Skip to Content

Kgalagadi leopard identification

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!

Re: Kgalagadi leopard identification

Unread post by wanderw » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:11 pm

Next post is on behalf of Bibronsgecko, who is having problems uploading pix.

Pix taken by Bibronsgecko's friend, Kobus Saayman, seen at Dikbaardskolk this month:

Lovely pix of a beautiful young leopard! :clap: :clap: Thank you Bibronsgecko and Kobus! :thumbs_up:
A new leopard for the ID thread and booklet! :dance:
Kgalagadi Leopard Identification Guide and Sightings Form
http://www.ast.uct.ac.za/~schurch/leopards/

F2/2014

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:18 pm

Just a quick update after the first part of my trip.
I managed to see 3 leopards all together at Dikbaardskolk on the 10th Dec. The two cubs are as big as mum! I haven't seen the photos above yet but i imagine it is one of the 3 i saw.

I also saw a new young female at Kamfersboom on the 14th.

Miera is also moving north according to a few reports (i missed these sightings by minutes :cry: , but i can't complain), the id was made using the guide by Toureg :dance:

Photos and full info will follow in jan when i have a proper connection.
Kgalagadi Leopard Project

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!

Unread post by wanderw » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:31 pm

@AstroMatt - seems like you had a good trip in December! :thumbs_up: Yes, the above pix are of one of the cubs. KG also reported the Dikbaardskolk mom and cubs on the Animal Sightings thread.

Looking forward to your pix and full info! :dance:

F2/2014

Touareg
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Touareg » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:10 pm

These 2 leopards shot on 11 December just south of Auchterlonie.

Young one.

And the adult

And then this large male which was pointed out to us being the Rooibrak male 2 kms north of the previous 2 Leopards.

CO9E9122 by cooper5022, on Flickr

CO9E9124 by cooper5022, on Flickr

CO9E9126 by cooper5022, on Flickr

Four days later we bumped into this young lady at the 14th Borehole. I understand her name is Miera.

CO9E0471 by cooper5022, on Flickr

CO9E0465 by cooper5022, on Flickr

CO9E0479 by cooper5022, on Flickr

CO9E0486 by cooper5022, on Flickr

My further contribution to Astromat's booklet :thumbs_up:
Last edited by Touareg on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[b] Another day in paradise.

KTP: 09 Dec 2012 - 18 Dec 2012

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wanderw » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:14 pm

Many thanks for posting these lovely pix Touareg! :thumbs_up: You had awesome leopard sightings this trip! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1) Young leopard just south of Auchterlonie - this is a new addition to this ID thread and AstroMatt's booklet. :dance: :dance:
2) Adult seen with the young leopard above - this is the Auchterlonie female(leopard number 11 on pages 25/26 of the ID booklet).
3) Large male seen 2km north - The Rooibrak Male! The biggest known male leopard in KTP! :thumbs_up: (leopard number 13 on pages 29/30 of the ID booklet)
4) 14th borehole leopard - Yes, this is Miera(leopard number 15 on pages 33/34 of the ID booklet). When you saw her she was about 1 year and 9 months old. A beautiful young female!

F2/2014

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wanderw » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:29 am

An updated provisional summary of all the leopards on this ID thread(in order of posting):

1)Leeuwdril male - Pg1,7,8 ( Eagle eyes, madach and Jo), Suspected Territory: Houmoed - Samevloeiing - Leeuwdril, and Rooiputs? (No. 6 on pg 15/16 of ID booklet)

2)Old Twee Rivieren female - Pg1,2,3,4,8,9,10,14,19,20, 24 ( wanderw, Candy’s Style, Peterpiper, peterbee, bucky, Jo, Dreamer, madach, Touareg, jomardl, Bibronsgecko, anne-marie, Lionspoon JohanBarnard), Old Territory: Leeuwdril to TR, TR to Auchterlonie. Offspring: Jannie, Kruiper, No. 12 and Twin. Relocated north of Nossob Oct 2010. Leo name: Maja(No.1 on pg5/6 of ID booklet)

3)First known cub of TR female -Pg1,2,5,8,9( Peterpiper, peterbee, bucky, Jaraheckes, madach), Born: March/April 2007, Suspected Territory: TR to Houmoed, Leeuwdril? Leo Name: Jannie (No.2 on pg 7/8 of ID booklet)

