin
See our trip reports:

Christmas Trees in the Kalahari May 2012
Winner Travel Tale of the year - Other Parks 2012

Wannabe Larnies in the KTP December/Jan 2015
Winner Travel Tale of the year - Other Parks 2015

forestgump
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Kgalagadi: Nossob Camp

Unread post by forestgump » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:31 pm

All taken from Nossob hide , December 2012.

Nossob a great camp ! :thumbs_up:
12th to 18th Dec 2015 Berg n Dal
18th to 27th Dec Punda Maria

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:55 pm

Sharifa wrote:Hey, forestgump I know those two under the hide!!!! :lol: :thumbs_up:

We only saw the female, and missed the cheetahs. :( They were flat cats, and thus invisible.
But we did get the female guarding the kill:
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

andyaxa

Unread post by andyaxa » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:56 am

Can anyone shed some light on the differences between CH3 and CH4 chalets, especially with regard to location in the camp?
Thanks much!
KNP 2016- Shimuwini 23 July - Olifants 24, 25 July - Talamati 26,27,28 July - Biyamiti 29,30,31 July

gannet

Unread post by gannet » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:51 am

andyaxa
- for type description hover your cursor over unit type https://www.sanparks.org/parks/kgalagad ... camp_id=56
- current unit types with known respective numbers; see "home-made-pic"
Attachments
camp_map NOSSOB (with numbers).jpg
AVIATION IN ITSELF IS NOT INHERENTLY DANGEROUS, BUT TO AN EVEN GREATER DEGREE THAN THE SEA,
IT IS TERRIBLY UNFORGIVING OF ANY CARELESSNESS, INCAPACITY OR NEGLECT.

shebeen

Unread post by shebeen » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:54 am

Hello all!

We're going to be spending a week at nossob in the school holidays (1st week of october).
3 parties, camping with 4 little future game rangers, ages almost 2 to almost 5 (We intend using the pool!).

We're debating whether it is worth it taking bikes along for the kids (little pedal bikes/plastic ones). Can be a real good energy release for them, but a bit concerned about a)the internal roads being a bit soft/sandy b)traffic within the camp site.

any thoughts/comments? would be a real hassle dragging them all the way there if we don't use them.

any other suggestions/ideas that are pertinent to young kids at nossob welcome

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:58 pm

Hi Shebeen,

May you have many pleasant hours amongst us, and hopefully find out what you would like to know.

Bikes and plastic motorbikes and not allowed in camps in the first place, but the camp is soft sand and wouldn't really work anyway.

There is an easy walk among the trees in the camp where birds can be seen, as well as those that come to drink at the taps. The hide is great, but the attention span of small children could be a challenge.

The pool is your best bet, but with supervision. When it gets hot allcomers visit it - like 2 - 90!

Not wanting to alarm you, but just be vigilant. Jackals get into camps at dusk, and their favourite pastime is to relieve you of your braai meat, just be aware of where your small children are, plus there are scorpions, so make them put shoes on at night, especially windy nights.

Nossob is a great camp, but maybe not for small children. A few years ago I led a large group and all the children played cricket in the camping area. There are no real roads except at the entrance, and the hide is the best.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

judik

Unread post by judik » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:43 pm

andyaxa-I've stayed in both and I simply do not like the CH4. Yes you have an anteroom with an additional sleeping area but the layout sucks.I was there in Feb and it was stifling as the rooms are separated and there was no air flow.Besides the CH3 are further in the back.Of course with the new construction it might not be as quiet as it was
9/10/16 TR
10/10-12 Nossob
12/10-14 KTC
14/10-15 KK
15/10-16 MM
16/10 Urikaruus
17/10 KK

andyaxa

Unread post by andyaxa » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:25 pm

Thanks, Judik!
It looked as if CH3 was more secluded but couldn't quite tell from the map. We loved the bush camps in KNP for the quieter experience. Would prefer another wilderness camp option on the Nossob side, but I think we'll go with CH3 and hope construction is nearing an end in January.
KNP 2016- Shimuwini 23 July - Olifants 24, 25 July - Talamati 26,27,28 July - Biyamiti 29,30,31 July

Return to “Arid Parks”