Richtersveld advice

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
WeskusKlong
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Richtersveld - Camps

Unread post by WeskusKlong » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:24 pm

Hi Kingfisha,

I cannot answer all your questions, but there are a few I can answer from 1st hand experience:

The Sendelingsdrift chalets are more or less in a straight row all along the river bank. Haven't been to them all but if one has a better view than another it will be marginal - the riverside is steep and overgrown so not a wonderful view but you are quite close to the water. The chalets kitchens are very well stocked - you shouldn't need anything drastically.

Apparently the situation will change soon but the shop at Sendelingsdrift camp is very badly stocked. Don't rely on anything from there, including fuel from the garage. No unleaded fuel is stocked at any time.

Tatasberg camp has a lovely view on the river, but some distance from the shoreline.

Don't know about Gannakouriep camp.

There are only two ways to enter the Park on the SA side. Most commonly from the southern gate. Can be reached via either Kubus/Eksteenfontein/Lekkersing/Alexander Bay. All depends what type of approach you want - ranging from serious 4x4 to tar/dirt roads. Then there is the pontoon from the Namibian side. You can get there via the N7 - through the Vioolsdrift/Noordoewer border post. Either way you need to sign in at Sendelingsdrift before entering the Park proper. If you have a look at http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=30206, you will see there are a few trip reports with a lot of information, listed under the Ai-Ais / Richtersveld heading, including one of my own with some photos. Calculating travelling times based only on distances is difficult. It all depends on the status of the "roads" in the ravines. At this point in time, the roads are mostly badly corrugated. The Park needs some serious rain to get rid of the corrugations, to reinstate the Park as a 4x4 destination.

Edited later:

I found this map I posted some time ago. The sections in red are deep sand and should be negotiated with great care. Enjoy!

In love with God's creation

WeskusKlong
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Rowing Kayaking in Richtersveld

Unread post by WeskusKlong » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:14 pm

Hi Lamps,

Welcome to the forum,

Nothing stops you from kayaking on the river - don't know how far you can go downstream but you can most certainly row from Richterberg to De Hoop. Just be careful where you go onshore downstream towards Potjespram as some of the land is mined by Alexcor.

I've used the pontoon before. Very convenient and adventurous but really not a reliable means of getting to Sendelingsdrift. The pontoon gets damaged/pulled out of service during flood waters quite often, consequently can be out of action for weeks at a time. Phone Sendelingsdrift to inquire before leaving home.

I'm a biker myself and also looked into the idea of biking in the Park. It would be fairly difficult on most of the roads. The road surface is very loose - mostly river sand that will really test your biking skills (certainly for me :lol: ). Here's a typical example:

vfrith

Current status of Richterveld roads?

Unread post by vfrith » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:12 pm

Greetings!

Can anyone tell me what the roads are currently like between Sendelingsdrif and De Hoop, and on to Tatasberg (I know to avoid the road along the river). We plan to travel alone in a Forester and are not serious about engaging with sand! We have been on many of the roads in the park a couple of years ago and had no problems, but never actually drove to Tatasberg. Also I am wondering if there is any news of serious changes to the state of the roads in more recent times.

Thank you in advance :)
Vera.

Vundla1

Re: Current status of Richterveld roads?

Unread post by Vundla1 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:04 pm

Hi Vera,

At the end of September last year, the roads were all fine - certainly down to De Hoop. One or two sections will require some more careful navigation - not sure what the ground clearence is of the Forester. Being the Richtersveld, many roads are rough and will give your vehicle a serious shake, and certainly nibble on your tyre rubber.

I can't comment on the inland road between de hoop and Tatasberg as we last travelled that over 10 years ago. The river road (Sept 2011) was mostly firm, apart from a few powdery sections. The GPS was fairly useful on the Tatasberg side of this track. We saw fresh cat spoor just past de hoop camp along the river road. If travelling alone, it may be better to take the inland road.

Tatasberg is fantastic - I hope they've sorted out power - we had to put up with the free stranding generator on both days during afternoon up until 9pm - a great shame. I suspect that the batteries weren't holding the charge of the solar and wind supplies and needed topping up.

Ostenwaldt

Rooiputs to Ai Ais

Unread post by Ostenwaldt » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:16 am

I need so me advise on the folowing.

I will be visiting the Kgalagadi in June.I will be staying in Rooiputs.From there I want to travel to Ai Ais.My uncertainties is the following,

-Can one exit the Kgalagadi from Rooiputs via Dikbaardskolk and then west to Mata-Mata with a 4x4 Camping trailer being towed? :hmz:

p@m
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Rooiputs to Ai Ais

Unread post by p@m » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:50 pm

Hello Ostenwaldt and welcome to the madhouse :lol: Beware of addiction ...

You can certainly tow a camping 4x4 trailer from Kij Kij over either dune road to Mata Mata.

I really don't see why you couldn't tow one from Rooiputs to Kij Lij -- but, as that bit of road is still under construction, maybe someone who has used it recently will reply.

You do, of course know that, if you exit at MataMata, you must do all your border formalities at Twee Rivieren on your arrival.

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:30 pm

Hi Ostenwaldt,

That should not be a problem. We were towing a Conqueror Companion from Nossob to Twee rivieren via the Rooiputs road, but I must add it was 2-3 days after the road was graded. Before the time the road was very shaky and we instead took the dune road towards Mata-Mata and connected at Dikbaardskolk when we drove to Nossob. Just drive the road to Kij-Kij before making the decision.