4)Langklaas female - Pg1,4,16,17,18,20(anne-marie, Salva, ingrid60, Jo, kesheshe), Suspected Territory: Kannaguass to Nossob?(No.21 on pg 43/44 of ID booklet)

5)Rooiputs female - Pg1,2, 18,19,21,22, 23, 24 (AfricanDreams, Peterpiper, Lionspoon, Lono, lion queen, Scouter, JohanBarnard ), Suspected Territory: Rooiputs to Samevloeiing?(No.9 on pg 21/22 of ID booklet)

6)Samevloeiing young female (Maja’s cub) - Pg 3,11(wanderw/Marion & Roger Thompson, Fotomaljohan) Born July 2008, Suspected Territory: TR to Houmoed?, Leo Name: Kruiper (No.3 on pg 9/10 of ID booklet)

7)Urikaruus male - Pg3 (GavinW), Suspected Territory: Urikaruus to 13th borehole? Leo Name: Dakotah (No. 17 on pg 36/37 of ID booklet)

8 )Houmoed/Urikaruus male - Pg 3,5,6, 7,16 (wanderw, Jaraheckes, Sivet), Suspected Territory: Houmoed to Urikaruus (No.8 on pg 19/20 of ID booklet)

9)Geinab male -Pg3 (RichardJ), Suspected Territory: Geinab?(No.27 on pg 55/56 of ID booklet)

10)Urikaruus female? - Pg4 (Jo), Suspected Territory: Urikaruus?(No.16 on pg 35 of ID booklet)

11)Auchterlonie male - Pg7, 9,16 (carolz, Pumbaa), Suspected Territory: Auchterlonie to Batulama? (No.10 on pg 23/24 of ID booklet)

12)Rooibrak male - Pg 8,18,19,20,22, 24,26 (Peterbee, wanderw, Peterv, lion queen, Scouter, JohanBarnard, Touareg), Suspected Territory: Samevloeiing to Batulama, Leeuwdril? (No. 13 on pg 29/30 of ID booklet)

13)No 12 - 1 cub of originally 2 cubs( Maja’s) - Pg10,24 (Touareg, JohanBarnard)Born November? 2009, Suspected Territory: Houmoed,Munro, Leeuwdril?,1 cub killed by lions? Leo Name: No. 12(No.4 on pg 11/12 of ID booklet)

14)Twin - 1 cub of originally 2 cubs( Maja’s) - Pg10,24 (Touareg, JohanBarnard)Born November? 2009, Suspected Territory: Houmoed,Munro, Leeuwdril? 1 cub killed by lions?(No.5 on pg 13/14 of Id booklet)

15)Auchterlonie female - Pg11,17,19,20,22,26(Bushbuddies, IainP, Jumbo, Janina, lion queen, RichardJ, Scouter, Touareg), Suspected Territory: Kamfersboom to Kielie Krankie?(No.11 on pg 25/26 of ID booklet)

16)Kannaguass female -Pg11,12,13,15,18 (Nico, Sidewemn, Pikasso, pmllo and Jo) Suspected Territory: Kannaguass to Union’s End? , Leo Name: Kanna(No.22 on pg 45/46 of ID booklet)

17)Kanna’s cub - Pg11, 26?(Nico, Duke Ellieton?)Suspected Territory: Union’s End, Geinab?(No.23 on pg 47/48 of ID booklet)

18)Kannaguass female2 -Pg13,14,26 (Anne -Marie, IainP, Duke Ellieton), Suspected Territory: Grootkolk/Kannaguass to Lijersdraai?, Leo Name: Safran (No.24 on pg 49/50 of ID booklet)

19)Nossob male? - Pg13 (Fotomaljohan), Suspected Territory: Nossob? Leo Name: V-Nose(No.20 on pg 42 of ID booklet)

20)13th Borehole female - Pg 14,15,16,17(Jo, IainP, pmllo, A&C, AstroMatt, kesheshe), Suspected Territory: Dalkeith to Montrose?, Leo Name: Khomani(No.14 on pg 31/32 of ID booklet)

21)13th Borehole cub female - Pg 15,16,17,18, 21, 23, 26(IainP, wanderw, Jo, pmllo, A&C, Nico, AstroMatt, Lionspoon, ingrid60, Scouter, Touareg), Suspected Territory: 14th borehole to Batulama? Leo Name: Miera(No.15 on pg 33/34 of ID booklet)

