Skip to Content

4X4

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.
Scipio

Re: 4X4

Unread postby Scipio » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:28 pm

Dang, would have been interesting to know how the petrol model does. :thumbs_up:

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby okie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:39 pm

picnic wrote:No Scipio (4x4 use 1km in total) :thumbs_up:

Picnic - maybe you do not really need a 4 x 4 then :hmz:

In any event , not surprised at that high consumption . My Nissan 4 x 4 ( 3 liter petrol ) is also very thirsty at around 6.5 km / liter . Thats why I hardly ever use it , but it is great , lots of power and speed .

You know , you should just buy what you like , and what fits your pocket , and then go out and enjoy your vehicle , without regrets :)
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

picnic

Unread postby picnic » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:48 pm

:thumbs_up: Okie,the only regrets that I wouldn't want is a high fuel usage. :D

Scipio

Unread postby Scipio » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:54 pm

Okie, from my experience: Summing it all up on 4x4's I used.

1992 Nissan Hardbody 2.4.: Low on power, Marie Biscuit wheels, but tough as nails, and really good offroad. Fuel Consumption fair, about 8km/l. Only problem was the wheelbase, so straddling was sometimes a problem. Not too comfy, but lekker.

Series Land Rover: Conversions, V8 Landy motor, sealed fuel system, Salisbury diff's, Fairy overdrive(A waste of time), Took Fairy out and changed ratio's from 4,7:1 to 3,54:1, snorkel. Unstoppable, uncomfortable, unbreakable. Fuel consumption, :slap: But great fun.

Nissan 2,7 Diesel 2003 model. Comfy, tough, but underpowered. Still great offroad though with fantastic fuel consumption. :thumbs_up:

Toyota 2,7 petrol: Crap allround. :tongue:

Jeep Cherokee country 4.0l straight 6: XJ series. Great on and offroad. Great wheeltravel, tough, comfy, and best of all, fuel consumtion fantastic at 10km/l. :thumbs_up:

Landrover 130DC TD5: Comfy enough, I am a short S^&#*t, fuel consumption great, fantastic off road consumption, Best Offroad ability I ever encountered. All the mods, airconCD etc. Slow on the open road, but you can tow a house behind you, extremely powerfull. The best in my books for the serious adventurer. :clap:

Now, Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4,7l V8: Very comfy, but not tested offroad yet, only a few flashfloods, and rock-climbing. Will elaborate later. :thumbs_up:

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby okie » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:31 pm

Scipio : all of those :thumbs_up: The Nissan Hardbody is great , but the "smaller" engines not . However , the V6 -3000 ( 3 liter) arguably one of the best engines ever produced , and will run forever , "purring " at 2600 to 3000 rpm .

Engines are like boxers : a good big one will always beat a good small one .
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

Tracylee

Unread postby Tracylee » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:13 pm

I have heard that people who have Mahindras swear by them

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby okie » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:52 am

All day long :)

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.

Tracylee

Unread postby Tracylee » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:58 pm

Well we still havent found the right vehicle - but had fun trying out a Suzuki Jimny yesterday. That can certainly go anywhere - but wow it is small. I dont think we could take much stuff with us. Does anyone have one and what do you think?

moobox
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

New car

Unread postby moobox » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:36 pm

Hello everyone
So, a few years ago I started downgrading my cars. Smaller and lighter on fuel. And cheaper also because I had to get more of them. Now it starts looking like I am going to have to get less of them. You know, people start moving on and so forth. But when it's just me an my wife, I am inclined to think that I will stay smaller. To be honest, fuel and vehicle cost makes a heck of a contribution to that line of thinking hey. And when I consider the cost of tyres and maintenance, it also makes you think smaller may be better.

So, I'm thinking 4X4. But not a big one. A small one. I have not owned a 4X4 in my life before. Never had reason to and maybe I never will. But that is what I pay you lot for. To guide and advise on these matters hey. Why 4X4? Because I am thinking that me and my wife should start going a bit remote. Not very remote but a bit. And immediately I'm thinking of KTP. And I have asked before and been told that a sedan will cope with the main roads in KTP. And then again some have told me that it's going to be a bit of a stretch and uncomfortable. And also, maybe I just want to venture a little off the main roads and take a looksee what's happening where only the rugged and unshaven go.

Two cheap options. OK not cheap but in relative terms reasonably inexpensive and they dont make silly promises like saving the rhino when I pay super $ for their product. Renault Duster 4X4 and Daihatsu Terios 4X4. I like the former because of a 6 speed gearbox. I like the latter because of an automatic transmission option.

What sort of terrain will these be able to cope with. I'm not going to go by manufacturer spec - that would be silly.

What do you think?

Cheers -Ed

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Re: New car

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:58 pm

Moobox, I am exactly the same position and have been looking at exactly the same cars.

The Terrios has been praised for its 4x4 capabilities and recognised by many critics as a true warrior. If money were not a consideration, I would not hesitate to get one.

The Duster comes in as a bit of a dark horse. It does not pretend to be 4x4, but it is sexy and it is part of a good stable. What always worries me about Renault is the price of after sales service. It is expensive.

