Skip to Content

Mapungubwe: GETTING THERE

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele
DinkyBird

Re: Mapungubwe to Pafuri/Punda Maria

Unread postby DinkyBird » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:59 am

Hi

We did that route in Dec last year, but the other way. From Punda we went to Pafuri (good chance to see that part of the park) and then we drove the R525 (which had some potholes and road works for about 10km close to the park, the rest was fine), the R508, N1 to Musina, and then took the R572 to Map. Roads all fine.

w1tw0lf

Mapungubwe to Pafuri/Punda Maria

Unread postby w1tw0lf » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:20 am

DinkyBird wrote:From the Map main gate, it is about 300km. It does depend which section of Map you will be staying in. If you are in the west, add on about 45mins. And allow for slower driving closer to Pafuri gate. If you enter at Pafuri, you pass the turn to the river road via the Pafuri picnic spot, and to Crooks Cnr - so if you leave Map early, certainly very doable to visit Crooks Cnr on your way to Punda.

Thanks you so much. Just wat I wanted to hear. Will be in the limpopo forest tent camp for th 3 nights. Was planning on leaving as early as possible.

Hugh wrote:Stop at Pafuri Picnic spot for lunch and have a chat to Frank.. Have your yellow ribbon and binos handy He spots them a mile off

If time allows, will definitly stop over.

How safe is this route ? Does it pass through venda ?

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:54 am

We felt perfectly safe all the way. The road was pretty quiet. And we were towing a caravan.

Not sure of where Venda area is/was ... but not once did I feel we needed to worry at all. Its very 'rural'.

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:45 pm

I will also be driving from Mapungubwe to Punda — entering at Parfuri gate — in mid-April and am wondering where along the way is a good place to stock up on fresh veggies and other groceries. Is there a PnP, Spar or similar along the route?

@Johann: Thanks for the heads-up on the roadworks! :thumbs_up:
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
16-28 November Cape Town
29 November-20 January Darling

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:38 pm

Arks, we stopped at a nice little Spar in Musina which was well situated on the road for us considering we were towing. It has a parking area, and is on the corner of the main road and where you will turn to take the road to Pafuri in Musina. There were other grocery shops in the town too along the main road.

Indiajane

Urgent advice needed please Mapungubwe

Unread postby Indiajane » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:26 am

Morning, hope someone can help at this late stage - we are going to Mapungubwe tomorrow for the first time, but are Capetonians and don't know this part of South Africa very well - two questions - which is the better route to Mapungubwe, via Mussina or Dendron, Alldays? Secondly, is the Den Staat road very bad - I have read reports to that effect but we have 4x4's? Many thanks

Joep Stevens
Guru
Guru

Re: Urgent advice needed please Mapungubwe

Unread postby Joep Stevens » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:42 am

Dear Indiajane,

Many thanks for your query. I would suggest the Dendron & Alldays route to be most direct, but it's quite busy especially first section from Polokwane, so take care. If you have more time, try the Louis Trichardt one. We did it once from Louis Trichardt and Waterpoort but from Waterpoort that is gravel. Otherwise striaght to Musina and then westewards. The road through Den Staat linking east to west is quite scruffy in places, but if you have 4x4's you'll be fine! Enjoy you Mapungubwe visit!

Kind regards.

JOEP STEVENS (joep.stevens@sanparks.org)
General Manager: Tourism Operations

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby bert » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:57 am

Done both routes and once you are away from Polokwane the Alldays route is relaxing.
Done the Den Straat in a sedan 2yrs ago and no problem

Indiajane

Unread postby Indiajane » Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:55 pm

Thanks so much Joep and Bert for your quick responses - shouldn't have left it so late! We will take the Alldays route and try the Den Staat Road - can't wait now and one more sanpark visit on my bucket list to visit them all!

NetEk
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Mapungubwe: GETTING THERE

Unread postby NetEk » Tue May 06, 2014 10:59 am

There are roads mark 4x4 only that I would not advise you try with a normal (read low car).

not sure about getting to Punda you will probable have to go via Weipe or back via Venetia just check with the staff if the Weipe road is still open.

We travel from JHB to Polokwane then on through Vivo & Dendron on to Alldays and from there on to Map.

PM if you want more info on how to get through Polokwane and Alldays.
I live in my own little world. But it's okay they know me here.

Imberbe

Re: Mapungubwe: GETTING THERE

Unread postby Imberbe » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:31 pm

We recently visited Mapungubwe and traveled via Alldays.

I would use the Alldays route.

There are three sections which are badly potholed on this route. The first (driving towards Mapungubwe) is just before Alldays. It is not too bad, nor too long.

The second is approx. 10 km (?) outside Alldays towards Mapungubwe. It is bad, you will have to drive slowly, especially if you do not drive a robust vehicle. It is not too long, only a few hundred meters, but the holes cover the road and are basically unavoidable.

The third section only affects you if you stay in the Limpopo Forest Tented Camp or the Camping site. It is a section just before you turn in on the dirt road and on the road towards Pont Drift. It is also bad with lots of potholes, though not very deep ones.

So leaving Mapungubwe drive Alldays, then Polokwane and then down the N1 towards Pretoria.

Enjoy ...it is a special park!
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Pafuri to Mapungubwe

Unread postby arks » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:41 pm

I'll be driving from KNP, exiting Pafuri gate, to Mapungubwe in April and am wondering whether there are still the detours that exisited in November 2014, or have the roads been repaired? As I recall, there was one detour on the R525 and another on the R572. Any updates on these?
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
16-28 November Cape Town

BirgitJo

Re: Pafuri to Mapungubwe

Unread postby BirgitJo » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:56 pm

Hi arks,

I drove that way in September. There were 2 small detour on damaged bridges on each road. Just drive down the dry river bed and up on the other side.
So you can´t really call it a detour :wink:

Enjoy your trip :dance:

Birgit

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:10 pm

Thanks, Bridget. That's what I recall of the 'detour(s)' on the R572, but the one that I remember on the R525 was substantially more complicated, involving a detour thru part of the village (I've forgotten the name, it might have been Masisi?) and was NOT very well signposted.
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
16-28 November Cape Town

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:04 pm

Some more advice that might be of help Here Arks, but just going the other way! :wink:
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 11th Feb - 8th March 2016

Return to “Northern Parks”