Unread post by Henk » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:30 pm

On 28 December.

Gina

Boys

Nomad

J.J.

Re: Addo Lions

Unread post by J.J. » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:34 pm

Lucky...lions for the third visit in a row.

PHOTOGRAPHY HELPS PEOPLE TO SEE.
Berenice Abbott.

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:44 am

Friedrich von Hörsten wrote:Question: Are there no cubs due soon in that part of the world?

It has been a very long time since any lion cubs were born in Addo -- what about Aardlam?
Are they perhaps on contraceptives to keep the numbers low?

Hi Friedrich,
Yes, the lionesses have been contracepted to keep the lion numbers on the conservative side. As you will know, we have already had to move lions out of the Park (to Karoo NP and private game reserves) when their numbers increased as this would have had a ngative effect on the predator-prey balance in the system.

Massey wrote:Does anyone know why a lion was darted yesterday at Addo (January 18)? Just curious. Thanks!

Hi Massey,
As far as I know (and checked with the conservation manager), no lions have been darted this week...where did you see a darted lion?
Megan Taplin
Communications Manager: Frontier Region

Massey

Unread post by Massey » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:39 pm

We were driving North down the main road in the Southern half of the park at around 3:00 in the afternoon and turned right onto the loop across from Harvey's loop (can't remember the name now). About 30 seconds after making the turn, we saw a bunch of SANparks employees standing in a circle in the field around what looked to be a lion given its colour and size. We didn't see them dart the lion, I just assumed they must have. They had some medical type kits and equipment out with them.

Thanks for the quick response! We were just interested to know what this was all about!

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:18 pm

Massey wrote:Does anyone know why a lion was darted yesterday at Addo (January 18)? Just curious. Thanks!

I finally found out what this was all about....you had us really puzzled there for a while, Massey :hmz:
It was an eland carcass and not a lion! I suppose they might look sort of the same colour...
The rangers were collecting tick samples from the dead eland, as part of ongoing research on what type of ticks occur in the park (and the diseases ticks might carry).
Megan Taplin

PJL
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by PJL » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:01 pm

31st Jan - Gina's boys on the southern access road...

anne-marie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by anne-marie » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:46 am

superb blonde Lion :clap:
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye
Le Petit Prince

back home...

DP

Unread post by DP » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:23 am

What a handsome chap Roy is.
DP

RonnieL
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RonnieL » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:56 pm

Hi Friedrich,
In the last three weeks I have seen seven of the nine lions in the southern section.
The two that I did not see at all are the two big males, Nomad and Roy
The seven that I did see in the southern section are:-
Gina and her two boys
Aardlam and Josie (females)
Norman and Zwaai (males)

I wish you the best off luck :thumbs_up:
Ronnie

For "Addo Park Experiences" go to:- HERE

kate27

So lions can climb trees!

Unread post by kate27 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:39 pm

We were lucky enough to see four male lions on a trip to Addo earlier this year.
We saw two mature males and two subadult males. The two mature males walked along the road infront of the car.While doing this one of them climbed into a tree and looked back at us. I have photos but can't work out how to post them any suggestions?

Kate

kate27

Unread post by kate27 » Wed May 02, 2012 8:42 pm

We have been going to Addo reguarly for the past 3 years and seem to go through spells of seeing the lions.
On our last 3 trips we have been lucky enough to see lion.
My favourite sighting was of this male lion in a tree during a trip at the end of February. We were lucky enough to see the two mature males with the two younger males.

[url]Image[/url]

[url]Image[/url]

[url]Image[/url]

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Thu May 03, 2012 2:35 pm

Wow, kate27, awesome sighting! :clap:
Where and when was this?
Megan Taplin

J.J.

Unread post by J.J. » Sun May 06, 2012 4:48 pm

This morning...first we saw Gina's two boys crossing the road...

A few 100 meters further Gina came out next to the road...she was alone and restless and then she call her boys...

The two lads rushed down the hill towards the road...

And join their mother...

Then the 3 of them start to walk up the hill...

Then we notice another big male following Gina and her boys...

When Gina past us we could see that she was on heat...

And of coarse thats the reason for this one following...( can someone give this old chap a name )

PHOTOGRAPHY HELPS PEOPLE TO SEE.
Berenice Abbott.

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Fri May 25, 2012 1:34 pm

Friedrich von Hörsten wrote: Why use contraceptives on lions that are a BIG tourist attraction at Addo, and allow the hyenas to keep on breeding freely?
Surely more lions would mean less hyenas as they are know to kill young and older hyenas whenever they can.
The opposite is also true: hyenas surely will kill small unattended lion cubs whenever they can, so maybe there won't even be the need for contraceptives with so many hyenas around at present?
How many spotted hyeans are in Addo at present?
Do the hyenas not have a serious impact on prey animals too? Pics of hyenas surrounding an eland and killing it were shown on this forum recently. I would rather put them on contraceptives and allow the lions to breed once in a while...

To reply to Friedrich's questions above (and I haven't quoted the whole post here), contraception is one of the management tools we use, in conjuncton with translocation, to ensure their is a balance in the ecosystems within the Park. We also need to think about the health of each population's genetics which means we do use contraception and translocation for genetic aims too.
We do need to limit the numbers of lions in the main game area (I'm including the Colchester section in this) since lions have an impact on prey species. Spotted hyena also have an impact on prey species and so we monitor their numbers too. So far, we have translocated some hyenas in the past out of the park to control numbers. We have not needed to contracept them yet as their social structure, as well as the effect of the lions on them, has kept their numbers in the acceptable range. Hyenas have a matriarchal society and if the matriarch is deposed/moved, there is fighting within the ranks to establish a new structure, which can also act to control numbers.
There are 17 spotted hyenas in the main game area presently.
Lions will kill or attack hyenas just as hyenas will kill / attack lions because they are competing species in the ecosystem. It all depends on the relative numbers of each predator at a confrontation as to which species will be the most dominant. It is said that 1 adult lion is equal to 3 adult hyenas in terms of dominance.
We will need to continue to manage the two species with contraception and with translocation in the future.
Megan Taplin

Return to “Frontier Parks”