Skip to Content

Brown Hyena in Kruger?

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks
Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Brown Hyena in Kruger?

Unread post by Imberbe » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:40 am

Nomadic adult males and females play an important role in the Brown Hyena social system and is a natural part of the system. These are not merely young animals dispersing, but adults. This occurs in natural areas, but even today where they travel through areas of human habitation. Brown Hyenas are well know for being long distance travelers.

Obviously young animals may also migrate, and yes human influence will have an effect. Though Brown Hyena are know to occur in large cities such as Pretoria and Johannesburg.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

PetraJ
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by PetraJ » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:00 pm

onewithnature wrote:
Scipio wrote:We were lucky enough to have BH in our camping site just outside of Orpen gate this weekend, so I am sure they are in Kruger.

:clap: :clap: :clap: Excellent info, Scipio.

However, I didn't know there was a camping site close to the gate. How far?

If you are interested in this camping site, pm me and I will give you the details. As it is not a SANParks area, we are not allowed to name it on the Forum :wink:

bushbuck87

Unread post by bushbuck87 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:32 am

Hi all. If you read the history of the BH they all say it has a clan like system of 4-8 individuals [??????] but you never see them together but roam alone and i presume rely on scent marking their territories. This is also to identify who they are and is a corner beacon of the individuals boundry. So say if one individual dies the next BH needs to search a biger area to find another beacon to interact with the next BH. WE know from history a small population of BH existed in Kruger years ago but seems to have vanished maybe because they could not find the next beacon and just kept on going and killed off by the other preditors.

My reasons for having this theory i was watching a tv show of reintroducing White Rhino back to the Okavango on release from the bomas the Rhinos kept on moving south all the way to the Central Kalahari Game Reserve. On subsequent releases unbeknowing to the staff they had created an artificial midden when cleaning the bomas out from the previous Rhinos and on release they all stopped and smelt the midden to get a beacon to the new territory and then stayed in the Okavango area.

If i may say with such a big Spotted Hyena population in Kruger today the chancers of their survival is bleak.

RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by RosemaryH » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:41 pm

RosemaryH wrote::big_eyes: With all this spinning going on I am afraid you will all miss the BH sightings :lol: :lol:

Heksie wrote:Noooooo Rosemary don't jinx us now :naughty:

No jinxing at all Heksie & Co it all here :wink:
Rose

Let's get voting - it's that time of the year!!! Website Community Choice Award - Kudu Awards 2016 - Voting Opens

Scipio

Unread post by Scipio » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:44 pm

It seems that there was some interesting posts here lately. :hmz: And yes. I saw the Brownie just outside Orpen Gate. But I suppose reading and understanding is a problem for most "uneddicated poeple".

But I do firmly believe there are Brownies in Kruger but are not seen due to their behavioural patterns. But I will be spending time in Kruger again in 2 weeks, maybe then. :thumbs_up:

onewithnature

Unread post by onewithnature » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:15 pm

I think it's a matter of time before the sleuths unearth the mystical creature. :dance:
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

onewithnature

Unread post by onewithnature » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:35 pm

Perhaps SANParks should offer a prize for the first genuine proof of a BH in Kruger? Bet that would help the cause! :hmz: Or maybe BB could sponsor a holiday for the winner? :twisted:
EVERYBODY'S TR!

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:37 pm

Have you guys just seen Lesego's post that BHs have been seen in Addo.............caught on camera. :hmz:

Heksie
Award: Sighting of the Year - Small creatures/insects (2014)

Unread post by Heksie » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:25 am

Bush you are a cynical old fart :tongue:
18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

30 Sept-4 Oct Lower Sabie

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara

Zapman

Unread post by Zapman » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:11 am

Elsa wrote:It was in the private reserve Thornybush, adjacent to Kruger and an awesome sighting. :D

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well then it's possible to see one in the Kruger, though improbable...
Zapman

#StopRhinoPoachingSA

Visiting Kruger:
21 December 2013: Crocodile Bridge
22-24 December 2013: Tamboti
25-27 December 2013: Bateleur

VISIT RARE ANTELOPE SIGHTINGS

Digby

Unread post by Digby » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:44 pm

I have just finished re-reading Mark & Delia Owens' book "Cry of the Kalahari" after quite a few years. I'd forgotten most of it.

They discovered so much new information about the brown hyena during their years in the Kalahari. Too much to get into here, but well worth the read.

Someone with their knowledge should be able to establish if these fascinating animals still survive in Kruger or Greater Kruger.

If they are still around, sooner or later further pics of Kruger brownies will be posted. I hope so, anyway.

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:59 am

Digby wrote:If they are still around, sooner or later further pics of Kruger brownies will be posted. I hope so, anyway.

Sooner has come and gone. We get tourists taking pics (on the road nogal) of the occasional serval, caracal, roan and even pangolin, but all we have is a distant sighting by a non-tourist.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

onewithnature

Unread post by onewithnature » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:31 am

Reading most of the posts on this thread has convinced me that BHs in Kruger are like UFOs: there are the believers and the sceptics, and neither group can persuade the other to switch sides. Unless, of course, definitive proof is supplied once and for all - like a BH prancing through an area that is undeniably in Kruger - a camp, a picnic spot, a watering hole, and so on. And the chances of that are mighty slim. Which means that I will be remaining on the side of the believers, irrespective. 8)
EVERYBODY'S TR!

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:19 am

It would give me great pleasure to be the one who posts the pic, but until we get one??????
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by okie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:19 pm

gmlsmit wrote:Brown Hyaenas, Aardwolf and Bat Ear foxes have always been a rarity in the KNP however Dr. Tol Pienaar makes special mention of them in his book 'Neem uit die Verlede'.

The species mentioned were often sighted by Game Rangers while doing their daily tasks.

Col Stevenson Hamilton reported te following in his 1913 Warden's Report:

HYENAS
At one time nearly reduces to extinction by trapping have again slightly increased. They are useful scavengers, and are not inimical to the status of the game. A specimen of the Strand Wolf (H. Brunnea) was killed in No. 5 section near the Lebombo; this being the first time a member of the species has been found in the eastern portion of the Reserve, and only the second time it has been reported from any part of the latter, the previous occasion being near Kaapmuiden in 1906.

Well , I suppose a couple of sightings every hundred years or so , should convince us unbelievers :hmz: :doh:
On the other hand , for me to wait another century will really be stretching it somewhat :doh:
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Return to “Mammals”