22)Nossob/Marie - Pg 17(Vundla1), Suspected Territory: Marie’s se Draai?(No. 18 on pg 38/39 of ID booklet)

23) Leeuwdril/ Jaffles female - Pg 16,18,19(Jaffles, AstroMatt), Suspected Territory: Leeuwdril? (No.7 on pg 17/18 of ID booklet)

24)Nossob male - Pg 17(kesheshe), Suspected Territory: Nossob?(No.19 on pg 40/41 of ID booklet)

25)Grootkolk 1 - Pg 20 (RichardJ), Suspected Territory: Grootkolk?(No.25 on pg 51/52 of ID booklet)

26) Grootkolk 2 Male - Blind in left eye, (Jumbo) Suspected Territory: Grootkolk? (No.26 on pg 53/54 of ID Booklet, not on this thread yet.)

27) Melkvlei Male - Pg 23,24 (JohanBarnard) Suspected Territory: Melkvlei?(No.12 on pg 27/28 of ID booklet)

28)Dikbaardskolk cub - Pg 26 (Bibronsgecko/Kobus Saayman) 1 of 2 cubs seen with mom, Suspected Territory: Dikbaardskolk?(Still to be included in ID booklet)

29)Auchterlonie cub - Pg 26(Touareg) Seen with the Auchterlonie female. Suspected Territory: Auchterlonie?(Still to be included in ID booklet)

I am also busy editing my previous posts on this ID thread, linking up the leopards appearing on this thread with the leopard ID Booklet.
Please pm me if I have left out anyone’s post in this update. AstroMatt’s leopard ID Booklet can be found at

Please post your leopard sightings, whether you can or cannot ID the leopards. The more people that post, the more information( ranges, ages, relationships) we have available for the benefit of AstroMatt’s research and ALL forumites.
Last edited by wanderw on Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F2/2014

Jo
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Jo » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:32 am

OK.......between 13th and 14th Boreholes on 22 Dec 2011 at 10am we came across who we think is Miera, relaxing under a tree.....

She lay there for a bit then tried to catch one of the small birds in the grass....unsuccessfully.....and then walked south down the river bed.....

and climbed a tree on the far side....

The life of ?Miera......

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:25 am

I am finally back in Cape Town after a month and a half dotting around the Northern Cape...and it is good to be back. :) Lots to update this thread with so here goes...

First , it was really really good to meet so many of you in the park, Jo (that sighting was my best brownie of the trip), Scouter (thanks so much for the kettle), BB, Touareg (first person to use the guide to ID a leopard in the park :dance: ), Lono, and anyone else who i have left out that i met. I met a lot of yellow ribbons but unfortunately my memory isn't what it used to be.

The guide has been really well received by everyone, from people not on the forum right the way to the guys who run the park. There are a few things that need to be sorted but it looks like its going to be really useful to the park.

So now onto leopards.
Great sightings Duke, and great IDing Wanderw. I'm 100% sure that Duke's first leo is Kanna's Cub :clap: . I can match up the spots on both sides of the face and the forehead. This really is great news.
Also a great spot of Safran.

So the leopard that Wanderw posted on behalf of Kobus Saayman, is a new leopard. I am 100% certain this pick was taken at the sighting that i was at at Dik picnic spot around midday on the 11th Dec. More on this sighting later.

Touareg - your young leo is certainly new. I never saw photos of her when she was born in 2010 but i had heard rumours that the Auchterlonie female had had a cub. I just wanted to check that you saw mum and cub together?

Lovely sighting of the Rooibrak male and Miera...i can't believe i missed her by about 30mins that day and then by 200m the following day because of a green wood hoopoe sighting!! :wall: Oh well!

Jo - again lovely spot of Miera, she is really moving north when i missed her by 200m it was at Dalkieth. So maybe she will be a regular for those staying at MM. Think she might be a big star for this thread.

I shall put my trip sightings in the next post.

Please use the online form or download the spreadsheet to report leopard sightings.
You can also download a free copy of the identification guides for KTP and Augrabies.
F1/2014

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:02 am

11th December Dikbaardskolk picnic spot, 8am-6pm.
New female leopard with 2 full grown cubs as big as her. Spotted whilst cleaning my teeth at the toilets!
Mum walked across the river to trees and the two cubs emerged (2nd is harder to see on the right).
They then all walked back towards the road...annoying all spaced by about 30m!!

