Skip to Content

Your most comical encounter in SANParks

Use this forum for general postings not related to any specific park or special interest, but RELATED to Conservation in South(ern) Africa
JenB
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.

Re: Your most comical encounter in SANParks

Unread post by JenB » Thu May 03, 2012 9:47 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Thu May 03, 2012 1:16 pm

Hooter stories. :redface: :doh:

A year ago I took some wedding guests of a good friend to Kgalagadi.

We came across the same 4 cheetahs we had seen the previous day. There were about 5 cars around - a KTP traffic jam. :roll: 'Yesterday' they were stuffed and fat bellied. Today they were just lounging at Samevloeiing, and I decided to take a pic, but I had positioned the fire engine so that my guests got a good view. As I contorted myself to take the pic, my elbow gave the hooter a good blast.

The cheetah nonchalantly got up and headed off to Botswana, and as we left I got stares that told me I was as popular as pork chops in Beirut!
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

In a world of grey, be RED

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Mon May 21, 2012 10:00 am

On our recent visit to Kruger we entered at Malelane gate and en route to Skukuza we were waved down to stop very dramatically by a guy who enquired very audible and with a very big smile “What did you see on this road so far”. I just knew he meant how many big lions did you see and where. Truthfully I replied a few meters back we saw a chameleon crossing the road and just before that dung beetle at work. The guy looked at me puzzled and in a faint sort of voice (completely not suited to him) he repeated, almost emphasized, our sighting - a chameleon and a dung beetle :doh: . Then he burst out in laughter straight from the belly that even his very powerful vehichle was shaking somewhat. When he calmed down a bit he said in his usual powerful voice – no mate we are looking for the big, SCARY and HAIRY not your creepy crawly’s. But strangely I knew he did not look down on our sighting in any way - the situation was just very amusing. We saw them two or three times on the Kruger roads after that and each time we greeted each other with a big smile and waving of hands and we both knew that although we may look for and see different things we all enjoy being in Kruger in our own sort of way. He did not ask about our sightings again :D . Although I do not know his name I know he is a good guy, that LION man that we briefly encountered in Kruger :lol: :thumbs_up: .
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Lilacroller

Unread post by Lilacroller » Mon May 21, 2012 2:25 pm

:lol: :funny:
This thread is just so funny, im still wiping the tears from my eyes and trying to explain to everyone in the office why im laughing so hystercially.
KRUGER
Crocodile Bridge 9 August 2012
Skukuza 10/11 August 2012
Berg n Dal 12 August 2012
Cant Wait !!!!
MARAKELE
Tlopi Tented Camp 27/28 September 2012

onewithnature

Re: Funny Experiences

Unread post by onewithnature » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:29 am

I remember a story from several years back, when I was still at varsity. There was this girl in our class that approximated behaviour of a spoilt diva: always, and continuously, fastidious over every bit of make-up, every strand of hair, and the lie of her garments; mostly self-absorbed and boasting about everything she felt was her special achievement in life (like how much she paid for the latest fashion pieces or the latest trip overseas, and which famous stars she met there); and so on and so on. As it turned out, she got engaged to a similar type of man, and, for the first time that we could recall, they decided on a local summer holiday - to a very upmarket lodge in the Eastern Transvaal (now Mpumalanga).

When she got back, she was in her usual mood, boasting wildly about this and that; however, she was quite a good storyteller, and so she had a fair audience absorbing all the skinder and juicy tales. It turned out that they had spent a good few days enjoying every amenity available at the lodge; whereupon they decided to visit the world-famous Kruger Park, where no doubt they felt they would see every single important sighting in one day. They could see no reason to go longer than a day, so they had entered at gate open at Crocodile Bridge, and made their way right through the Park, exiting at gate close at Punda Maria! :shock: :shock: :shock: That is a distance of about 400km. :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

As it turned out - and why was I not surprised! - she was disappointed about that drive. Yes, the luxury car drove like a dream; and the air conditioning was perfect, so that they didn't feel the 40+ heat outside, and her make-up didn't melt. But Kruger, she felt, had to stop making exorbitant promises and misleading the public. Where were the famous lions, the huge herds of buffalo, and the mighty elephants and rhinos? After all, they had driven more than 400 km, and all they had seen the entire day was a few lousy SPRINGBOK!!!
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

nighthawk2

Unread post by nighthawk2 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:49 pm

