Skip to Content

Kgalagadi roads

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
Lonehill_Birders

Re: SHORTCUT FROM NOSSOB TO MATA MATA

Unread post by Lonehill_Birders » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:24 pm

The upper dune road is not a bad road, if you drive slowly you can actually pick up quite a lot of game hiding in the dunes. We have seen leopard, jackal, badger, cheetah, lion, lots of antelope, and also a good number of birds along this road. People tend to drive quite fast along this route in order to get to the main roads along the river beds, and they miss the beauty of the surrounding dunes and landscape. There are picnic places at both junctions, so you can break up your journey.
I don't know whether you'll be camping, just keep in mind that the track to Bitterpan is for 4x4 vehicles only, and no trailers are allowed. It's a one way track, quite deep sand in places, however if you know how to drive in sand you won't have a problem, even with a "soft" SUV. The only possible problem could be grass in the "middelmannetjie" that may start to smoulder when trapped under the exhaust pipe, so it's advisable to stop every few kilometres and check that there's no potential fire hazard :)
Lonehill_Birders

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: SHORTCUT FROM NOSSOB TO MATA MATA

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:53 pm

Relaxevous, there are about 3 waterholes on the upper dune road. You are more likely to see honey badger on the dune roads than the 'river' roads. Look for pale chanting goshawks on trees. They wait for the HB to dig up delicacies for them.

Also you will see oryx, and maybe red hartebeests on the dune roads. I have seen bat eared fox, lion and cheetah on them too. Birds there are fawn coloured lark (lots), kori bustard, and other raptors that feed of the rats & mice that scurry across.
Last edited by Bush Baptist on Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Aristocat

Re: The Road between TR and Nossob

Unread post by Aristocat » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:30 pm

Just got back from 15 nights in KTP - was fantastic!! TR hopefully to follow shortly!! As far as roads go the road between samevloeing and Kij Kij consists of pretty good uncorrugated gravel and then a single track detour on the Botswana side from just before Rooiputs until Kij Kij - this stretch of road is very scenic and we had fantastic sightings of both cheetah and lion. The road works is very much happening around the Rooiputs area which does obstruct your view of the waterhole but Kij Kij was teeming with game!! The road from Mata Mata south to Kamqua is so badly corrugated it is only possible to go 20km/hour which is actually a great game viewing pace. So pack your coffee's/snacks and take it easy!!! Enjoy your trip!!

Vundla1

Re: Road Conditions

Unread post by Vundla1 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:40 pm

If you're driving a rental, then 4x4 etc is not necessary (the rental will, however, never be the same again :twisted: ).

In the Auob riverbed, you don't need vehicle elevation even during the "wetter" months, ie when the vegetation is high. In the Nossob riverbed, however, there are long stretches where you wont see a thing unless you're in an elevated vehicle. 4x4 is certainly not needed (assuming that you didn't use the term loosely), far more important IMO is vehicle elevation (at least along most of the Nossob river, especially further north).

My greater concern would be the toll that the roads take on your chosen vehicle (notwithstanding it being a rental). We've just returned from the park and found the roads in the Auob (esp between Kamqua and Mata Mata) the worst that I've seen in 8 visits. During a few days staying in the area last week there were two Fortuners with UJ failures, 3 (!) broken trailers (springs broken, including a new offroad trailer on its first outing), one cruiser briefly dropped its aftermarket fuel tank (brackets snapped), a Lada had some or other propshaft issue, a hilux nearly lost its bullbar, another vehicle's fuel pump packed up (could be co-incidental)... the roads take no prisioners and don't discriminate by brand - so whatever vehicle you chose, take it easy (we find 20km/h to make the bad sections bearable - plus you see so much more that way).

A big advantage of the 4x4-type vehicle (fourwheel drive or "pickup" with canopy) would be that you have far more space to store your goods...assuming you're camping etc.

edit-typo

Some of the milder corrugations in the Mata Mata area last week:

Last edited by Vundla1 on Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tony T

Re: Road Conditions

Unread post by Tony T » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:24 am

lornhend, there is good news. The roads are regularly maintained, and you may be lucky. The roads stay good for about 5 days after a grading, in our experience. Its all to do with the heavy volume of traffic.
The other good news is that it is the place to be, no question :dance:
KTP- 23/4/15 to 26/4/15 - Mata Mata
27/4/14 to 30/4/15 - Nossob
1/5/15 to 4/5/15 - Gharagab
[color=#008000]

Birthdays are good for you - the more you have, the longer you live!

