Tamboti Satellite Camp

Discuss the different camps and roads of the Kruger National Park
Leanawel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Tamboti Satellite Camp

Unread post by Leanawel » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:52 am

Anne Marie and Cheetah :D

Me too ... love that camp because of the wildness - one really feels small in comparison with the WILD. An ellie feeding 3 metres from where I sat at tent 40, looking in my eyes and I could sense that he/she was approving of me :doh: ... sitting very :big_eyes: still for about 30 minutes ... Tamboti is very special :thumbs_up: But I agree, not for small children.

Mandinga

Unread post by Mandinga » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:33 pm

We stayed at Tamboti for the first time in July.
Stayed at #9, which is very close to the communal kitchen and bathrooms.

Upon arrival, when my wife spotted the dense vegetation inside the camp, she wanted us to pack up and look for alternative accommodation. :doh:
She couldn't believe how "recklessly irresponsible" I was to book our young family into such a wild place.
Later that evening, after experiencing the camp's mood a little bit more, she got to unwind and welcomed the break from busy camps.

We had a huge ellie along the fence on most nights. Whooping hyenas too. :thumbs_up:

We ended loving the wilderness experience.
What a great lovely quiet corner of the Kruger.

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:11 pm

Tam is a bit different from 'traditional' Kruger camps and not for everyone.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

bushbuck87

Unread post by bushbuck87 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:39 pm

We have just returned from Kruger and stayed at Tamboti for four nights in No 10 tent which is close to the bathrooms and kitchen and is highly recommended. But BABOONS WATCH OUT YOUR FOOD IS NOT SAFE IN THE TENT. The tent No 9 and 12 were raided every day and the people lost all their food and even the fridges wer cleaned out. When you book in you will be given a pamphlet on detering the baboon problem, follow it. On the veranda there is a lockup cage you can store your food in, one thing take a few 30 or 40 mm locks with you to lock this for your food to be 99% safe. Close all the tent flaps so the baboons can`t see in and if you are still worried keep your food in the car. I observed the baboons know when the camp is least bussy and that in the morning between when most people have left for their drive and before the cleaning staff arrive for duty, and then in the late afternoon before you get back before gate closing time.

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Sat May 04, 2013 12:29 pm

Heading towards Satara, the turn off to Tam is withing sight of Orpen camp, about 500 metres down the H7, to the left. After about a km the road splits. To the left is Maroela and to the right is Tamboti about 1 km further.

Check in at Orpen at least 20 minutes before gate closing. THere are no routes around Orpen, only the Tam access road.

Hyenas patrol the fence at night, and lion & leopard have been seen ithe river bed, plus eles in the area.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

kallis1786
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by kallis1786 » Sat May 04, 2013 11:57 pm

BB, You're a LEGEND.

Thanks for all the advice,

I will do exactly that, and with soo many fantastic sightings around Tambots, I would like to ask you another question. Is it possible to park cars in between the Tent's, and because I do not have the best use of words, I have decided to put a pic, and my main reason for asking this, is because I would like to know if I can use the Headlights on the car to see if something is walking around in the riverbed such as Lions.

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by onewithnature » Sun May 05, 2013 3:15 am

Kallis, there are designated parking bays for each tent, and vehicles are not allowed to park in non-designated areas. There is a foot path that leads from the parking bay to the actual tent, but no vehicles are allowed to drive here. (In any case, I have serious doubts that they could fit there.) One is also not allowed to disturb other visitors and also to unduly stress the game. Therefore, even if I could, I would not use my headlights to spot game in the riverbed; rather use a good torch that concentrates the light so that the beam is strong and well-directed. Remember not to blind the game; rather shine at their feet or just in front of them.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Tue May 14, 2013 5:31 am

I tend to agree with Cheetah. The Rabalais route has always served me well.

I also like to pop into the hut to say "hello" and "thank you" to the Orpens.

The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by tent dweller » Thu May 16, 2013 5:48 am

granny wrote:Could anyone give me some advice on a good location number for one of the 4 man tents at Tamboti? I know that 22 had a good view, but did the floods change this ? I would like to be fairly close to the ablution block.
(bang broek me) :redface:

Any help would be appreciated.

granny, I am not sure if this is going to help you much but I think the tents with the higher numbers are close to the abultions, we were in tent number 3 (4 sleeper) and it was a long walk to the bathrooms, I would say numbers 10 - 14 would be a good choice :pray: :pray:
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
PRETORIUSKOP 04 -06 January 2016

Stephens.L
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Stephens.L » Wed May 29, 2013 9:08 am

Wildkyker wrote:Hi Guys.
Can anyone give some indication on how long before I can make a request for a spesefic tent and to whom I can mail the request?
I have tried the tinyiko.mtsetwane@sabparks.org adress but did not get any reply.

Thanx

Dear WildKyker

Please note that the email address for Tinyiko is tinyiko.mtsetwene@sanparks.org or alternatively you can call him on 013 735 6355. The email address that you used was incorrect.
Regards

Stephens Ledwaba
Communications and Marketing Department
Kruger National Park
+27 (0)13 735 4116
stephens.ledwaba@sanparks.org

Gilbertr14

Unread post by Gilbertr14 » Wed May 29, 2013 10:29 pm

Hello Guys

They are all very accommodating, we where allocated no 22 last month already.

Best to speak to Dion Khoza

He is the duty manager for orpen / tamboti

threedogs
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by threedogs » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:42 am

Hi!
Well there is most definitely honey badger and large spotted genet which will visit. Then we had a mongoose family around most days which was very entertaining.
NO TO TRADE IN RHINO HORN!

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by tent dweller » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:47 am

Gilbertr14 wrote:Hello Guys

Is anyone aware of any resident owls and other wildlife in the camp?

We had a number of visits from Mr Honey Badger at night and the spotted genet was also a regular visitor, on two occassions we also spotted the "resident" leopard outside the gates when leaving on early morning game drives (between 5 and 5.30 am in July 2012).
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
PRETORIUSKOP 04 -06 January 2016

Scops

Unread post by Scops » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:15 pm

This is a great camp for resident animals and birds. You would have to be pretty "unlucky" not to have the honey badger stomp up the stairs, stomp across the verandah and attemp to shoulder charge the cupboards and bin open....while you lie there telling your self that it's just a hb !

We heard lions constantly and leopard sporadically all 3 nights (July '12). The genets and mongooses were visitors - including a bloodcurdling fight (or make out session) under the tent; and ellies were feeding on the fence line.

When me and SO went for our normal post dinner camp stroll, we had to walk right past the fence line that a whole herd of ellies were feeding at and to be honest we chickened out :redface: as the noise of branches breaking and the tummies rumbling as they communicated with each other was a bit much in the pitch black only a few metres from us....

I loved this camp ! 8)

Leaping Lizards
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Leaping Lizards » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:25 pm

Hi Scops

Thanks for the advice. I think we will do just that.

Hi there BB

We looking forward to it. Here is a pick of an AWC sitting down to have dinner with us at Satara last year.

Unfortunately we only catered for 2, so nothing for this little fellow.

During our very civil dinner, a HB raided our neighbour. Took a steak off the table, causing the whole table to fall over with everything on it, then bolted across the circle with a steak in its mouth.

So we have no complaints about our uninvited guest.

Looking forward to the critters of Tamboti :P
September - Sirheni, Letaba, Talamati and Satara :P

Return to “KNP Camps & Roads”