Skip to Content

Karoo: Lions

Addo, Camdeboo, Karoo, Mountain Zebra
Flinder

Re: Karoo Lions

Unread post by Flinder » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:37 am

Hi Megan,

Just wondered, will you be giving us a family tree with the Karoo lions as you did with Addo?

What are the names of our Karoo friens, i know one is Nossob and I think the other one Bitterbal, but i'm not sure, will you please let us know? :pray:

Kind Regards :D
*Wild@Heart*

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:36 pm

The males names are Nossob and Bitterbal and the lionesses are Kamkwa and Megan. Nossob, Bitterbal and Kamkwa are 3 of the original 6 lions that were translocated from the Kgalagadi to Addo in 2003....so they have been on quite some journey :)

As far as I know, the four cubs (2 males, 2 females) haven't been named yet but will check this.
Megan Taplin
Communications Manager: Frontier Region

DrPhil

Unread post by DrPhil » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:54 am

I just read throught all 20 pages and there are some angry visitors out there that want to have it back to the way they are used too...... Walking around where and when they please.

I belief the parks belong to the animals and it is the responsibility of the humans to make sure they have a well balanced home. It is only a privledge to visit these parks and not a right. (like a right to running water.) SANParks are doing there best to get it back to what it used to be for the animals and plants before humans came in and killed all animals.

If you can't walk around anymore because there are lions on the prowl, just remember it is not your place but theirs. It is also SANParks responsibility to ensure the safety of all their visitors, Can't blame them from only allowing guided walks.

I was there in mid January for 1 night after my wedding and didn't see the lions, but they belong(have the right to be) there just as the mountain zebra belongs there.
Not in Kruger.... Busy planning the next trip...

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:59 am

Latest on the Lions:

The males lions are currently roaming the central section of the park in the area of the Nuweveld route. They are walking great distances every day on the open plains. They visited the Grantham Environmental Education facility one evening and are currently just north east of the Embizweni cottage on the 4x4 route.

The lionesses finally moved from the mountainous area of Mountain View after having been resident there for a while. They have been roaming the area around the Doornhoek picnic site for past week.
Megan Taplin

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:14 pm

These photos were taken by Bennie Spies, one of the Karoo Honorary Rangers over the past weekend. These lions were in the dry riverbed near the Doornhoek Picnic Area:

Megan Taplin

o-dog
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by o-dog » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:31 pm

Fantastic,, thanx for sharing :thumbs_up:

I had the pleasure of seeing a female and cub close to the Camp Site end of November last year :P

That was lucky...but my dream is to see them like this :)
Mana Pools: 11th - 20th Oct
KNP: 27th Nov - 5 Dec

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Friedrich von Hörsten » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:00 pm

Hi Megan

Wonderful pics indeed! This lioness looks young -- would she be Megan, the young lioness named after you? She doesn't look old enough to be Kamqua...
Do you have any idea whose cubs these are? Do they belong to both females?

Thanks for sharing!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:18 am

Hi Friedrich,
Yes, the lioness is Megan. The cubs belong to Megan and Kamkwa and the fathers would be Nossob and/or Bitterbal. The cubs were born in the Addo boma and we think there were originally six cubs (although it was difficult to judge in the boma). There is often a high rate of mortality among young cubs and by the time the cubs were moved, there were only four.
The four cubs and two females are always together so we can't really judge which cubs belong to which females.
Megan Taplin

Mav160

Unread post by Mav160 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:40 pm

Hi all

Just got back from an awesome 6 days at Karoo National Park with my family :mrgreen:

Sat morning we went out on a drive in our two vehicles, on driving past the dry riverbed approaching Doornhoek picnic site from the 4x4 route side we found some fresh lion paw prints on the road over the car tire marks...so our excitement was high...the spoor was heading towards the picnic site so we followed...eventually arriving at the picnic site where we all debunked for the obligatory break and leg stretch :)

On leaving we found this little print a few metre's from the gate....putting big :D on our faces.

So off we went heading away from the picnic site towards the escarpment...7 sets of eyes eagerly searching the bush for these elusive lions....but no luck..on reaching the beginning of the climb out of the valley we decided to turn around and head back towards the picnic site, our reasoning being they had to be between the picnic site and the escarpment :)

10 mins later I rounded a bend and bingo there were Megan and Kamkwa and their 4 cubs crossing the road... we spent almost 40 mins watching them, before they settled in the bush, we took 100's of awesome pics...by the way we found them just before 11am.. Here are a few of the pics that i took.

Enjoy

Regards

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Wed May 04, 2011 11:35 am

Latest lion update:

The lionesses and cubs are at the top of the Klipspringer Pass road. The male lions have moved to the Mountainview area (inaccessible by tourist roads) after spending a long period around the Nuweveld and Afsaal 4x4 trails.
Megan Taplin

Div

Unread post by Div » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:51 pm

We visited the park in July,unfortunately did not see the lions .They were in the area accessible only by 4x4 which were closed at the time.Any news on their whereabouts?

DASSIEDELIGHT

Unread post by DASSIEDELIGHT » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:05 pm

What lions??!!??

SO and I were in Karoo NP last week. This was our 2nd visit but 1st since intro of lions. We were pleased to see that the new electric fences do not really detract from the spectacular scenery and great camp. We had wondered how they would manage access to the bird hide but have solved it by making a small parking area on that side of the road and a fenced walkway. We had great views at the hide of the weavers building their nests with the males fluttering their wings to attract the females. There were some lovely Red Bishops half moulting into their plumage. We even had BB jackal come down to drink.

The park offered us gemsbok, kudu, mountain zebra, quagga, springbok and klipspringers plus on our last morning a pair of Black Eagles soaring above the parking area. We hadn't expected to see the lions and did not but there is a good reason to go again another year.

Regards,

DASSIEDELIGHT.
-------------
TR: PF & DDs Game of patience in KTP - Oct/Nov 2013
--------------
KNP SEPTEMBER '14
----------------
CAPE TOWN / WCNP / WILDERNESS APRIL '15
----------------
KNP 2016 SEPT:
Berg-en-dal
Skukuza
Letaba
Shimuwini
Satara
Croc Bridge

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:12 pm

The Snr Section Ranger at Karoo reports the following on the lions' movements:

The female lions and sub-adults moved into the far western section of the park for a few days this past month (September). This was the first time after the release that they moved so far west. They are however back in the central section and often move into the Doornhoek area. The two females and four sub-adults are doing fine and they were encountered by rangers this past week. All six lions in this group are in excellent condition and well fed. The lions tend to walk along roads and dry river beds, making the possibility to spot them along the roads easier, but more difficult when they walk along the dry riverbeds and drainage lines.

The two males patrol the entire park and sometimes walk up to 20 km a night and can be expected to be seen anywhere in the park. A beautiful sighting was reported recently by visitors and rangers along the Nuweveld route and both adult males are also in good condition. The most sought after prey species of the lions seems to be the gemsbok. Other species targeted this past few months were red hartebeest, kudu and eland.
Megan Taplin

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:21 pm

Here are some photos of the two Kings of the Karoo, Nossob & Bitterbal, taken by Piet Heymans (Dankie, Oom Piet) at the end of August...Magnificent, aren't they?!

Megan Taplin

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:39 pm

DinkyBird wrote:Wow, they are amazing!

Are they easily spotted Megan, or do they keep away from the tourist roads? We are heading to Karoo in a few weeks time, it would be such a treat to see them.

Best would be to check at reception when you get there for the most recent sightings. The males move over great distances so they could be spotted anywhere. Have a look at the snr section ranger's info above too.
Megan Taplin

Return to “Frontier Parks”