Mr.T

Re: The Road between TR and Nossob

Unread post by Mr.T » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:58 pm

p@m wrote:The roadworks started again on the last 16 km from Rooiputs to Kij-Kij,

Hi Lonehill_Birders

We were detoured over the dunes on our trip from Nossob to TW due to the above roadworks in mid March this year.

The TW to Nossob road is badly corrugated from Dikbaardskolk picnic spot to Nossob especially in the canals where the grading has built of banks on either side of the road. What with the grass and bank their is no chance of viewing and as a result everyone is in a hurry to get to a point where you can view the country side instead of the sandy banks.

Take head of the warnings about the inconsiderate, selfish long lens brigade as there interpretation of 50km / hr is very different to most others.

:sniper: make me :redface: and :x
Make a difference, Plant a tree.

TOTALY OPPOSED TO HOTELS IN THE PARK

Letaba 16 July, Shingwedzi 17 - 19 July, Letaba 20 July
KTP March 2012 - Mata Mata 9,10, Nossob 11,12,13, Twee Rivieren 14,15, Augrabies 16,17

p@m
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Kgalagadi roads

Unread post by p@m » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:40 pm

I've read a couple of times that the wilderness camps and their access roads are only for those with accommodation booked there. How about roads like the loop across the Auob on the way to Urikaruus. Can I drive this? Can I drive up to the camp for a look at the waterhole?

Absolutely NOT :rtm: Unless you want a hefty fine. The wilderness camps are posted "residents only", so if you're not staying there, you are trespassing ...
Sorry to jump on you :redface: but this is one of my bugbears -- there is nothing worse than paying a premium to stay in a wilderness camp only to find you are actually at Picadilly Circus with all the traffic :evil:

There are lookout points along the Auob -- one in fact is just north of Urikaruus.

Also there is another trail I can see starting at 26 22 06 S, 20 41 50 E. It ends at Auchterlony. Can I drive this or is this the trail that was mentioned in other older threads where you register first at TR if you want to do it.

This sounds like the Leeudril 4X4 trail -- which you book first at twee Rivieren.

Can anyone suggest any loops to do from Nossob and Mata mata or do people normally just follow the two river beds. Sometimes it's nice just to get away from traffic. Also we are spending 3 days in Nossob and 3 or 4 in Mata mata so we don't want to drive the same circuit every day.

From Nossob you have 2 choices -- north or south :lol: If you choose south, you can then choose whether or not to do Marie's Loop :lol: Folk usually just drive off to a water-hole like Marie's or Kwang or, or and park off to see what appears.

From MataMata you only have one choice -- south :lol: You do then have a choice at each waterhole as to whether you want to do the loop past the waterhole or not.

Otherwise that's pretty much it. But don't think you'll see the same things on the way back as you saw on the way there -- animals move around :lol:

Enjoy !

Lonehill_Birders

Re: Road from Twee rivieren to Nossob.

Unread post by Lonehill_Birders » Sun May 27, 2012 5:26 pm

The deviation is still in place, the road is not in a good condition. You could probably make it with your 2x4, but the road works are on-going, lots of corrugations, and there seems to be less game along this route. I would suggest that you go up via the Auob road (MataMata road) - and then take the top dune road. It is in fact shorter than going up the Nossob river bed. We used that dune road coming back from Nossob, and it was in excellent condition - we saw lion, leopard, lots of game at the 3 water holes along the way, so it is not really a hardship going that way.
Lonehill_Birders

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Leeuwdrill to Kij Kij road - OPEN

Unread post by DuQues » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:03 am

For the people who are not too well versed in the geography of KTP, a map!
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Kgalagadi Guru
Guru
Guru

Re: Leeuwdrill to Kij Kij road - OPEN

Unread post by Kgalagadi Guru » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:42 am

Hi there BB,

Due to the heavy traffic the road was carrying it surely did deteriorate, the new road is an absolute pleasure to drive. Unfortunately skiddy corner just had to go :P
Head: Field Guiding
Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
jan.kriel@sanparks.org

doedsie

Re: Kalagadi Road maintenance and improvement policy?

