Skip to Content

Kgalagadi: trailers, caravans & motorhomes

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
kevjones

Re: 4X4 trailers between Nossob and Mabuasheube?

Unread postby kevjones » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:04 pm

Your information is not totally correct. There are 2 roads between Nossob and Mabuasenhube. The top road is actually a trail and runs in one direction only and you CANNOT take a trailer or CARAVAN on that trail. You need a good 4x4 with low range for the trail. The bottom road is the "public" road and you can pull a trailer on that road. The only sand dunes you need to be wary of are the ones coming out of Nossob. The rest is quite firm and you should have no problems. We are travelling the other way around in March from Mabuasenhube to Nossob wit three 4x4's all pulling trailers. We will stop over at Matomi.

LauraC

KTP - Trailer advice please

Unread postby LauraC » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:58 pm

I would appreciate advice regarding a trailer in Kgalagadi. Do we need to hire a 4 X 4 trailer or can we use our little standard luggage Venter trailer without coming back with no chassis. We have never been there before. 4 adults in 1 Pajero staying for 14 days in June so need to take quite a lot with us. Staying at Twee Rivieren, Urikaruus, Nossob, Mata Mata, KalahariTented Camp, Kieliekrankie. Not camping anywhere.

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Re: KTP - Trailer advice PLEASE

Unread postby lion queen » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:09 pm

Hi LauraC and welcome to the forum!!!......... :thumbs_up:

I would think twice before going with a normal Venter trailer. We've seen so many of them broken down next to the road over the years. You'll be doing quite a lot of traveling between camps so your trailer will be taking some beating on the roads. Saw a bakkie earlier the month stranded with broken Spring blades.

Maybe of of the musketeers have a brilliant solution on how we could give your Venter some botox????
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

expat
Location: England, previously Rietvlei, Natal - hankering to be back in KTP

Re: Kgalagadi: trailers, caravans & motorhomes

Unread postby expat » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:34 pm

I see this thread has not been used in a while but trust it is still open. Can anyone tell me if it's OK to bring a Motorhome in at TR and travel up to Nossob where we would exit into Namibia? We are planning a trip for 2015 and I know the road conditions will be different then, but I have never seen a motorhome during our previous trips.
expat

billyf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby billyf » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:34 pm

Hi expat, you can certainly hire 4x4 motorhomes that will easily handle the Kgalagadi roads - you just need to deflate the tyres to give you a more comfortable ride. These can be hired in Windhoek, Cape Town and Johannesburg, not sure bout availability in Upington.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Elize de Klerk

Unread postby Elize de Klerk » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:46 pm

We were in Kgalagadi Des 2013 and we drive a VW Amarok with a camper on. That was no problem. All the roads was very good! There was also small sedan vehicles. Enjoy!

expat
Location: England, previously Rietvlei, Natal - hankering to be back in KTP

Unread postby expat » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:15 pm

Many thanks to all who gave valuable advice. Sadly we are unable to hire a motorhome from Upington Airport, but maybe it is as well, as we would not want to hurt it and we have experienced some horrendous road conditions on previous trips! 4x4 motohomes are beyond our budget. Will have to reconsider our plans.
expat

Return to “Arid Parks”