Skip to Content

Wide Angle Lens Advice

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
Switchback

Tokina 11 - 16mm F2.8

Unread post by Switchback » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:32 am

Many may know that I got the Tokina Wide Angle lens just before my recent KTP trip and Forumite 4x4 Eco Trail. Just some feedback on this lens: it is AWESOME!! I use it on my Nikon D90.

I couldn't get enough of this lens, from portraits, groupts to landscapes this lens really impressed me! Fast AF, sharp pictures, distortion and vignetting not as mush as expected, and of coure, the angle at 11mm is just fantastic.

Here is a group shot I took, I literellay stood in front of Bush Baptist when I took the shot and got all in with ease:

Here's also a sample of portrait and landscape shot:

KNP: 14 June: Skukuza Camping
15 -21 June: Letaba Camping

timbo
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Wide Angle lens for 7d

Unread post by timbo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:45 pm

The 10-22 is ultra wide angle, anything smaller and you gonna have to go the fisheye route, brilliant lens, good optics, if wide angle is what you want, then its perfect
I try my best and that's what matters I hope.

anne catherine

Unread post by anne catherine » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:13 pm

Duques,

Yes ,it's not the right lens to take pics from a car :)
I must say i took my 10-22 with me on my last trip in KTP(january 2012) and did'nt used it at all; last year in KTP i took a lot of pictures with it in the wilderness camps for bungalows pictures.
But this year,too much visitors at the waterhole in the camps and birds ,so the two bodies were always attached with the long lenses,no time for the wide-angle :lol:
And for streets photography,i would prefer a 35mm on my 7D or 40D,but have only a 50mm,a bit too much at my taste :)

Switchback

Unread post by Switchback » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:36 pm

I'm using the Tokina 11 - 16mm F2.8 Lens - absolutely BRILLIANT! Definitely worth checking it out. All reviews i've read on the net about it said that this lens beats the Canon / Nikon and Sigma's lenses, especially with it's price.

Here's a pic taken in KTP with this lens:

AnimalMad

Canon 10-22 - Advice Please

Unread post by AnimalMad » Sat May 12, 2012 1:17 am

I have been looking for feedback from out there as to this lens. I have heard of comment of it fringing because of its wide angle. Has anyone had this or know of it and what may make it more prone to fringe??
I would be glad of any comments good or bad. This is to add to my growing 7D Kit.

Switchback

Re: Canon 10-22 - Advice Please

Unread post by Switchback » Tue May 15, 2012 8:29 am

I don't know the Canon lenses that well, but when I recently researched wide-angled lenses to add to my kit (Nikon also has the 10 - 24mm) I came accross the Tokina 11 - 16mm lens. Yes, it's not a very wide range - quite dedicated to the wide angle, but it is a F2.8 lens and it is brilliant!

Do yourself the favour and researh this lens - it came out tops over the Canon and Nikon wide angle lenses at half the price. I ordered mine via Amazon and had AMAZING results with this lens!

MPL

What lens to buy???

Unread post by MPL » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:02 pm

Hi everyone,

We’re planned a trip in September to KNP and will be staying one night at Sabledam. I want to start experimenting with night sky photos. For star trail photos I’ll use my Canon EF-S 55 - 250mm f4-5.6 IS lens (just need to sort out the settings). But I need to buy a wide angle lens for night sky photos. Do I go for the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM or the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens? Or what about the Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L USM Lens? :doh:

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: What lens to buy???

Unread post by DuQues » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:10 pm

For both I would use the widest lens, so the 10-22 or 10-20.
If you just want to photograph the sky it is no longer than a few minutes, otherwise you will see the stars creating trails already.
The f-stop doesn't make much of a difference in the equation, you are talking about long exposures.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: What lens to buy???

Unread post by DuQues » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:16 pm

Actually, as you will only be using it on the trip you should have a look at renting the lens?
That kind of lens will not be a very expensive rental?

And I miss the 17-40 L f/4 lens in your list! :rtm:
That is an extremely good lens for your purposes, and for landscapes, as well as general photography.
I know, I bought one, but it got hijacked forever by my SO. :(
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

moobox
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Landscape lens

Unread post by moobox » Sun May 25, 2014 4:54 pm

Hello everyone
Well, I pulled the trigger on a 70d. But I pulled it wothout lens - just body. Because I thought to myself, hey I'll get a lens a bit later. And I see a lot of happy things being said about the Canon 100-400. ie here and elsewhere. so it seems that a zoom might sacrifice a bit of sharpness and compensate for that with versatility. So I am eyeing the 100-400 and think I'll go for that. Maybe I'll rent one for a few days to see.

Then there is the other little matter of taking some landscape shots. So, something wide angle is required. Now, I see a lens at Orms which is apparently due in about July. A canon 10-18 f4.5-5.6. Which appears to be a pretty OK lens at a pretty OK price. Around 4 G's.

Can the people who know these things tell me if my thinking is sound please?

Cheers - Ed

timbo
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Landscape lens

Unread post by timbo » Mon May 26, 2014 9:11 pm

If money wasn't the options I would look at the 200-400mm f/4 with the built in 1.4x extender (Man that is a beauty)

But I owned a 100-400mm and consider it to be an awesome lens, I never had any issues with dust and I put that lens through hell in the bush :) you might consider the sigma or tamron alternative but remember that sigma and tamron QC aren't always as good as Canon's, canon you almost gaurenteed to get a decent copy of the 100-400 whereas the generics you may find it softer then you would like.

The 70D is an amazing little camera.

The 10-18mm is so new I not sure anyone other then maybe Roger at Canon has one to play with, might be worthwhile waiting and renting it to get a feel for the lens, you might also be interested in the 10-22 sigma, seen some awesome results with that lens or the new 16-35mm f/4.

Remember with the 70D, you will have a crop factor to work with, ie, your 10-18 is actually a 16mm to about a 30 I would say off the top of my head :)

Hope this helps.

Have a look at dxomark.com, great site for comparing lenses with specific bodies
I try my best and that's what matters I hope.

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”