Skip to Content

Upgraded your camera firmware

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Upgraded your camera firmware

Unread post by DuQues » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:33 pm

All the digital cameras have firmware, call it the software that runs the camera.
Now have you ever updated that firmware? It can save you a lot of hassle by removing that error that plagues you, or even make your camera better!

Some highlights from the new version for the Nikon D300 so you know what I talk about:

- The range of settings available for ISO sensitivity settings > ISO sensitivity auto control > Minimum shutter speed in the shooting menu has been increased from 1/250 – 1 s to 1/4000 – 1 s.
- Focus acquisition performance in dynamic-area AF mode has been improved.
- Focus acquisition performance with contrast-detect AF has been improved.
- Auto white balance performance has been improved.
- An issue that prevented shutter release at the specified shutter speed when no operations were performed for 30 seconds in mirror up mode has been resolved.
- An issue that caused abnormal image display when Image review was set to On and the playback zoom in button was pressed immediately after shooting at the following settings has been resolved.

(Owners of a D300, get the update here)

So as you can see, there are improvements, free of charge, making your life easier. And it takes but a few minutes.....
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

onewithnature
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Have you ever upgraded your firmware?

Unread post by onewithnature » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:22 am

So, how DO you upgrade your firmware for free - do you go to the manufacturers homepage, or are there other ways?
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:49 am

Yep!
Like the link for the D300, just go to their site, look up the page for your camera, and click on the software / firmware link.
Instructions on what to do are there too.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

oddesy
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by oddesy » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:17 am

I tried it and looks like i already have the latest firmware , and all this time i thought that i could not use SDHC cards :roll:
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

wmahon465

Unread post by wmahon465 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:00 pm

Just another observation, I just got a Nikon D90, bought an 8GB SDHC card and found that I had to use he camera to download as both my laptops' internal card reader and my external card reader would not support SDHC. I have now bought a multi purpose card reader which is SDHC compliant and everythings OK.

It seems that if you gerar is over 2 yrs old, it may not work directly with SDHC.

Good luck, just 32 days til I'm back
----------------------------------------------------
Confirmed Kruger junkie
-----------------------------------------------------
Next visit Jan 12th 2016 13 Days

onewithnature

Unread post by onewithnature » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:12 am

Thanks all, will try it soon.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:47 pm

Okay, for those with a Canon 40D, Nikon D3 or Nikon D700:

Canon 40D

Firmware update Version 1.1.1 incorporates the following fixes and improvements.

1. Fixes a malfunction that in rare occurrence causes a low battery indication to be displayed when using the EF 85mm F1.2L II USM lens. Depending on the battery check timing of the camera, the battery level displayed on the camera's LCD data panel may shows Battery will be exhausted soon or Battery must be recharged, even though the battery capacity is sufficient.
2. Fixes a malfunction that in rare occurrence causes an Err 06 Self Cleaning Sensor malfunction to appear on the camera's LCD monitor and LCD data panel, even when the Self Cleaning Sensor Unit is operating normally. This message may appear depending on the timing of when the camera is switch to the ON position.
3. Fixes a malfunction that prevents correct colors from being printed when direct printing. RAW images captured using the camera's custom Picture Styles (Emerald, etc.), which have been downloaded from Canon's Web site and registered under User Def. 2 or User Def. 3.
4. Modifies the level of subject brightness that causes the AF-assist beam to fire when using an external Speedlite.
5. Enables an external flash connected to the camera's synchro terminal to fire even when the camera's built-in flash is popped up.

Nikon D3
The following improvements have been made in version 2.01

* Geodetic information is now displayed in ViewNX Ver. 1.2.0 or later and Capture NX 2 Ver. 2.1.0 or later for images captured with the GPS Unit GP-1 mounted on the camera.
* Autofocus-response performance in focus mode C (Continuous-servo AF mode) with relatively dark subjects has been increased.
* When the AF-ON button is pressed, the monitor turns off and a focus point can now be selected using the multi selector.
* Photo information displayed in full-frame playback has been modified as follows:
o HI-, LO- has been changed to Hi, Lo
o WARM TONE has been changed to WARM FILTER
o COLOR CUSTOM has been changed to COLOR BALANCE
* Manamah, displayed in the Time zone options for the World time item in the setup menu, has been changed to Manama.
* An issue that, in extremely rare cases, resulted in noticeable black dots in images captured with Long exp. NR in the shooting menu set to On has been resolved.
* When the Speedlight SB-800 was mounted on the camera with flash mode set to Distance-priority manual (GN) mode, and then the exposure meters were reactivated or the camera was turned on, the distance information displayed on the SB-800 changed. This issue has been resolved.
* An issue that, in some rare cases, caused images captured with the following lenses to be under-exposed, has been resolved.
o AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
o AF VR Zoom-Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED (5.0x)

