Skip to Content

To Camp or Not to Camp?! Whats your vote...

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Re: To Camp or Not to Camp?! Whats your vote...

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:44 am

Maddie, get a list from your brother of what he has and let's start putting a list together of what you might need. I am happy to help you out with a tent and some chairs.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Maddie88

Unread post by Maddie88 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:26 am

Meandering Mouse, you are amazing! Thank you! Today, for the first time, I understand why it's so great to be a forum members. It's like a small (or big) family here and everyone is willing to help each other out, THANK YOU SO MUCH TO EVERYONE!

I will talk again with the sibling and find out what he has decided... Get back to you as soon as I can.

EJ - Just had a look at your report on the camping sites ect. It looks great! Wow! So nice, in the bush yet safe, GO WILD CHILD! :D Thank you!
My Travel Tale: http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31301&start=0

Happyness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of travelling...

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by ndloti » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:11 am

To me camping is creating your own little house and environment and spending a bit longer tailoring it to suite your needs , in bungalows and safari tents I feel I am intruding on someone elses sanctuary . For me it feels more of a homely environment to camp , and besides that , I tend to stay a while longer in the camp because it takes a while to set up and pack up . Camping seems more peacefull and you are closer to the wilds but again I camp only in the rustic camps or in other camps in the very quiet season .
Last edited by ndloti on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Tony Park

Unread post by Tony Park » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:12 am

Hi Maddie,

Anyone can be uncomfortable when camping, so the trick is to make it as pleasant as possible.

To wit... 1. when you get to SA go into Game and buy yourself from proper pillows, for a start (no jumpers rolled up or thin camping pillows).

2. Have a decent sized tent. As you live in Oz you could do what I've just suggested to TW elsewhere in another thread, and go shopping for your tent in Oz - Austrlaian nylon tents are better made and better value than the equivalent in SA (I should know, I live in one for six months of each year in southern Africa). Splurge and buy a tent that's big enough to stand up in - no crawling in and out. If it says it's a four-person tent then it's actually big enough for 2.

3. Get the best mattress you can. Blow up mattresses are OK until they go flat. Even if you don't go for a camper van think of getting a foam mattress you can foll or fold. There are good ones available in Outdoor Warehouse.

cheers

tony

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:36 am

Good advice,Tony, especially about the "standing room" in a tent. I have also have terrible problems with blow up matresses, despite buying the best quality I could afford.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

droopy

Unread post by droopy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:48 am

Hi Maddie88,
Yeah :clap: , now that you have decided to camp, get that list ready of what you have and we will help with what you need.
You're talking about the wonderfull people on the forum and I agree 550% with you, but the nice thing about camping is that the people are always friendly, and you can knock on there doors ( canvas tents,etc) ,because they are always willing to help. And that is what makes camping so lekker! :dance: :dance:

Tony Park

Unread post by Tony Park » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:15 am

Hi Maddie,

That's a good idea about renting gear from Lynx.

Before Mrs P and I bought our own vehicle (which we store in Zimbabwe loaded with all our stuff) we used to bring a tent over in our check-in luggage with no problems.

Something else we did which saved money, on our early trips, was check in a plastic cooler box filled with cutlery, frypan and plastic plates and glasses. It was very light weight and we taped it up securely. We certainly got good use out of it. On the trips home, the cooler box was also a good carrier for delicate wooden crafts and other gifts.

cheers

tony

Maddie88

Unread post by Maddie88 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:44 am

Wow!! I actually thought of taking the tent I bought last year Easter over for my brother as it's a 5 man tent (it's more like 8 if you ask me). It's the coolest tent with a patio in the front and it's high enough to stand in.

He's got a small 2man tent, a tiny webber bbq he won at a golf competition, a flood light he got one xmas, 2 fold up chairs and a sleeping bag.

I was considering renting, but I don't know where to search...??? We wouldn't need pots & pans coz the boys reckon it's best eaten straight off the braai. They do everything on the braa, from mielies, to potatoes and we even bake bread on the braai! so clever they are. We have a black potjie for making pap.

African Lynx, I do agree that dragging my tent over would be expensive, it's very heavy.

Thanx to everyone, Droopy, MM, ndloti, African Lynx, Tony Park, everyone for the best advice I could have asked for!!!

Now, what would you reckon the weather would be like??? It'll be in mid June that we would be going, maybe the 15th to whenever, and I know that last year in WhiteRiver that time it was FREEZING!
My Travel Tale: http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31301&start=0

Happyness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of travelling...

droopy

Unread post by droopy » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:57 am

Hi Maddie88, I would say cold (not freezing) early morning up till 9 /10, and then late afternoon from about 6, it can get really chilly again through the night.

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:56 pm

Glad you like the report! I am at Skukuza at the moment for the Cricket weekend, set up in a spot I have used before (with help from forumites to get the caravan positioned and awning up).

I am happy in a tent or caravan - just prefer to take the caravan if I can as it means more weather-proofing and less setting up but much more space.

Maybe in the future we will have a tent or two left behind by forumites that can be loaned/rented out to other forumites - there are some oddments of camp equipment available already.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 7 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:57 pm

*bump*

I still love to camp ... on the fence :dance:
Sawubona
Dalene

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:01 pm

I'm sure safari tents don't count as camping but :wink: .....I love them..on the fence :thumbs_up:
aquila non capit muscas

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:33 pm

I find it much more comfortable next to the fence.......! :wink:
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 7 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:07 pm

It must be more comfortable next to the fence :wink: .
aquila non capit muscas

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:16 pm

As long as you stay off the electric wires :twisted:
Sawubona
Dalene

Return to “Kruger National Park”