Skip to Content

Kgalagadi leopard identification

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Kgalagadi leopard identification

Unread post by AstroMatt » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:28 am

Wow...your sightings just keep getting better and better!! The leopard at KK must have been amazing :big_eyes:

So just to confirm the identities of all the leopards you saw here is the list :mrgreen:
No. 1, 20-01-2012, Nr Munro, Rooibrak Male.
No. 2+3, 21-01-2012, Nr Munro, Rooibrak Male and Auchterlonie Female under the tree.
No. 4, 21-01-2012, 18h, Cagn walking on the dune and Auchterlonie female in the tree.
No. 5, 21-01-2012, Evening, before KK turn off. New leopard first reported by Afkpuz (currently unnamed).
29/30-01-2012, Night time. Don't know as no pics :wink: Were there two leopards at the WH?...probably Rooibrak and Auchterlonie female or her and her cub Cagn....but who knows :)
No.6, 31-01-2012, Urikaruus, the new young female Tsamma.

So all in all you saw at least 5 different leopards and had some truly wonderful encounters :clap: :clap:
Kgalagadi Leopard Project
http://www.ast.uct.ac.za/~schurch/leopards/

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

katydownunder
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by katydownunder » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:09 pm

anne-marie what a wonderful experience you had in KK and awesome to have so many different Leopard sightings 8)
Miro and Moose, another stunning Leopard sighting :thumbs_up:

We saw this Leopard here at Urikaruus, early morning on the 26th of November 2011.
Great light and a wonderful sighting!
Can someone of the Leopard experts help with the ID?!

Larger View

Larger View

Larger View

Larger View

The Trip of a lifetime....
Our KTP Adventures November 2010

Panekoek

Unread post by Panekoek » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:52 pm

Hi guys

So we saw two leopards on our recent trip. The first one was at night at Urikaruus, Sorry for the terrible picture.

The second one was just past Kamfersboom. It was an adolescent female and there was a guy there who said it was 9 months old. Here she is:

And thats all :)

Ari
I live for the bush.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next trip: Sirheni - April 2017 (But will probably get there before :D )

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:44 pm

Great pictures everyone and thanks a lot for reporting the sightings.

Miros....lovely sighting of Roopiuts and well done IDing her from the guide :thumbs_up:. It's great to know that it is being used. My parents (think you met them on a walk on friday last week) saw her on the 1st at Houmoed too. So it looks like she has moved to the Aoub for the moment...for the first time as you point out. Would be great to know if she moves up the river much as that would be towards the Auchterlonie females territory....keep your eyes peeled :D

katydownunder.....again a lovely early morning sighting and with perfect light...lovely. So you saw Khomani, she has been around the Urikaruus area for a long time now and that WH is certainly right in the centre of her range.

Panekoek....could you send me full resolution version of the first pic. I have a feeling that it is Khomani but can't be sure.
The second leopard that you saw on the 19th Jan is Cagn, the now more grown up cub of the Auchterlonie female. I think she is more like a year old but it's very hard to be sure.

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

anne catherine

Unread post by anne catherine » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:43 pm

Hi AstroMatt and everybody,

A lot of beautiful leopard captures here.
I think Anne-Marie already posted most of the Leopard sightings we had ,but i was alone on a drive when i saw this one coming ,just between Batulama and Gemsbokplein.

Could somebody help me for identification,please?

Thanks,

Anne

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!

Unread post by wanderw » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:41 pm

@anne catherine - Thanx for posting! :thumbs_up: What a beautiful sighting of Miera. :clap: When you saw her she was approximately 22months old. Can I ask, what was she doing and how long did this sighting last?

@katydownunder and Panekoek - Lovely sightings of Khomani and Cagn! :clap: Thanx for posting! :D
Kgalagadi Leopard Identification Guide and Sightings Form

F2/2014

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:25 pm

Sorry for the quality........had to crop the photos a lot...........my day of a close up leopard sighting in KTP still has to come................ :(

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

anne catherine

Unread post by anne catherine » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:39 pm

Thanks very much Wanderw, so It's Miera..

