Skip to Content

Agulhus National Park info

Agulhas, Bontebok, Table Mountain, Tankwa Karoo, West Coast
annie R

Re: Agulhas National Park

Unread post by annie R » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:30 am

We've just come back from the new rest camp at Agulhas and were blown away by its position and all the things to do in the area - fishing, hiking, lighthouse, photographing shipwreck close inshore, etc.
People on the Wild magazine blog have been bitching about the cost, but in all honesty I'm not sure why they're picking on Agulhas because it's not really far out of the normal SANParks pricing category (think Kgalgadi's wilderness camps, for instance), specially when you compare with how beautiful, well-equipped and just plain classy these chalets are. I was impressed:
Last edited by annie R on Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread post by 6000 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:33 pm

We've just built a cottage in Suiderstrand and I am wanting to get to know the area better and especially the Agulhas National Park as my family and I will be staying there a lot over the coming years.
I was trying to work out the position of the Lagoon Guest House - is this it on the Western edge of Suiderstrand Bay?

The GPS coordinates on this page don't seem to make sense for it, but then neither do they seem right for the Southernmost Tip either. Are they wrong or is Google Maps messing me about?

Unread post by 6000 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:30 am

annie R wrote:it used to be called Pietie se Huis so some locals may still refer to it like that

Ah - then that would be it, because the picture is of Pietie se Punt. Thanks. (Also to you, Micetta).

Little disappointed with what I've seen of ANP thus far - seems to be rather inaccessible unless you're actually staying within it. But as you say, we're very much surrounded by it, so I'm sure we'll be exploring what we can.

Tiko

Unread post by Tiko » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:43 am

gregdeklerk wrote:How far is it from the Lighthouse to the new chalets and is the road in good condition?

It is +/- 5km from the lighthouse.The road is in a reasonable /good condition.

Tiko

gregdeklerk

Unread post by gregdeklerk » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:19 am

We had a wonderfull 3 night stay at the new chalets. We walked on the beach, rode our bikes in the park, visted the stone cairn and looked at the ship wreck. The chalets are great and the view from the deck is breathtaking. You can lie in bed and see the same view.

It started to rain on the last night, so this was aperfect opportunity to make a fire in the jetmaster!

icurrie
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by icurrie » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:57 am

:( Just been told by Central Reservations that Agulhas camp accomodation has to be directly booked with the camp??? I can't find this information anywhere on the website ...... the number they have given me is 028 435 6068 but when I called it all I got was a very confused gate guard!!!! I then tried the number on the "contact us" section of the park info (Tel: +27 (0)28 435 6222) and was told to call 012 4289111 - but that's central reservations!!!! I can't use the online booking system yet as I want to book to September next year. :evil:

Can anyone help me :pray: :pray:
Issy

Trip Reports:
The stuff of daydreams ... - Kruger
Kalahari Dreamin' - KTP
Just What the Doctor Ordered - West Coast, Augrabies, KTP

Lesego
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Lesego » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:34 pm

Hahahaha :lol: ,

I guess if one of us does not stop apologising, both of us will be apologising the whole day :mrgreen:

About bookings, you need to make bookings at central reservation because Agulhas National Park does not do bookings at the park anymore. You can call the Cape Town number as well on 021 422 2816.

In the future if customers are requested to make their bookings with Agulhas National Park, please get the name of the person so that we can report her/him to their Supervisor.

Hope I have been of assistance icurrie.
Have a lovely evening :gflower:
Lesego Nko
Web forum and Online Stakeholder Relations
Lesego.nko@sanparks.org
Tel: (012) 426 5202

Caracal
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Predator - Honeybadger Award (2016)

Unread post by Caracal » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:02 pm

:D
I think you will definitely have many compliments after your visit to Agulhas , Icurrie :clap: :dance: :clap:
It is an awesome park....not sure if you read my trip report from our weekend visit in August. Be warned about the lighthouse steps........ :twisted: Hope you get your booking sorted soon. :D

icurrie
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by icurrie » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:31 pm

Thanks Michelle, :D actually it's all your fault that we are doing Agulhas :lol: i read your report and then what we were hoping to do before going to KTP fell through so we decided to go to Tankwa with a side visit to De Hoop. We were going to stay at Swellendam for two nights and then ,....... in the middle of the night ....... I remembered your trip report and a decision was made!!! Russ had no real say in the matter :lol: ..... but I'm not telling him that!! :whistle:
Issy

Trip Reports:
Kalahari Dreamin' - KTP

Dotty
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Aghulus help please

Unread post by Dotty » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:50 pm

Hi jacquiandphil, :D
Here is a link to the page with directions :wink: Hope you have a wonderful trip
KUDU's mean Well done and Thank you

saraf

Unread post by saraf » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:05 pm

I think the camp is Agulhas Rest camp and it appears the co ordinates are S 34° 48’45.9” E 19° 56’30.2”. I've entered them into GE and they do seem to be correct.

From the web site:
This small camp is located 10,3km from the Cape Agulhas Lighthouse. The camp was placed and designed to meet high environmental standards and according to the ‘touch-the-earth-lightly’ principles by which, inter alia, development was limited to disturbed sites.

Accommodation comprises four two-bed and four four-bed self-catering chalets. The four bed units comprise two separate bedrooms each with own bathroom (shower and toilet) en-suite.
http://www.sanparks.org/parks/agulhas/tourism/accommodation.php

Some writings about the park I've found on the web:

http://www.yearinthewild.com/our-journey/?step=287

Hope this helps.

The park is on my list of places I need to see, so perhaps if you do book, you'll come back and tell us all about it?
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

icurrie
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by icurrie » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi there

Is there anyone who knows if you can leave Agulhus Camp for dinner? It will be our first night in SA and if we can help it we don't want to stop for too many supplies that day ....... ok,I confess, the bottle store will be visited :roll: but if we can get away with going somewhere for dinner that would help us!

Caracal, I know you stayed there a while back - do you know?

Issy
Issy

Trip Reports:
Kalahari Dreamin' - KTP

Caracal
Award: Sighting of the Year - Predator - Honeybadger Award (2016)

Unread post by Caracal » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:53 pm

Hi Issy

As we were not going to leave camp I did not really take note of the gate closing time. :redface: I have in fact just made a phone call for you...the gates are manned 24 hrs so yes you may leave the camp for dinner. The offices are in Agulhas itself and are only open until 17h00. Make sure you check in and collect your keys before that .
Enjoy !!! :thumbs_up:

Scadoxus
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Scadoxus » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:55 pm

We had the absolute pleasure of staying in Agulhas for 3 nights. What a stunning place!

picnic
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by picnic » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:45 pm

Nelia wrote:Hallo, ek sal graag wil weet waar die Renosterkop Cottage gelee is op die kaart, Ons gaan oor 'n paar dae daarheen en sien baie uit na ons besoek. Was jare laas by Agulhas.

:D

Trans: Hallo, I would like to know where the Renosterkop Cottage are situated on the map? We will be there for a few days, looking forward to our stay, as it has been such long time since we've visited Agulhas. :D

Nelia, I don't know but I'm sure someone who do will answer. Hope you enjoy your stay. :thumbs_up:

Return to “Cape Parks”