Skip to Content

Eagle, African Fish

Identify and index birds in Southern Africa
Nannie
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:03 am
Location: Marloth,is where i want to be.

Re: Eagle, African Fish

Unread post by Nannie » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:42 pm

Saw this on Sunday the 5th. Can someone ID what is in it's claw. Looks like a snail,a real big one.

Image

Nannie
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:03 am
Location: Marloth,is where i want to be.

Re: Eagle, African Fish

Unread post by Nannie » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:49 pm

Another look a this catch,which was taken from the Lower Sabie river. The photos are from the LS bridge.It must be some sort of molluse soft bodied hard-shelled animal.Fresh water snail is my guess. but did not think they got to this size.
Image
Image

User avatar
DinkyBird
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 42935
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:54 pm
Location: The Beautiful Cape

Re: Eagle, African Fish

Unread post by DinkyBird » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:19 am

Sunset Dam, Nov 2011:

Image
African Fish Eagle by dinkybird, on Flickr
Sawubona
Dalene

Jan van Wyk
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2015)
Posts: 6028
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:37 pm

Re: Eagle, African Fish

Unread post by Jan van Wyk » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:36 pm

Stunning action images

Taken on the S33

Image

Taken at Lake Panic.

Image

User avatar
granjan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 466
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:20 am
Location: cornwall uk

Re: Eagle, African Fish

Unread post by granjan » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:13 am

Another fish eagle at Lake Panic.
Image
1012911 498 by jansp, on Flickr

Jan van Wyk
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2015)
Posts: 6028
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:37 pm

Re: Eagle, African Fish

Unread post by Jan van Wyk » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:33 pm

Sunning image gran can :clap: :clap:

Can you may be please also upload the image in the Lake panic gallery...:wink:

User avatar
granjan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 466
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:20 am
Location: cornwall uk

Re: Eagle, African Fish

Unread post by granjan » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:11 am

Happy to transfer it [tho' don't know how] but I don't think we're supposed to post the same pic on different threads.
[I'm very law abiding :whistle: :whistle: ]

User avatar
saraf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Posts: 7501
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:19 pm
Location: Portsmouth, England

Re: Eagle, African Fish

Unread post by saraf » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:18 am

Granjan, as long as the photo is not in the same topic twice then you can post as many times as you like :lol:

Your photo would make a lovely addition to the Lake Panic topic.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

User avatar
arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 3606
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:53 pm
Location: Cambridge, MA (and home from home in Darling, WC)

Re: Identification Help - Raptors

Unread post by arks » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:37 pm

This was taken from very far away in poor light, so may be impossible to ID and I really don't have any idea what it might be. Seen late afternoon along Darling Hills Road on 17 May 2012.

Image
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town

User avatar
Johan van Rensburg
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2015)
Award: Birder of the Year (2014)
Posts: 2323
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:33 pm
Location: Jam Street

Re: Identification Help - Raptors

Unread post by Johan van Rensburg » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:59 pm

...and judging from the wing shape I'd say it was going like a Boeing!

Best guess osprey?
685 2016 lifers: Spotted crake, Lesser jacana, Burchell's courser, Double-banded courser, Rufous-tailed scrub robin, House crow, Manx shearwater, Antarctic prion, Northern giant petrel, Northern royal albatross

User avatar
Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Posts: 6748
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:38 pm
Location: In the shadow of Table Mountain

Re: Identification Help - Raptors

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:40 pm

:hmz: looks a lot like the osprey I saw in WCNP in Feb arks.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

User avatar
deefstes
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 667
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Jo'burg

Re: Identification Help - Raptors

Unread post by deefstes » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:31 pm

arks wrote:This was taken from very far away in poor light, so may be impossible to ID and I really don't have any idea what it might be. Seen late afternoon along Darling Hills Road on 17 May 2012.

Image


Sorry to chime in quickly but it seems as if this one might have slipped by. Osprey has much narrower and longer looking wings. This is an immature African Fish-Eagle. They're notorious for pretending to be Ospreys :wink:
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel." -Homer Simpson

User avatar
wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Posts: 4698
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:27 am
Location: Chasing down the rarities

Re: Identification Help - Raptors

Unread post by wildtuinman » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:43 am

Agree fully with Deefstes. The head as well, points to African Fish-Eagle.

Here is a photo of mine to show what Deefstes meant with the longer and narrower wings.

Image
675
Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

User avatar
arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 3606
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:53 pm
Location: Cambridge, MA (and home from home in Darling, WC)

Re: Identification Help - Raptors

Unread post by arks » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:35 pm

deefstes wrote:
arks wrote:This was taken from very far away in poor light, so may be impossible to ID and I really don't have any idea what it might be. Seen late afternoon along Darling Hills Road on 17 May 2012.

Image

Sorry to chime in quickly but it seems as if this one might have slipped by. Osprey has much narrower and longer looking wings. This is an immature African Fish-Eagle. They're notorious for pretending to be Ospreys :wink:

wildtuinman wrote:Agree fully with Deefstes. The head as well, points to African Fish-Eagle.

Thanks deefstes and WTM. It actually makes much more sense for it to be an immature juvenile fish eagle :thumbs_up:
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town

User avatar
deefstes
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Posts: 667
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:43 pm
Location: Jo'burg

Re: Identification Help - Raptors

Unread post by deefstes » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:53 pm

arks wrote:
deefstes wrote:
arks wrote:This was taken from very far away in poor light, so may be impossible to ID and I really don't have any idea what it might be. Seen late afternoon along Darling Hills Road on 17 May 2012.

Image

Sorry to chime in quickly but it seems as if this one might have slipped by. Osprey has much narrower and longer looking wings. This is an immature African Fish-Eagle. They're notorious for pretending to be Ospreys :wink:

wildtuinman wrote:Agree fully with Deefstes. The head as well, points to African Fish-Eagle.

Thanks deefstes and WTM. It actually makes much more sense for it to be an immature juvenile fish eagle :thumbs_up:

Yeah I don't think it's an immature juvenile Fish-Eagle. It's either an immature Fish-Eagle or a juvenile Fish-Eagle :P My money is on immature.
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel." -Homer Simpson


Return to “Birding in Southern Africa”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


Webcam Highlights

Addo
Submitted by Anonymous at 15:16:43
orpen
Submitted by Mischief at 01:16:39
satara
Submitted by vacation at 11:14:00
nossob
Submitted by Sabina01 at 21:41:48