Skip to Content

Camping info/Advice & camping essentials

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.
Scorpion
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: To drop or not to drop

Unread post by Scorpion » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:54 am

It is always safer to drop the top espesially if you're planning to be out for the greater part of the day. The baboons gets smarter everyday! :P If you're going in season (or during the holidays) and short drives there should be many other people around and they will be chasing the baboons.

Remember if you look out for your 'neighbour' they will be looking out for you! :thumbs_up:
Enlightenment isn't switching on the light: it's seeing in the dark.

Jane

Solar Panels

Unread post by Jane » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:46 pm

My husband and I love camping at the remoter camps and this means we sometimes dont have electrical points to make use of. We managed OK at Tzendze recently where we camped for nearly 2 weeks but the gas on the communal fridge gave in and wasnt working for a couple of days. We want to be self sufficient and spoke to many campers there with their amazing 4x4 trailers and caravans and all had different Solar panel setups...one family had a setup that ran 3 freezers!!

What advice can you give us as my husband is not technically minded. Where near PE can we look or do we have to deal with JHB outlets?

Thanks so much
Kruger Park Aug 2010
1 night: Tambotie Tented Camp
5 Nights: Balule
5 Nights Tzendze
2 Nights Bateleur Camp

oddesy
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Solar Panels

Unread post by oddesy » Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:18 pm

Have no knowledge on actual solar powered freezers etc but we have a solar panel that has connections to charge a normal 12v motor cycle battery or also an car battery and that can then in turn power devices that run on 12v. not sure how quickly it charges or if it can run the hole day while charging but ill see when the rain clears up here if i can do a little test. :thumbs_up:
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Foxy
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)

Unread post by Foxy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:06 pm

We have a duel battery system, the one battery is for the fridge - besides being charged up from the engine while travelling, the battery is also connected to the solar panel which is fitted to the roof rack to get as much sun on it as possible. If we stay any length of time (2 or 3 days) the fridge remains at a constant temp we have set it on and we only open it when absolutely necessary. Had no problems with this set up.
Travelled for 3 weeks up to Epupa Falls / Koakoland last year and not once did we have to connect the fridge to electricity - not that there was anywhere to connect to a power point in those remote areas. We took meat frozen from here for 3 weeks and the last packets were still frozen when we finally arrived home. Friend who travelled with us had one fridge to use as a deep freeze and the other set to fridge temps, that was also successful.

Mike1916
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mike1916 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:25 am

I think Foxy has the best setup there, you need the deep cycle batteries so that they can run flat and still be charged right back up and keep their battery life for quite some time, you would need a fairly large solar panel in order to charge the battery fully and use it to run the freezer off. IMHO i would suggest it is easier to run a freezer off gas and run a fridge off o battery that you charge via the solar panel, as Oddesy said we have a 1.5m 12v solar panel and i did a Science project over two years regarding it's efficiency and i was using 12v motor cycle batteries and i could run it the whole night on one battery and change the battery during the day and then charge the other one and just keep swopping them!

When we were at Tsendze we used the same 12v fridge off the 12v Motorcycle battery but we did not have space for the solar panle but the batteries did last for our whole three day stay! I would say if you had two or three of these solar panels you would be able to run a fridge and/or freezer :D

I am not very cleaver in this department but here is a site that i just read through and it give an idea of what you would need if you wanted to be a serious solar panel camper:
Solar Panel Calculator

Hope this Helps :pray:
Sustainability is not something we do in addition to..........., it is about the manner in which we do everything

Tony Park

Unread post by Tony Park » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:22 pm

I'm also interested in this.

In the latest edition of SA 4x4 magazine there is a full page ad for a company marketing fold-up solar panels. They seem to be semi-rigid. The pack weights 5kg and folds up to the size of a briefcase. When you unfold it you get an array of what looks like about 3mx2m (I could be wrong there) of solar panels which you tie between poles or trees or whatever and peg out.