First i saw her on the road, coming back from Gemsbokplein,no more than one kilometer north perharps.
There were two BBJ on the Auob side .
First,i thank she was going to chase them,one of the BBJ went quickly behind a shrub but the other was not too much afraid.At the end the two BBJ were calling and flouting Miera.Where they just playing ?

Looking at my two camera ,seems the were not exactly at the same hour,i would say i saw her no more than four or five minutes .She did'nt chased them at all, crossed again the road to go back in the rocks.
Here some pictures,sorry the first one was took very quickly through the front window of the car.

Lion Queen, very nice sighting :thumbs_up:

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:08 am

What lovely sightings everyone is having. Its so nice to see the KTP leopards amongst the flowers for a change.
What a lovely sighting of Miera you had Anne :clap: . If you want to find out more about the leopards in the park then you can download my guide (link at the bottom of the post).

Lion Queen....you also saw Miera. She really is becoming a star in the park and is being seen all over the Aoub river. As i said great to see her playing amongst the flowers :mrgreen:

F1/2014

anne catherine

Unread post by anne catherine » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:04 pm

Thanks for your help Wanderv and AstroMatt.
AstroMatt,i will have a look (or several rather)at the Kgalagadi Leopard identification help,thanks for the link :D

I saw also an other leopard on the last two days,when alone on an evening drive.Unfortunately Anne-Marie did'nt came with me ,we surely would have had more pics if she did.
I was surely dreaming (or too much Leopard on this trip) and wasn't in a hurry to take pics when i saw him crossing the road...But he just crossed the road and jumped in that tree and i was too late to have a decent pic.
I saw him about four kilometers before Leeuwdril( south of Leeuwdril).
The tree was very bushy,and i wait ,wait,did'nt saw him well and after a moment i thought it would be possible to go to Leeuwdrill and see if some activity there and come back quickly...
But there were 6 lions drinking at Leeudril and when i came back i did'nt saw the Leopard...

The pic is not good at all,surely not the best for identification,but who knows..so i post it.

Thanks for the help,

Anne

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!

Unread post by wanderw » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:30 pm

@lion queen - great sighting of Miera! :clap:

@anne catherine - thanx for the additonal pix of Miera. :thumbs_up: Could be the jackals were taunting her, also the jackals were calling - they have a certain leopard call, so could be warning others that a leopard was in the area.

Your leopard you saw 4 km south of leeudril - :hmz: I think this is Rooiputs, the female leopard that has taken over Maja's territory. She has recently been seen in the Auob, near Houmoed.

F2/2014

anne catherine

Unread post by anne catherine » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:44 pm

Thanks Wanderw for the explanations and identification.

Sure ,the Black Backed Jackals were partly taunting Miera :)

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:14 am

100% Correct Wanderw....Rooiputs female :thumbs_up:

You surely have had an amazing trip Anne Catherine, at the moment your count is at 7 different leopards from the one trip...if you saw all of Anne-Marie's reported ones!!!!! Can i join you guys next time? :pray: :pray:

F1/2014

canon
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Grootkolk Leopard

Unread post by canon » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:53 pm

We have visited this lovely wilderness camp in Kgalagadi NP (Grootkolk) twice - August 2009 and again in August 2011. On both occasions we had fantastic leopard sightings at the waterhole. (We had Unit No 1 both years). I was wondering if this was the same leopard and am sure that our expert forumites will able to assist.

Last edited by canon on Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
WE ALL HAVE TWO CHOICES : We can make a living or we can design a life

Small Parks Promoter of the Year 2014
Sighting of the Year - non Predator 2014
Trip Report of the Year - other Parks 2014

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Grootkolk Leopard

Unread post by wanderw » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:51 am

2011 - Beautiful pix of Kanna at Grootkolk waterhole! :clap: :clap: Her range is from Kannaguass to Unions End. What date in August did you see her, and at what time of day?

2009 - ? Sorry, can't help with the video clip. Hopefully someone will help out soon. Perhaps you can take a video still pix and upload it in the mean time?

F2/2014

Return to “Arid Parks”