Skip to Content

Highlight Troubles

Discuss the Orpen (KNP), Satara (KNP), Addo and Nossob (KTP) webcams
Yolandi MP

"Empty" webcam shots

Unread post by Yolandi MP » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:09 pm

I have notice, and it happens frequently, that people save webcam pics before having a look what is already been saved as the latest sighting on a webcam - often an "empty" view saved over an animal sighting. Last week there was a great sighting on the Orpen cam - Buffalo moving up for a rhino - just as the animals moved away someone saved an "empty" webcam shot - over this amazing webcam update - Same thing happened tonight again - elephant herd at Orpen and an "empty" view was saved again as latest update. I want to ask please, if we all could please try not to save "empty" webcam shots? Does anyone agree with me? :doh:

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: "Empty" webcam shots

Unread post by DuQues » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:59 pm

Welcome to the forums Yolandi!

As you may see, this is something that keeps popping up, but in short:
The problem is twofold, slow connections, and lag on putting down highlights. When you push 'Save as highlight' it's not that photo that gets saved, but the next!
And if the connection you have is slow, well... Things can be gone already. :(

Best is to save the actual pic, and post it on the forums, then everyone can look through the days sightings. I for instance don't have the time to watch the cams, but happily browse the days topics.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Zaro

Sighting what??

Unread post by Zaro » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:07 pm

I must admit it is sometimes annoying to see people just paste a glimpse of nothing for a sighting. Maybe it is to see their names at the bottom? :huh:

Tom124
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Sighting what??

Unread post by Tom124 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:39 pm

Hi Zaro,

This is an issue which keeps coming up again and again :?

I can assure you that no forumite is intentionally saving blank highlights, and it is accidentally done by refreshing the page or pressing the highlight button just as the picture changes.
I am guilty of such accidental acts, but it can sadly not be avoided.

A warm welcome to the forums!
Back from beautiful Botswana - a long time to wait, but KNP and KTP planned for 2016!

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Sighting what??

Unread post by bert » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:25 am

As Tom said
Happens by accident
But dont worry
When you see the highlights of each month all the blanks are gone

Lionspoon
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Highlight Troubles

Unread post by Lionspoon » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:09 am

First time ever that I managed to get on the highlight button instead of saving a pic...

and worse for wear - every time I go on 'refresh' for the whole of the webcams, it keeps putting my name up on the one cam I accidentially got on to the highlight button. 'scuse me! :redface:
Summer 2014 - Oz! It was awesome!

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:30 am

No need to :redface:, LS !
It has happened to us all ! :)
The 'trick' seems to be
to close your webcam page before you refresh and/or open a new webcam window and refresh there, which does not (at least with my browser) force the unwanted highlight when you refresh the page.

See Arks' post here.
On that same page, Nedret wrote :
Thanks, Arks - this is quite right - it is how form submission works.

If you refresh the page after submitting any form on the web, the browser will alert you that it is going to send the info again and that is where the users need to pay attention. This can happen even when shopping online, so do not ignore these alerts! Select the "Cancel" option of the alert.

Or instead of refreshing the page after submitting a highlight, rather click on "Go" in the address bar. That way it will reload the page, without taking prior activity into consideration when reloading the page.
aquila non capit muscas

Lionspoon
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Lionspoon » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:37 am

Thanks, Matthys. :wink:

And I did ignore those alerts. :twisted: :slap: :redface: :lol:
Summer 2014 - Oz! It was awesome!

Jungle Junkie
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

highlights

Unread post by Jungle Junkie » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:19 pm

riwels wrote:wat ek nie kan verstaan is dat mense 'n "niks" foto oor die fotos van 'n pragtige trop leeus in Nossob kan vervang! voor jy jou oomblik op die webcam vat kyk asb wat was die vorige foto. As jy iets beters kan op sit doen dit maar regitg M?ira baie van ons wou nog die leeus besigtig het al is dit 'n uur oud.

Hi Riwels

It often happens that the Highlight is replaced by mistake - but you should look at the Webcam forums thread and all the Lion pictures get saved there and you can look at them as long as you want to :D

btw the Lions close up are wonderful hey?

JJ
I am two with nature ~ Woody Allen ~

To vote for your FAVOURITE WEBCAM SIGHTING go HERE

My Trip to Marakele National Park- Here

Beverley

Webcams

Unread post by Beverley » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:41 pm

It would be so great if it was emphasised in BOLD writing, for viewers on the webcams, not to overwrite good sightings. There have been so many good sightings removed with arb sightings of webcams not working, etc. :wall:

Melrockson
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Webcams

Unread post by Melrockson » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:22 am

Hi Beverley :yaya:

How lovely to see you on the forums :thumbs_up:

I think you may be talking about the highlights at the bottom of the screen? If so this is a common occurance, and is not always malicious. Here is a quote from a thread talking about this problem (you can find the topic here)

Christy wrote:
I inadvertently downloaded grass, twice in a matter of minutes, a couple of days ago. And yes, I did feel terrible about it. Fortunately warties and wildies appeared quite quickly and the situation was saved, much to my relief.

I clicked on "refresh" and a popup told me that the information would have to be resent and was this okay. I must admit to not thinking very carefully and clicked 'okay'. It was bad enough I did this once and I felt really bad when I did it the second time. :redface:

Hopefully this explains why this happens often (if I've made any sense at all)? :lol:

Sky
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: A|fie spoiling the highlights

Unread post by Sky » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:20 am

Hi All
You don't neccesarily save what you see. :redface: :redface: Moving cameras mighty have moved to a different position . You might save the next 30 seconds frame and the animal may have moved/left.
25 December - Lower Sabie
26 - 31st satara
1 Jan 2016 Skukuza

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:44 am

Actually you never post the photo you see. You post the next one, so it's a hit and miss situation.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Melrockson
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Melrockson » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:43 am

Lovely cammers... do not stress! It just sounds like a BIG misunderstanding, and it also sounds like it's all been sorted! :dance:

It's just so nice to have so many people taking the time to watch the cams and post pics - both on the forums AND the highlights - you guys rock!!! :thumbs_up:

Look forward to sharing lots more happy highlights with you all!!! :lol:

Deeds

Submitting Highlights

Unread post by Deeds » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:43 pm

I know this is a very old topic but I am at my wits end!!! I submitted highlights by clicking on the yellow banner above the webcam picture. I thought I had learnt my lesson about posting empty water holes by actually closing the website after I have posted a picture and then going back into the site. However, I see that now two different pictures have been "posted" by me when I wasn't even on the site. Please someone tell me how not to get embarrassed when I see that I have posted empty waterholes and have 'over-posted' a good sighting.
:redface: :doh: :hmz:

Return to “Webcams”