It is a single lane road but there is always space for uncoming traffic to turn-off. The dune road from Kij-Kij is shorter and in my opinion you do not see much after Melkvlei except for the leopards we did not spot at Dikbaardskolk and its better to drive a longer stretch along the Auob. :doh:

Just remember you will require a passport, vehicle and trailer registration paper etc when exiting via Mata-Mata unless you are a Namibian citizen. You also need to stay fot two nights in KTP when you exit at Mata-Mata.
Trip Reports - Painted, spotted and striped animals of the Koppies, TT of Three Arid Parks near Namibia in April 2015

Ostenwaldt

Unread post by Ostenwaldt » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:04 pm

Thanks for the advise.When going to Rooiputs,can I enter at Gemsbok Border Post(how far from there to Rooiputs),or must I enter at Twee Rivieren?

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi Ostenwald,

It would make sense to enter at Twee Rivieren as you would have to clear SA customs there anyway.

You can get to Rooiputs in an hour from 2R unless held up by a serious sighting. The road from 2R to KijKij on the SA side has an exit to Rooiputs.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Bibronsgecko

Unread post by Bibronsgecko » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:53 am

Hallo

The road from Twee rivieren to rooiputs is about 23km,and we have recently used the road from Rooiputs to Kij kij and if you take it slow its not that bad...

Have a AMAZING stay at Rooiputs!!!!!

BG :dance:
♥life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass-its about learning to danCe in the rain

Battman

Visiting The Fish River Canyon from SA

Unread post by Battman » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:11 pm

We are visiting The Canyon in April. Are their overnight chalets within daily reach of either Keetmanshoop or Karasburg. We wish to spend a night or 2 in the park. Suggestions please anyone!

mel123
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Visiting The Fish River Canyon from SA

Unread post by mel123 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:22 pm

Hi Battman, welcome to the forums.
We visited the area in 2008, and if I remember correctly we drove from the Kgalagadi national park to Keetmanshoop, stayed the night, after visiting the quiver tree forest and Giant's playground on the way. The next day we drove to the Fishriver canyon, where we drove around, had lunch, fixed a flat tyre and the drove to a very friendly guestfarm in the Karasburg area, for our second night in Namibia. From there we drove to Augrabies, then onto Kimberley and home. A very nice road trip. :wink:
So, it should be within easy driving distance from either Karasburg or Keetmanshoop unless memory has totally failed me.
We didn't stay in the chalets at the Canyon, but it looked nice. Enjoy your trip!

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Visiting The Fish River Canyon from SA

Unread post by Son godin » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:40 pm

Hi Battman,

Karasburg is less than 2 hours drive from Ai-Ais. Once I've forgot my jacket at a river rafting camp near Vioolsdrift and drove from Ai-Ais to pick it up and also did the trip to the lookout point and back to Ai-Ais on the same day.

Keetmanshoop is further away and if you travel pass Seeheim about 2,5 hours, unless you stop along the way. Karasburg is a very small town with a few basic shops, but not much to see, while Keetmanshoop is larger with a few shops, banks and accommodation. I am not sure if you plan to stay at any of the town and the route you will be following therefore cannot advice more than just the size of these towns.

There are only chalets at Ai-Ais and not along the hiking trail. (not sure if you are referring to the hiking trail or camp) This part of the park falls under Namibia Wildlife reserve and not Sanparks.

There are basically two places of interest namely the hot springs and swimming pools at Ai-Ais and then the lookout points over the canyon further north at Hobas. From Ai-Ais one can travel to Sendelingsdrift and cross the SA border on a pont over the Orange river to visit the Richtersveldt. You might need a few more days to include this trip.
Trip Reports - Painted, spotted and striped animals of the Koppies, TT of Three Arid Parks near Namibia in April 2015

WeskusKlong
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Help with Richtersveld please.

Unread post by WeskusKlong » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:30 pm

@Caracal: The condition of the roads constantly changes. Haven't been there for some time but what I know is this:

Akkedis pass between Sendelingsdrift and De Hoop will be a breeze for the G-Wagon. However prepare yourself for Kgalagadi - standard corrugations in much of the Park. Since you are a keen photographer you just have to sleep over at Kokerboomkloof. The early morning and late afternoon scenery is something to behold. I'm not much of a photographer, only have a mik &druk but these photos tell the story:

How about a very special rose:

Richtersberg is a much more birder-orientated camp than De Hoop but since De Hoop is much bigger it is the safer option. De Hoop in general have faster flowing water, kids splashing around on anything that floats is common. On the contrary Richterberg is much more tranquil with lots of bird life. Only problem with the latter is the good spots are scarce. 1 or 2 are excellent - with grass. The rest are dust-holes.

You may also consider staying over outside the park in the conservancy - at Tierhoek:

...or Bakkrans - you can camp IN the cave!

Caracal
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Predator - Honeybadger Award (2016)

Re: Help with Richtersveld please.

Unread post by Caracal » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:21 am

@ Weskusklong ..thank you so much for the info and the trouble you went to in posting the pics. They may only be taken with a mik en druk but they made me definitely want to go ahead with this trip. We have decided on Potjiespram and De Hoop....this is just a look see trip and next time we will have more time to explore the park . Kokerboomkloof will definitely be on the list then.

@Sharifa.....it is about time I did another trip report. :) I will galdly share my pics/info with you.

Return to “Arid Parks”