Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Mokala NP: ADVICE

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Fri May 20, 2011 12:37 pm

Welcome to the forum OD_1.

I am also intending to visit and need to know;

When coming in from the north, can we go directly to Lilydale, or must we check in at Haak & Steek?
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

louis dreyer
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by louis dreyer » Fri May 20, 2011 1:54 pm

Bush Baptist, when we vissit them during december 2010 we had to book in directly at lilydale.

A few comments back it was mentioned that the fence is down between Mokala and Lilydale so if you book in at the main camp you shouild be able to drive in the park to Lilydale.

My best advice is to phone Tess or the park direct and find out.

Reservations
Tel.: (053) 2040 158 / 164 / 168
Fax: (053) 2040 176
Email: Tess White (Duty/Acting Hospitality Manager)
Keep them YR's flying

Planning next trip

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!

WillemK
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by WillemK » Tue May 24, 2011 6:37 am

I just returned from a weekend in Mokala park (May 20-22, 2001) and once again I stayed at Mosu lodge. And once again I was not disappointed. I saw all the game except the black rhino and mountain reebock (I saw a few during my previous visit). I even saw the "grys duiker". And after the good rain reason there are a lot of game especially kudus.

Just feedback on the road conditions:

The 21km gravel towards the gate of Mokala is still in good condition despite the latest rain. I drove at a steady 80km/h with my Fortuner with no problems what-so-ever. Driveable with an ordinary sedan motor

All the roads within Mokala is open and in good condition - driveable with an ordinary sedan motor.

The road between Mosu lodge and Lilydale is open. It is 23km between the two lodge and 14km to Lilydale from where you leave the Doornlaagte and Kameeldoring loop. The road enters the road towards Lilydale 20metres after the Lilydale gate. So, I take one can enter from the Lilydale gate, turn left after about 20-30 mteres and take the nice "game drive" road to Mokala (Mosu and the other lodges/camp) rather than the uninterested 21km towards Mokala gate.
Follow my photography journey including trip reports and photos on my blog

WillemK
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by WillemK » Tue May 24, 2011 7:06 am

Just a follow up - I took a drive from Mokala (Mosu lodge) to Lilydale on Saturday morning. I left Mosu at 06H45, drive around kameeldoring loop and then I took the road to Lidydale. From Lilydale lodge I drove around the Vaalbos loop - the only loop available to drive. Not much game to see, first you drive between bushes for a few kilomteres and then only open savana area with ant-eating chats and Kalahari/Karoo robins keeping you company all the way. I was back in Mosu at around 12H30.

Stoffel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stoffel » Tue May 24, 2011 2:20 pm

The new Motswedi campsite is nearing completion. It should have been opened by now, but some "problems" were experienced. The turn-off to Motswedi is just a few metres from the Tsessebe Loop junction (towards Haak & Steek).

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Mokala National Park, Northern Cape, South Africa

Unread post by ndloti » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:00 pm

KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

WillemK
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Mokala National Park, Northern Cape, South Africa

Unread post by WillemK » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:20 am

And this is what you can expect from Mokala (if you are in the right place at the rigth time):

KNP-Junkee

Re: We got engaged at Mokala

Unread post by KNP-Junkee » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:50 pm

Thank you all for the congrats

Munchkin, to be honest we thought about it as it is very central and we have family all over the country, but we had a look at a venue this weekend in the Bushveld which attracted us immediately.
It might be the one :dance:

The courier arrived this morning with our pics at my work's front door all paid for - how is this for service?

Well I will let the pics do the talking........ :D

On arrival Tess knew how to persuade SO with the cocktails and asked us whether we would like to be her two guinea pigs for the day as she is launching a new website for Mokala and need a few pics of the guests - SO was overwhelmed at this warm reception

Look at my composure :shock: (thanks to camera technology you can't see my pants shaking....hehehe) .

