Skip to Content

General advice needed

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
emman

Re: NEWBIES AT LOWER SABIE

Unread postby emman » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:01 pm

Just a bit of extra information regarding your trip:
Kruger International Airport is just outside Nelspruit, a large town outside the Kruger Park.
You will have to drive outside the park to get to the appropriate gate.
Once you have made your booking and know which camp you will be staying at, let me know and I can advise which gate to enter the Kruger Park.

The drive to the park is along either a main highway or single lane roads, but either way, they are very safe to travel along.

Also then, once you have made your booking, I'll give you some tips on food and things you will need to bring with you depending on the accommodation type.
As said previously, try and book accommodation which has ablutions and a kitchen in the unit, rather than the communal ones as it will be a lot easier for you to have everything there - you really don't want to be packing plates and cutlery in your suitcase!!!

Good luck on getting accommodation.
You are booking in one of the two busiest times but check the availability every day as cancellations do happen where people haven't paid their deposits on time.
As for the game drives and walks, you can book these at the camp but try and do the booking on arrival for the following day or two ahead.

noel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby noel » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:47 pm

Apart from the excellent advice already given, I would suggest you do not confine yourself to Lower Sabie, as great as it is.
Consider other camps -Berg n' Dal is is a wonderful camp too, more modern, and more spacious, as the chalet are far apart enough to allow privacy and also has a large dam on the doorstep with a wonderful walk along its edge.
Crocodile Bridge too is wonderful, also on a river, as is Skukuza.
Pretoriuskop too is wonderful.
Depending on how many days you are planning to be in the park, I would suggest spreading your stay over a few camps-that's the best way to get a feel for KNP.
Each camp is unique, with its own contribution to a wonderful experience that is Kruger.
Especially if you opt (which you must do) for the self drive.
2-3 days in each camp is the most rewarding.
Consider buying your own food to prepare-some of the camps food can be horrendous and potentially it can spoil a wonderful time in the Park.
You should have very little difficulty in finding a suitable place to but food in Nelspruit, White River, Malelane or Komatiepoort.
It is also a good way to get to know your neighbours for some chit chat.
And then as far as booking on-line- check every day-there are always-I repeat always cancellations, but then you must be quick.
I have had several occasions in which I have found bookings on the day before I arrived, and also have found accommodation the day I arrived there, though I would not recommend taking that risk if you are coming from abroad.

Hope you get your accommodation.
Remember to bring you swimming costume (almost said swimming gear then I had visions of someone arriving at LS with snorkels, oxygen tanks and the likes :D ) as it can be unbearably hot in December.
Most camps have wonderful swimming pools.

You do not have to confine yourself to the south of the Park.
The North is even better, less crowded, and you can fly to places such as Phalaborwa.
Satara is well known for lion and wild dog sightings.
You also get to see more big tuskers in the North.
But I should mention that the north is even hotter.
Personally, I would recommend a drive from Johannesburg to the KNP- but then I am a local and have been doing that for 30 odd years- I never get tired of it!

ockiev

Unread postby ockiev » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:14 pm

The closest airport will be the one at Nelspruit/White River.
It has car hire facilities there and there are shopping malls close by to get stuff for self catering if you want to do it that way.

The closest gate from White River/ Nelspruit is Numbi Gate, not recommended due to road conditions.
The best is to enter via Phabeni Gate or Paul Kruger Gate.
From White River travel to Hazyview.
Phabeni Gate 12.5 KM from Hazyview and Kruger Gate 32 km.

When booking your accommodation at LS or Skukuza make sure that you have allowed enough time to travel from KMIA to the camp as you need to be in that camp before the camp gate closed 18H30.
On the travel link check the "how to get there' tab, it will give you the estimate travel time.
I suggest that you add a hour on to the estimated time as you never know what will be on or next to the road "sightings" Rhino or Elli road block, that could delay your time of arrival.

Car Hire:

I suggest that when book a car through Avis Car Rental book it from one of the following groups: K,L or I. Remember December is raining season and the grass can be high that time of the year and you need something higher.

Audrey

Visit to Kruger Park in August 2012

Unread postby Audrey » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:21 am

Hello there,

I am planning my second trip to the park in August this year.
Was thinking of going on a night drive, but was unsure if children were allowed.
Will have a child of the age of 5 and one of the age of 12 travelling with me.
Could anyone give me any advice. Thanks

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Visit to Kruger Park in August 2012

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:09 pm

I am pretty sure it is 6 and up.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

BerkiSA

14 Days in the Park- What season,camps, accommodation types?

Unread postby BerkiSA » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:43 am

Hi all,

If you had 14 days to spend in the park, what season, camps, accommodation types would you choose?

Looking for ideas for my next trip :dance:
BerkiSA

NEXT TRIP:

Mopani
Punda Maria
Bataleur
Olifants
Orpen
Talamati
Pretoriuskop
Berg en Dal
Lower Sabie

║▌│█│║▌║││█║▌│║
© MΛDЄ IИ SOUTH ΛFЯICΛ ®

threedogs
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: 14 Days in the Park- What season,camps, accommodation ty

Unread postby threedogs » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:33 pm

A lot depends on budget, preferred accommodation style and whether you can handle the busier south or want to seek out quieter places. For our next trip we decided on a few things:

1). longer amount of time - 3 weeks
2). we had a smaller budget so a mix of accommodation utilising mostly cheaper budget safari tents, unequipped bungalows and huts but also a couple of good bungalows too.
3). a complete mix n match to see some of the south, central and north.