A couple of years ago we were on the Mahonie Loop, shortly after a burn.
Driving very slowly looking out the side window and occaisionally looking forward to make sure we were still on the road. Just as I turned my head to look forward there was an elephant not 10 metres from the car happily munching on a shrub. You would think that shortly after a burn there wouldn't be many obstacles to seeing anything on the side of the road....especially an elephant.
Well.... as I shouted oh S#%@T an elephant, the elephant finally saw us & starts trumpetin & coming after us. I floored the accelerator& left in a cloud of dust, but still the bugger gave chase. Trouble is, he can go where he wants, we have to stick to the road. Thankfully he was satisfied that he had seen the last of us.

Other incident was in the Okavango, we got to camp & the manager warned us there was an elephant just behind the loo & to be careful. Now what self respecting individual would let that go without going to have a look? My brother & I slowly walked to the loo & could here the elephant but couldn't really see him. He was shaking a large tree to knock the nuts from it. We could see them bouncing off his head & we just started laughing. All of a sudden this elephant comes charging out> Both of us went OH (edit) turned tail & ran like Usain Bolt, leaping over fallen trees & jumping over depressions until we just couldn't go any further. We stopped & turned around to see where the elephant was. He too had stopped & could swear he had great big grin on his face. Make fun of me will you...we'll see!
the nighthawk

Carol g

Unread post by Carol g » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:42 pm

While staying at Satara, we came back from a drive and my SO put his car keys down on the table on the veranda of our chalet, this was a long time ago before the monkeys were so plentiful in the camps, anyway when we wanted to go out again the keys were gone,

A little boy from the chalet next door was watching us with a very guilty look on his face, I took a chance and asked him where our keys were, he started laughing and said he did not know but kept on giggling, I then knew that the little guy knew all about the keys.

Well I promised him sweets and ice cream if he showed me where the keys were.eventually he tok me to a spot next to there chalet where he dug them up, he had buried them :D

I wonder what we would have done if he wasn't there anymore, or had forgotten what he did with them.

After that SO never left his keys outside again :D :D
Those who have no love in there hearts for animals, have no love in there hearts at all

Jock
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Jock » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:31 am

I might get a kick in the rear for this but Elsa does have a dodgy knee, so I will take my chances. This is not so much a story but a funny comment.

So we were heading to Timbovati picnic spot for lunch on our recent trip, when I saw the baobab tree on the side of the road. I pointed it out and Elsa in her "I'm teaching the kids" tone says

"Yes, it is often there."

Well, Klystron and I asked the obvious question.

"Where does it go on the occasions it is not there?"

Had me giggling for several days.
Cheers
Her Highness Jockelina

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:27 pm

Mine is a simple tale, but true. :dance:

We were staying in Skukuza, many years ago, in a riverside unit, and distinctly heard hippos grunting.

We had only arrived that day, and had seen very little on our journey from Kruger Gate to camp, so we were very keen to spot these hippo.

Try as we may we could not see them, and eventually we noticed an embarrassed look on my hubby's face!!!

He eventually admitted that he had been burping for Africa!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:52 pm

Only burping.....
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

In a world of grey, be RED

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:58 pm

Bush Baptist wrote:Only burping.....

Well that's all he admitted to BB. :thumbs_up:

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:36 pm

I have had many while out on game drives as you can imagine.

One evening driving from Malelane gate a guest coming towards us flagged us down, and very excitedly told us that there was 'a lion and a male lioness' ahead of us about 2km on. General collapse of my guests!!!!! We had already had 4 cars stop to tell us about the sighting at that stage anyway - we found the mating pair.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 8 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:38 pm

EJ you could make a lot of money if you can track down that "Male Lioness"!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stampajane
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stampajane » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:13 pm

In 2004 my parents were holidaying in Kruger. They stopped at a place where you could get out your car and go to a look out place. My mom was bursting for the loo and as no one else was around, she ducked down in front of the car. When they returned to their car after looking at the view, their car wouldn't start as the battery had died. They had to wait until another visitor came along to get some assistance. My mother was acutely embarrassed by the puddle she had made and which was still sitting there on the hardened surface of the parking area.

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:01 am

Oh dear Stampie, that would be very embarrassing!!! :whistle: :whistle:

Return to “Chit-Chat”