There is a fairly large price difference, but I do feel that the Terrios is the best value for money.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread postby Meandering Mouse » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:44 am

My daughter had a Renault Clio and spare parts could be really expensive. I know what you mean Josh.

The Rav is pricey, and it does not offer all that much more than the Terios. The Terios is pretty much Toyota engineering anyway. A couple of years ago Getaway gave Terios a great rating. If I remember correctly, they said it was the only car of that size with true 4x4 capabilities.

I had a look at Suzuki and I was not impressed. Not much car for a lot of money. It was also given quite poor ratings recently by an outdoor magazine.

The new Terios is rather good looking. I parked next to one n Saturday and started salivating. The roads I drive need a tough car.

The other technology that has me sitting up is VW Bluemotion technology. For me it would mean risking a second hand car. It does seem to tick all the boxes though and is as anti-blonde as you can get.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

stephan groen

Unread postby stephan groen » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:05 pm

I drive a Daihatsu Terios 4x4 Off Road edition (2008 - 105 000km on the clock). I have never had any issues with it and I have done a few 4x4 trips. It has no low range but it is very capable due to its size (I passed a few guys in Fortuners in Moz). So I am very happy with mine. One small draw back is the fact that it is only a 1.5l engine. It can do 130km/h easily but you have to gear down a bit on the uphills (I have a Manual gearbox). Overall great value for money.

I was looking at the Renault Duster recently and it got great reviews. Apparently it uses a lot of the Nissan X-trail parts & 4x4 system. So it will be a good car. HOWEVER my previous car was a Peugeot and I promised myself that i will never ever buy a French car again. EVER. Bad & expensive service.

Good luck

PS: Just saw the post about the X-trail: GREAT CAR (my parents have one) but the 4x4 is a bit more expensive that the Terios & Duster (perhaps look for a good demo / second hand buy)?
"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer by the stars."

13-16 June: Mopani

19-21 Sept: Mata Mata
22-23 Sept: Nossob
24-26 Sept: Twee Rivieren

Bennievis
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Bennievis » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:16 pm

Hello all,
Interesting topic. Its almost like discussing your favourite sports team.
Don’t write the Duster off, I also read very good reviews, its quite spacious (maybe more so than the Terios) and comes with a lot of bells and whistles such as touch screen entertainment system and satnav etc. But its pretty ugly :tongue: don’t you agree? It is actually a Dacia, a Romanian vehicle with a Renault badge if I'm not mistaken and has a 210mm ground clearance.

I would also consider the Honda CR-V which is a fantastic soft off-roader (hey MM)

Decisions decisions, its very exciting to hunt for a new vehicle :thumbs_up:

Harty

Unread postby Harty » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:11 pm

Moobox,

I followed with interest the various posts regarding the choice of vehicle for your needs.

By now I guess you must be pretty confused what vehicle to buy and hopefully you do not have to throw a coin to finally make a decision on the vehicle you want to own.

Yes I agree the Renault Duster is very much “SA favorite” at the moment and reading all the reports about the car, they are very much positive.

Perhaps not known to many people in SA, a face lifted version of the Duster has been introduced overseas and now doubt in my mind, the newer version will arrive in SA as well. That said, you find yourself driving an outdated model perhaps end of the year and if one looks at selling the Duster one is reminded that “yours is the old Model”.

On the more positive note the Duster comes with a 3 year 45.000 km service plan which is good for your pocket.

Do you really require a 4X4 configuration in the long run? (I drive a Suzuki Grand Vitara and have been in 4X4 low range for only 120km in 6 years, including Kalahari and extensive Namibia, Kaokoland visits)
The next issue is Petrol versus Diesel. This is a great hot topic in SA, manly of the availability of low sulphur Diesel in remote areas. I am of the strong opinion that a Diesel engine is great when new; just think of the fuel savings, but havens forbid when things go wrong. And trust me they do. Just a bit of moisture in the fuel can cause havoc and one can read in every motoring magazine the horrific stories regarding contaminated Diesel fuel and the costs to rectify the problem.

Then there is the Terios. A very capable vehicle with Toyota mechanics. When looking at a new one, yes the price is rather high but one can pick up good models 2011/2012 with 60.000km - 90.000km for 150.000 / 160.000 km. The Daihatsu has a good reputation is solid build and will give you plenty of trouble free adventure km.

My advice to you is as follow:

Write down YOUR requirements of the vehicle you desire.

How many km will you do “off road”

Fuel consumption should also be considered, as well as service requirements after service plan of the Duster has expired.

Compare parts prices, including body parts even if insurance pays after a collision.

Check where the nearest dealer is situated, no good traveling 100 km for a service etc.

Last but not least work out the price of a Diesel versus a Petrol model, look at the distance you intend driving, as very often you do not get your initial paid greater amount paid for a Diesel powered vehicle back, despite the better consumption.

In the end it is your decision alone, but look at all the suggested vehicle so that there is no doubt in your mind that you have chosen the right vehicle for you.
Regards

Harty
"With bad laws and good officials one can still govern. With bad officials however, the best laws do not help anything"

RobertT
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby RobertT » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:42 am

The service intervals also come into play when factoring cost between petrol and diesel. I am only aware of 1 diesel vehicle with 15000km service intervals which most petrol are at 15000km intervals.

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”