Nikon D700
The following improvements have been made in version 1.01
# When Custom Setting a4 Focus tracking with lock-on was set to Off in Continuous-servo AF, the lens drive moved gradually without achieving focus. This issue has been resolved.
# When the Speedlight SB-800 was mounted on the camera with flash mode set to Distance-priority manual (GN) mode, and then the exposure meters were reactivated or the camera was turned on, the distance information displayed on the SB-800 changed. This issue has been resolved.
# When the Multi-Power Battery Pack MB-D10 was mounted on the camera and an EN-EL3e battery inserted in the camera but no batteries inserted in the MB-D10, and SB-900 flash mode set to TTL auto flash mode, the flash mode changed to A mode when the exposure meters turned off or were reactivated, or the camera was turned off or on. This issue has been resolved. (This issue has also been resolved with SB-900 firmware Ver. 5.02.)
# An issue that, in extremely rare cases, resulted in noticeable black dots in images captured with Long exp. NR in the shooting menu set to On has been resolved.
# Manamah, displayed in the Time zone options for the World time item in the setup menu, has been changed to Manama.

Kalaharikind

Unread post by Kalaharikind » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:14 pm

The canon 50D firmware upgrade from 1.2 to 1.3 is now available from the official canon website . :dance:
Live on the WILD side of life

Canon 7D Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM-Canon 100-400 IS USM F4.5-Canon 28 - 135 is -Sigma 24mm f1.8 MACRO-Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM-Canon EFS 17-85mm f/4-5.6 Image Stabilized USM-Canon EF 2X II Extender-Canon EF 1.4 Extender

Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stark » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:12 pm

To answer the original question, nope! (And with 10 days to go before being in greater KNP, I have no intention of mucking with my camera!!) :)
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:50 am

Just to bump your memory about checking to see if your camera is up to date, a little news:

Lumix DMC-FS15 owners: (and I know there are many here)
Version 1.2:

* Improved image quality

Version 1.1:

* Performance improvement at the time of the slide show enforcement

Get it here...

mikef

Re: Upgrading EOS software on my computer

Unread post by mikef » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:01 pm

Fransmargate wrote:Hi I need some advice please :rtm:

On my computer with Windows XP I have Digital Photo Professional ver 3.4 and EOS Utility ver 2.0.
Now my question - can I download later versions of these programs and do I have to pay for that or is it free ?
I own a Canon 400D and a 40D.
Many thanks Frans

You can download the latest versions of both above utilities to the latest version from Canon's website and there is no cost. When installing the downloaded files will check if you have a previous version installed. Current versions afaik are EOS Utility v2.10.2.0 and DPP v3.11.1.0.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

ATTN Canon 7D owners!

Unread post by DuQues » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:35 pm

A major firmware update is going to hit us around August!

Canon EOS 7D firmware v2 – new features:
• Improved maximum burst for RAW images (up to 25)
• In-camera RAW image editing
• In-camera Image Rating
• In-camera JPEG resizing
• Maximum Auto ISO setting (ISO 400-6400)
• Manual audio level adjustment in movie recording
• GPS compatibility
• File name customisation
• Time zone settings
• Faster scrolling of magnified images
• Quick control screen during playback

Read more here: Link

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: ATTN Canon 7D owners!

Unread post by DuQues » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:20 pm

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:54 pm

DQ would I be able to do all this myself???

I'm so afraid I might make a big mess of all and then I and my broken camera are stuck here in Upington!!!
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

EOS_User

Unread post by EOS_User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:13 pm

lion queen wrote:DQ would I be able to do all this myself???

Yes; full step-by-step instructions are given on the Canon website. Just take your time and make sure you read the instructions...

There's also a YouTube video here you might find helpful; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNbOINYZx5M

Cheers...
Last edited by EOS_User on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”