Unread post by doedsie » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:13 pm

SHAKYJAKES wrote:To me, the dirt roads are part of the experience! Was in the park 2 weeks ago, roads was fine. KTP is doing a great job in maintenance of the roads. Deflate your tyres to 1.4 and it will be fine.

SJ

Agreed! If the roads in Kgalagadi are tarred, it will spoil the experience totally. The corrugations are caused by lazy people who do not deflate their tyres. A lot of work is put into maintaining the roads in Kgalagadi. Be considerate by deflating tyres as soon as you enter the park.

Kgalagadi Guru
Guru
Guru

Re: Kalagadi Road maintenance and improvement policy?

Unread post by Kgalagadi Guru » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:54 am

Morning all,

The roads in the KTP might not be as smooth as the tar roads on the outside. We can assure you that KTP management is doing everything possible to keep the roads within the park as smooth as possible.

There are long term plans to resurface all the roads in the park, about 560Km of it. The financial implications for the whole park to re-surface the roads would be around R 65 million.

Currently the short term solution is that the roads (560Km) is graded once a month and the roads dragged every two weeks, depending on the state of the roads otherwise it will be once a week.

Once again we encourage the visitors to the park to please deflate their tyres and not to speed as these are all causes of the corrugation on the roads

Thanks

KG
jan.kriel@sanparks.org

Duke Ellieton

Re: Gharagab to Mata Mata

Unread post by Duke Ellieton » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:18 pm

Hi gb225450,

I have done Grootkolk to Mata Mata in a day and the distance is about the same as Gharagab to Mata Mata so it will be doable.

Remember that getting from Gharagab to Lijersdraai is 4x4.

Be prepared for a long drive. You could have many nice sightings along the way so factor this in.

Also, when are you in KTP - The days are much longer in Summer than in Winter. In Summer (Nov-Dec) gates are open 5.30 am to 7.30 pm wheras in Winter the times are 7.30 am to 6.00 pm, so factor this in too.

Kgalagadi Guru
Guru
Guru

Re: advice on road fromNossob to Bitterpan

Unread post by Kgalagadi Guru » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:28 am

Hi there Debbyhug,

Having all the rescue equipment is always good, but for the Bitterpan road it would be just too much equipment. For the month that you will be visiting the sand will not be that loose so all you would need is enough momentum to get you over the dune, there is one spot where the sand can be tricky but again if you have the momentum it shouldn’t be a problem. Once you tackle a dune just go low range 3rd gear.

Enjoy

KG
jan.kriel@sanparks.org

Fanatic RSA

Re: advice on road fromNossob to Bitterpan

Unread post by Fanatic RSA » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:39 pm

Well seeing as offroading is something I do a lot I may offer some advice here.

I was at Bitterpan recently and I must admit that I was a bit upset to find the slopes of the dunes in the condition they are in.

Most of the dunes have deep(ish) ruts caused by overinflated tyres and wheel-spin. These ruts have now become cross axles which causes your vehicle to sway from side to side.

It's not too bad at the moment but it will get worse if visitors aren't encouraged to adhere to the following:

1. Purchase a tyre pressure meter and deflate your tyres to 1 bar in front and, depending on your load, 1 - 1.2 at the back. Tyre pressure is the key to sand driving;
2. Engage 4L (Low Range) and drive in either 1st or 2nd gear up the dunes;
3. Should you get stuck, which I doubt will happen, reverse and attempt the dune again with a LITTLE more speed. Do not spin your wheels thinking you will get out as you will only dig yourself in deeper;
4. Engage 4H (High Range) once your reach the plato but keep the vehicle in 4 wheel-drive to limit damage to the road.

I don't think sand ladders or shovels are necessary at all but at if you have the gear take it with.

Driving that road in 2 wheel drive with tyre pressure at 1.5 is what's causing the cross-axles and the deteriaration of the road.

I was a bit surprized by the Sanparks staff member who advised me to deflate my tyres to 1.5 bar. This is way too stiff.

My 2.28 cents worth. 8)
Spring is nature's way of saying, "Let's party!" - Robin Williams

Return to “Arid Parks”