I stayed with mum to get good pics for the guide and she crossed the road ahead of me.
I only managed one other picture of the 2nd cub as he/she was right at the back and i didn't spot him/her cross the road behind me. But weirdly the 1st cub decided that he wasn't going to cross and remained sat under the big tree 50m up the road from the picnic spot. Wandered between that tree and the river area all day. I figured that either he would go to her or she would come back for him. It never happened. Reports over following days are that he was only seen on his own after that. So i think this might have been the day he went his own way.
1st Cub
2nd Cub

The picture by Kobus Saayman is of the 1st cub.

14th December 2km South Kamfersboom, 11am - 4pm.
Had a great sighting of the Auchterlonie Females grown up cub. She climbed tree and posed for the crowd before heading for a cave.

2nd Part of Trip 7pm.
7th January 2012 Large tree with weaver nest 100m south of the entrance to the Marie se Draai loop
Langklaas female at sunset. I used the guide to ID her whilst she was lying in the tree :dance: Very happy moment and a beautiful leopard.

10th January 2012, 3.30pm
3kms North of Kamqua in a tree by the side of the road.
This is a new female leopard, she is quite small. She was seen later that evening with a smallish male leopard looking like they were going to mate.
ImageImage

11th January 2012, 11am.
50m North Kamqua. Picked up the female and the male but they were very distant and under a tree. Only got one photo that is semi useful for iding the male. But i spoke to a guy who saw them earlier when they were close to the road and he got great shots. I am pretty sure this male is also new.

So all in all 7 leopards seen, and only one of them was in the guide!
Last edited by AstroMatt on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

F1/2014

Touareg
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Touareg » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:21 am

@Astromat. Great to have you back safely after what must have been an unbelievable trip. To answer your question re the Auchterlonie female and cub. Yes they were together and walked off towards a cave on the side of the hill. Can't wait for end March to be back again.
[b] Another day in paradise.

KTP: 09 Dec 2012 - 18 Dec 2012

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wanderw » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:59 am

@Jo - A lovely sighting of Miera and a peek into her life! :clap: :clap: Thanx for posting! :thumbs_up:

@Astromatt - You certainly had a great trip! 7 leopards!!! :clap: :clap: :thumbs_up: A lot more info for this thread and the ID booklet! :dance:

Dikbaardskolk trio - Fantastic to see 3 leos together! :thumbs_up:
Auchterlonie female's cub - Have you got a pic of her right side? How did you ID her?
Langklaas female - :dance:
Kamqua female and male - great find and great pix of the female! :thumbs_up:

Can you please include the time that you saw each of these leopards. Thanx! :D

F2/2014

enrico

Unread post by enrico » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:20 pm

My apologies for a mistake in my previous post regarding the number of leopards estimated to be in KTP. :redface: :redface:
I have just checked the Official Information Guide to KTP which estimates the leopard population at 150.

Still leaves over 100 to be discovered.

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:08 am

Thanks for the comments.

@Wanderw, I've added the times to my previous post. As for the ID of the Auchterlonie Cub, she put on quite a performance and i have a lot of side and head shots that allowed the match. I am currently updating the ID book so you will see them there. I don't have a great connection so i wanted to keep the uploads down to a minimum.

As for the number of leopards in the park, after having spoken to a lot of people in the park we largely believe that number to be "plucked out of thin air" hopefully this work will be able to put a better, more believable number to the population.

F1/2014

Jan van Wyk
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Birds (2015)

Unread post by Jan van Wyk » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:02 pm

On our trip December we were lucky on our first afternoon drive found the two Leopards.We first spot the mother between Houmoed and Monro in the river walking towards us. Then we spotted the youngster against the Dune.
Is this the Auchterlonie cub?

AstroMatt
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AstroMatt » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:29 pm

What a lovely sighting Jan :clap: and you are spot :wink: on with your identifications. The first leopard is the Auchterlonie female and the second is indeed her cub. :thumbs_up:

Could i ask a favour, in addition to reporting the sighting here could you download the spread sheet on my site and report your sightings to me in that form. http://www.ast.uct.ac.za/~schurch/leopards/ you can also get the old copy of the guide from there. I'm currently updating it with all the new leopards seen over december.

F1/2014

Return to “Arid Parks”