We choose to start at Phalaborwa every time, so we will stay at Shimuwini, then Shingwedzi, Punda Maria, back down to Shipandani Hide then Letaba. On to Satara, Lower Sabie and then finally Tamboti and last night in Phalaborwa with a Bush Braai from the P'borwa gate! We will definitely do a couple of walks, but haven't decided which camps yet. We will be in KNP from third week of August to mid September which is the same time I went last year. It was quite dry already and so visibility for game viewing was good even though the bush itself can look a bit scruffy. I love the weather at that time coming from home which is wet and bleak in winter and early Spring! Having said that I really would like to see Kruger green and blooming. But that will be another trip.
NO TO TRADE IN RHINO HORN!

roaneric
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby roaneric » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:01 am

Hi there

We like to go in the winter. The weather is perfect then, not to hot during the day.

We like to book accommodations that have a view, but the bungalows in skukuza, in a circle is also nice. We always try to book something with a bathroom, but a kitchen is not always necessary.

Our favorite camps are Shimuwini, Letaba and Lower sabie and we always stop at Olifants for a photo of our kids at the little elephant statue.

Enjoy planning. How long are you planning to stay?
Back Again
"I am not African because I was born in Africa, but because Africa was born in me"

roaneric
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby roaneric » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:00 pm

That looks good.

Why don't you try to fit in a few bush camps while you are there. Shimuwini is my favorite and so nice to sit there on the veranda and looking at the view... see these Photo's

And Sirheni is also VERY nice. See Photo's Even if you stop over for just one night in the bush camps. The atmosphere there is just amazing.
Back Again
"I am not African because I was born in Africa, but because Africa was born in me"

roaneric
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: August 2012

Unread postby roaneric » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:32 pm

Hi Lilacroller

What are your dates in August? We will be there as well, maybe we will see each other? Keep an eye open for our Yellow ribbon.

When you stay in Crocodile bridge, you should visit the hippo pools. Kids will love it, you can get out of your car and walk towards the pools with the guide. You should drive the S28 (lots of predators in that area) and a quick stop at Ntandanyathi bird hide will be nice for the kids. Also a MUST see is the Mlondozi dam picnic spot. Very beautiful view from there and fantastic to enjoy a nice skottlebraai brekkie.

When your in Berg & dal area, the afsaal picnic spot is nice for a breakfast. Gardenia bird hide is nice for the kids and to stretch your legs.

Skukuza is a nice camp for the children. I hope the weather is okay to swim in August (my kids hope so as well) There are 3 swimming pools in skukuza. We love to visit the lake panic bird hide so that is something you shouldn't miss. Just don't go to late, it can get very crowded there sometimes. Driving towards Malelane on the H1-1 you will find a very nice lookout point 'Mathekenyane' (granokop) where you can get out of your car and my kids always love it there.

Enjoy planning your trip
(if you like some pictures of these lookouts/picnic spots just let me know :wink: )
Back Again

roaneric
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: August 2012

Unread postby roaneric » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:39 pm

Hi there again

It's a pleasure :wink:

We will be in Pretoriuskop 13-15 August, Tamboti the 16th and Satara the 17-20th.

Maybe we will see each other on the roads. :thumbs_up:

Pictures:

Mlondozi

Mathekenyane (Granokop)

forum mates gathered at Mathekenyane (Granokop) (Cricket@skukuza 2012)

Lake panic

Afsaal

Hippo pools
Back Again

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Top planning hints for your Kruger visit

Unread postby ecojunkie » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:56 am

I have a cheap Bushbaby picnic back-pack which I bought at Checkers. It has 4 place settings and a cool-bag plus 2 bottle coolers. This goes with me in the car for drinks etc, and is my basic camping equipment too.

Also have a thermocooler for cold stuff when travelling, and it plugs into mains for use as a fridge at campsite. Did get a camping freezer too.......but that is because I am based here and use it a lot.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

DinkyBird

Re: Bungalow reservations in Kruger

Unread postby DinkyBird » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:56 pm

Hi Frizzle

One month before you plan to go on your trip is a good time to check for what has become available. I think it is just a result of the general public not paying their final payments by either forgetting, or changing their minds about the trip. It happened to me recently - I totally forgot to pay the final amount owing on due date, and the booking lapsed.

But keep an eye out on availability regularly between now and then too, you just never know and availability seems to change regularly. Main thing for you now to do is to ensure you have some sort of booking secured for the period you wish to be in the park; this you can adjust over time.

Joep Stevens
Guru
Guru

Unread postby Joep Stevens » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:37 pm

And then Lower Sabie & Crocodile Bridge are of the highest occupancy camps in the Park!

Best wishes!

Joep (joep.stevens@sanparks.org)
General Manager: Tourism Operations

saraf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby saraf » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:06 pm

Frizzle wrote:Newby has some more questions :?

I managed to book online an extra day in Lower Sabie (same type of accommodation as the 2 nights I had already booked) but now I have two booking numbers, which probably means that there's a chance I'll have to change huts, right? I did not figure out how to book an extra night under the booking number I already had. Is there away to make sure I can stay in the same hut?

I cancelled another online booking and asked for a reimbursement - will the amount be credited on my creditcard or how does this usually work? I asked for a reimbursement since I'm not planning to make any extra bookings in the near future. However I still need to buy the Wildcard (could the credit be used for that as well or online for accommodation bookings?)

You should have been given a client number as well as your two reservation numbers. This will never change and as long as it's quoted you should be able to see all your reservations. I'm not too sure about how to do it on line but you should be able to merge the two. However even this may mean that you will have to move units, in the past I have done added an extra 2 nights to an existing booking when they became available but I had to move units - in our case we had to move next door. Its a slight nuisance.

I'm really not sure of the rules for reimbursement for online bookings, I know you have to pay in full up front but not sure about cancellations. I really wouldn't have thought you can use the credit to pay for a Wild Card, they are two completely separate systems.

However I can't say this for certain so your best course of action for all your queries is to call or email central reservations and see what they can do.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

Return to “Kruger National Park”