This was the setup under the "mokala" tree. Susan suggested we could sit outside as it was pretty hot and it would make some nice pics. SO knew nothing

On arrival, Susan to my left and Nicolene at the back, Tess taking the pics. I got a speech earlier from SO when wanting to take my backpack with - she had to apologise later.... :D

Now I was pretty nervous as we did not have much time. We were actually heading to Bloemfontein for a wedding the following day where SO was the brides' maid. They expected us at 2pm as they still had a lot to do. SO was worked up and told me that I have made better decisions in my life :evil: -by now it was 13h30 already.

My princess

Nicolene serving us with champagne

Yes my face tells it all....come on give me some credit for keeping a straight face..... :lol:

SO's reaction when I got up - priceless!!

She couldn't get an answer out for about 5 seconds, the I heard a little squeal through the tears and the smiles.....it was "yes"

Memories rooted deep in our hearts forever, all thanks to the staff at Mokala. From SO and me : Susan, Tess, Nicolene and the rest involved in making this possible - you are the best and keep it up !!!

Forumites - go visit Mokala if you are looking for warm hearts, we did not even take a drive through the Park, but did see Gemsbok, Springbok, Eland, Tsessebe and a BBJ from the gate to the Lodge.

I will post them soon, a great thumbs up to Mokala :clap: :clap:

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:17 pm

Just a little taste DB

"WRINKLES
Something other people have,
similar to my character lines

mh_baer

Unread post by mh_baer » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:46 pm

We drove both gravel roads
N12 - Lillydale Gate (16 km) and
N12 - Mosu Gate (21 km)
in the last 3 weeks.

Yes, they were corrugated at that time, but no deep potholes that can't be avoided :bmp: - both roads were drivable for sedan cars.
Depending whether it's your own car or a rented one :whistle: you may drive at speeds from 30 to 90 km/h.

The road N12 - Lillydale is slightly better than the other one but if you need to drive to Mosu and have little time, I would suggest driving to the Hayfield turnoff and then the 21 kms.

If you arrive early you may also enter at Lillydale gate and drive the road inside of Mokala to Mosu. That brings you an extra game drive... :great:
Depending on your speed (max. 40 km/h) and animals sightings :cam: it takes some extra time - from a minimum of 30 minutes up to 3 hrs.

Enjoy!

Fynbos

Unread post by Fynbos » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:47 pm

Hi, we wanted to visit Mokala next year as well as Augrabies. We think of doing so during September 2012. We do camping (tents). Do you think the month is the right time to visit those 2 camps. Is there anything you can recommented?? Which camping site at Mokala etc. We are from Paarl Western Cape. During the visit to Mokala and Augrabies, we also are going to visit Karoo National Park on the way up or down. Also for the first time.

Div

Unread post by Div » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:54 pm

Hi Fynbos

September for Mokala should be fine, although it may still be cold during the night.Was in the Park on Saturday and had great sightings which included Roan, Sable and Rhino.The new Motswedi campsites looks great as well.I have camped at the Haak and Steek campsite as well which is also a great venue.The main difference between the two is that at Motwedi you have private ablutions and a small private area to prepare food whilst at Haak and Steek you share ablutions.

Enjoy!

Fynbos

Unread post by Fynbos » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:43 pm

Hello Div, thanks for answering my post. From what I read, there are no power points at the camping sites. Is that true? We don't mind about that but must prepared for it. I'm looking forward to see al the beautiful things I read about this new camp. Have a nice weekend.

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:24 pm

Hi Fynbos

We camped at Mokala a week ago. When I return home I will upload pics of both the camping area. Neither have power points, or any electricity. Motswedi has only six sites, each with own bathroom and little kitchen area, fridge and gas cooking plates. Really lovely. The hot water is solar powered.

read more here
Sawubona
Dalene

alf

Unread post by alf » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:51 am

mh baer you said that when having extra time one can enter at Lilydale gate and drive inside the park down to Mosu lodge but according to the map i have there are no gravel roads between these 2 camps?

If going to Mosu lodge one can only anter at Mosu lodge gate? Am a bit confused now. :?
Made my booking for Desember 2014!! Whoohoo

Return to “Arid Parks”