The makers say you can run your fridge direct from the panels via an inverter of some sort. I don';t have the mag handy, but I'm going to have another look.

ginibean

Electricity in Kruger

Unread post by ginibean » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:35 pm

Hi All

I need some help. :huh: I'm going to be tent camping in Skukuza, Lower Sabie and Berg-en-Dal and the sites we will be staying at have power points. I have read up about "blue plugs" but from what I can see these are mainly for caravanning and associated luxuries. I just want to be able to charge my cellphone and camera. If anyone has been recently and can help me with information about what kind of adaptor or extention I need I would be most grateful.

Many thanks xx
Counting down to April 2010 and a blissful week in Kruger!!!

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Electricity in Kruger

Unread post by DuQues » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:39 pm

In that case just attach an extensionblock to your cord, you will need the blue plug...
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:10 pm

Bush Baptist wrote:They sell adapters on some camps though.

This might be the easiest option for you. If you are not going to be spending time in the cities, it might cost you more trying to find a camping shop that sells the plugs.

The adaptors take a normal SA 3 pin plug.
- Dalene

ginibean

Unread post by ginibean » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:25 pm

So the adaptors plug directly into the power point and then I can just use a normal 3pin? Just want to make sure I'm getting it right.
Counting down to April 2010 and a blissful week in Kruger!!!

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:55 pm

Yes. We caravan a lot in Kruger, and have a blue plug into the caravan, but on the other end of our extension lead we have a 3 pin plug because many parks in SA do not cater for the blue plugs. So we always use the adapter. Just remember to take it with you when you leave. I have forgotten a few behind by unplugging the 3 pin plug only :roll:
- Dalene

Riaanf31

Campervan

Unread post by Riaanf31 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:52 pm

On my last vist to KNP i saw a couple of Campervans, but didn't take down the details of any rental company. Can anybody please help so I may look in to this as an option for my next trip. Also what restrictions,if any there are when driving around the park. I saw campervans along all manner of road so would think that the size issue is the only major thing to consider.

Riaan
To see a sunrise in KNP is to see magic.

Sprocky

Re: Campervan

Unread post by Sprocky » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:22 pm

Riaan, they are great if you are spending one night at a camp. If you are spending two or more nights it becomes a hassle, as you have to pack up almost everything before going out on a drive. If you are staying more than one night at a camp, I would suggest buying a tent and a bit of camping gear. It will work out cheaper than the rental on the camper.

bambazonke

CAMPING CHECKLIST

Unread post by bambazonke » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:52 pm

Hi all

Tent Washbags tea
Groundsheet Sunscreen coffee
Sleepingbags/duvets Insect repellent milo
sleeping/mar/stretcher mosiquito repellent long life milk
airbeds + pump hand wash rusks
pillows tissues cereals
rain jackets moist wipes biscuits (sweet)
towels + swimming first aid kit crispbreads etc
dishtowels binoculars cooking oil
discloths camera peanut butter
spare cloths reference books i.e. birds jams
broom/dustpan & brush notebook/pens/pencils packet soups
oven gloves maps salt & pepper
apron cards/games sauces
washing up bowl/drainer hats salad dressing
rubber gloves sunglasses mayonaise
scrubbing brush prescription glasses pasta
washing up liquid medication rice
To be continued
"If Life had a second edition, how would I correct the proofs" Samuel Butler

NO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER

VANPTA

Camping Equipment Reviews and Advice

Unread post by VANPTA » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:15 pm

Hi to all forum members who read this :D

I am looking into camping equipment and who better to ask than you guys who camp in National Parks...

Firstly, the whole blow up mattress debate, whats better? Double High or Single High? Please answer with advice which is gathered from first hand experience.

Secondly, Coleman or other makes? Which ones do you suggest are more durable?

Thirdly, blow up mattresses vs camping stretchers? And are there options for a couple to share a stretcher / or a double one?

I am looking forward to your advice / suggestions / reviews as I am going to KNP this Friday and need a new bed for my tent...

We can then start other review topics such as camping chairs and tents and so on...

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”