Skip to Content

Phabeni Gate Game Drive.

Discuss activities available in the Kruger National Park, and follow all the sighting reports.
bridgeman
Guru
Guru

Phabeni Gate Game Drive.

Unread post by bridgeman » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:59 pm

Follow this topic to get recent sightings from the Phabeni game drives. you don't have to stay in the park to enjoy the nocturnal activities' in kruger park' this activities' are exclusively' for the people' staying in hazyview' lodges and surroundings' you can still come in as a day visitor' and later' on extend your stay by booking a game drive' at Phabeni gate'

Many people that are familiar with the S1-S3,S4-S65 route will agree with me that; these are few of the best route in the park to consider if you are a wild dog and leopard fan'

Stay tuned for recent update' from the game drives taking place every night all year round.

be blessed'

bridgeman
Guru
Guru

Re: Phabeni Gate Game Drive.

Unread post by bridgeman » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:37 pm

Sunset Drive 25/06/2012.

This is one of the game drive's that will stay in my memory card lol for a long time' "not" because we saw everything we wanted to see but because of the 9members of Samonson family; very nice people to be around with' 3hours felt like' 2minutes' *smiling*

The highlight of the drive was to see the buffalo herd crossing the road; as we all watching and getting all exited' one of the kids sitting at the back' shouted' "daddy look at that one" as we were all curious to know what she saw' oooop' a female buffalo giving birth' and we were all woooow' something you don't see often' unfortunate' all the buffalo's went through the long grass' and we couldn't see the whole birth process.

2km from the buffalo's just before nyamundwa dam' 2lioness from nowhere walked in to the road' in front of us(right place at a right time). We drove behind them for almost a km and a half' until we had no choice but to disturb them and pass' the rest of the drive was more of the general game' but the white tail mangoos, Civets and Genets were also there to entertain' us'

a Total of 3/5(big 5) was seen the whole drive, Lions, buffalo's and Elephants' not bad at all'

Looking forward to the next one'

cheetah2111
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by cheetah2111 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:33 am

Buffalo birth!
And Lions in the road!
fantastic :D
Kruger 2014!!!

16-23 August - Lower Sabi!!!!

bridgeman
Guru
Guru

Unread post by bridgeman » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:27 pm

Sunset drive' 26/06/2012

The weather was just perfect for the game drive. A great start with three(3) old resident buffalo's at Phabeni bridge; few minutes later a big white rhino bull grazing' on the side of the road.

More rhinos, we tried the S4(river link) but nothing. we went half way on S65(watergard) but disappointing too. We went back' to S1 elephants' and civets and lots of Zebras and impalas all enjoying the heat in the road.

As we all starting to give up; out of the blue' came a big ardvark' but very quick went to the long grass' I guess' that's a sighting and a half. for me that's a sighting of the month' lol'

No big cats for the night but what ever we saw tonight was special' on its on way.

Crossing fingers for the best on the next drive.

bridgeman
Guru
Guru

Unread post by bridgeman » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:27 pm

Meandering Mouse wrote:Aardvark :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Bridgeman, you talked of photos? Do you take photos on your drive?

I don't take much picture's coz I have to pay full attention to the guest and answer question. some of the sightings' are just quick' and the light is not enough for my smaller camera' we start our drives at 17H00 and by 17H35 its all dark. I do ask some of the guest to share some of their best photos took on the drive. it help coz some have this big camera' and they have the best angle on the vehicle.

bridgeman
Guru
Guru

Unread post by bridgeman » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:05 pm

Sunset Drive 29/06/2012.

This was one of those drive's you wouldn't mind doing over and over. At some stage it was a bit quiet' "yes" but the few special sightings made up for the whole three(3) hours.

civet and genets (dominating the drive) ,side strip jackal and porcupine' took off all the pressure' because' most of the guest in the vehicle; it was their first time for such animals(10point for each sighting's lol).

The ice broke 2k's before' the gate. As we approach from a distance; I picked' up a blink of an eye reflection on the road, at first I thought it was a night jar sitting on the road or maybe another spotted genet crossing the road. As we get closer' I see that what ever it is; its something big either lions or hyenas since they love the heat on the road.

Guess what it was?********Lions sleeping in the middle of the road' not 2, not 4 but nine(9) lions' wooow' what more can you ask for' lol' it doesn't get better than this. two adult females and seven(7) fairly young stars(-2years estimation) commonly seen around Nyamundwa dam.

we had to finish the drive at 20H30 coz we couldn't pass' the lions road block lol.

Let's wait and see what's on the Menu tonight. until then' Keep Kruger Park clean. remember 50km/h on tar and 40km/h on gravel'

bridgeman
Guru
Guru

Unread post by bridgeman » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:06 am

Latest on Phabeni Route

The past few days has been very good; not just by the number of people but the sightings has been nothing but productive. Yes some of the nights were quiet but most of it were so worth it.

Some of the nights we go by 3leopard;some nights 1 or 2. Lions were a bit off line but got few outstanding sighting,few kills, lions sleeping on the road, the pride of 4lioness with 6cups(S1) came to our rescue few times were the night goes quiet' and when we about to give up; they remind us that its not over until the finishing line lol.

On the side of the dogs, there's been few reports from normal guest driving around S1 and S3 Numbi gate. We always missed them by few minutes, we had only two sightings of wild dogs the whole week(less than average).

Let's see what this weak bring for us.

Until then' don't drive over the francolins on the road. 50km/h on tar 40km/h on gravel.

Chaaaaaaaw.

bridgeman
Guru
Guru

Unread post by bridgeman » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:24 pm

good day my lovely forums.

I know you have been looking forward for new updates on this page, I apologies for not updating regulary. I have moved to biyamiti bush camp now. that is the reoson I am not updating the phabeni sightings any more.

I will advice the guide at phabeni gate now #City to update you about the wild dogs and the leopards as you know that side of phabeni gate-skukuza road (S1) is the home for the dogs and the spoted cat.

until then, keep well and drive 50km/h on tar 40km/h on gravel, dont drive too close to elephants bulls on musth and females with small babies.

regards, much love.

bridgeman
Guru
Guru

Unread post by bridgeman » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:44 pm

we drove in at Phabeni gate today 25/08/2013 11:45am. the weather was on our side, good for cats to walk around. lions twice S1 S4 Junction and a mating pair just before the water-gaad point(S65). apparently someone saw a leopard crossing the road walking towards the Nyamudwa dam few minutes before us, search but could not find it. but we were kept busy by Elis and the other beest.

not bad at all.

Return to “KNP Activities & Sightings”