Skip to Content

Kgalagadi: Camping

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
p@m
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: First time camper at Kgalagadi

Unread post by p@m » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:42 pm

It is doable -- but it is very far :) Agree with GavinW -- stay in Nossob for the night and then drive down to MataMata.

If you decide to do it it one day, you will have to leave as the gates open and then keep an eye on your time/speed all day -- not a pleasant way to travel and, more importantly, very little time to spend at good sightings :thumbs_up:

ototw

Unread post by ototw » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:33 am

The section between Mata-Mata and Nossob is a dune road,as I gathered info here, but would it be dunes like at the coast or is it a road thats drivable and you can stop at sightings without being worried you get stuck.
What do you do if you get stuck,as the basic park rule to stay in u're vehicle,for how long?

WeskusKlong
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by WeskusKlong » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:54 am

...but would it be dunes like at the coast...

Not at all - no chance getting stuck on those. It is a proper gravel road. It is only referred to as a "dune road" as it runs through the dunes and not along the river as the other major routes do. In fact the roads around Nossob are much more sandy than the dune roads.
In love with God's creation

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:27 pm

One just needs to be careful on the dune roads, because there are a lot of blind rises. Keep to the left and don't speed. Sometimes the road has wash-aways that have turned into holes.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

ototw

Unread post by ototw » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:27 pm

Bush Baptist wrote:One just needs to be careful on the dune roads, because there are a lot of blind rises. Keep to the left and don't speed. Sometimes the road has wash-aways that have turned into holes.

Thanks,Luckily I'm not a driver that like speed,and in Sanparks I respect the enviroment,a speeding vehicle cause alot of loose gravel,backed with little wind you end up with bad road conditions.

ototw

Unread post by ototw » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:45 am

GavinW wrote:When we go up (two of us) we estimate at about 8 litres a day, but it all depnds on how much water you drink etc

And is there no water in Nossop,I'll need a water trailer for 12 days,

Switchback

Unread post by Switchback » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:50 am

There is water at Nossob from the taps that you can use for washing up etc. After our last stay in KTP we used about 4 litres of water each for cooking and drinking.
KNP: 14 June: Skukuza Camping
15 -21 June: Letaba Camping

Blackie

Unread post by Blackie » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:55 pm

There is water in all the camps, it just does not taste nice as drinking water. You should take water with for drinking and cooking. Or, you can buy bottled water at the shops, if they do have.
March/April 2013: Frontier Parks here we come!

Switchback

Unread post by Switchback » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:42 pm

Per day yes, here is a quick breakdown:

Swambo drinks about 1.5 litre per day of water + say 500ml of cooldrink mix + two cups of coffee / tea at least = 3 litres already.
I drink about 1.5l of water per day + 1l of cooldrink mixed and at least 3 cups of coffee = 3 litres as well.

Then that leaves 1 litre per person left for cooking, brushing of teeth, mixing water for powder milk, water for instant sauces / gravy etc.

4 litres of water per person may be a lot, and there will be days when we drink less water / coffee mixed cooldrink, but I'd say at least 3 l itres of water per person per day.

And yes, when I'm with SWAMBO I don't drink any beers, out on my own I enjoy my beers though. (not behind her back though! :lol: )

GavinW
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Award: Travel tale of the Year - Other Parks (2015)

Unread post by GavinW » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:24 pm

Last May we took 100l for 18 nights, and we ran out on the second last day.OK wannabe Nerd does drink a lot of water, and she rinsed her hair off in the shower with Cape Town water on occasions to get her hair to stop standing up like a glook (remember them :redface: ) so say 6 liters a day should be good.We bought thos plastic 25l jerry cans to carry our water in which worked quite well
See our trip reports:

Christmas Trees in the Kalahari May 2012
Winner Travel Tale of the year - Other Parks 2012

Wannabe Larnies in the KTP December/Jan 2015
Winner Travel Tale of the year - Other Parks 2015

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:43 pm

We have 8 nights including 3 with no local water at all. I am planning about 120 litres for 4 guys.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

ototw

Unread post by ototw » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:36 pm

Just returned from our long vacation,,,well water you need 5lit a day in that heat,

issi

Re: Kgalagadi: CAMPING

Unread post by issi » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:43 pm

Hi all,
The novice and the family is going CAMPING in TKP… for the first time! :roll:

We need tents… can you please help with suggestions on what to buy! We are clueless! We will be doing more and more of the camping thing in years to come!!!

If someone has a packing list… that would be a great help! :pray:

Thanks
Issi

Switchback

Unread post by Switchback » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:47 pm

Hi issi,

I have a COMPLETE packing list for KTP, please PM me with your e-mail address then I can send it to you.

Also, in terms of tents and equipment, in order for me to help you out, I need to know the setup of your family: how many / kids / ages / parents / married couples?

Hear from you soon! :thumbs_up:

Blackie

Unread post by Blackie » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:52 pm

Issi,

You will not regret it, that I can promise!

Tents depend on personal preference as well as family size. Canvas tents are heavy and bulky but can withstand the elements of nature far better than a nylon tent.

However, nylon tents on the otherhand, are light weight, and takes up less space. The better brands here will be Basic Instinct or Cadac. We have a Cadac 5 man nylon tent and had been camping with it for the last 7 years, using it at least 6 times a year and it is only now coming to the end of its lifespan.

As expected, the nylon tents will be much cheaper than the canvas equivalents. Being a novice, I would certainly recommend you start off with a decent nylon tent - try to get something with a verandah as well. If you then get addicted to camping, you can always at a later stage upgrade to a canvas tent.

Most people have their own customised packing lists but if you browse (Google) you will find many packing lists on the web that you can download and then customise as you go along.

Happy camping!

Blackie
March/April 2013: Frontier Parks here we come!

Return to “Arid Parks”