Skip to Content

Video Cameras

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
Winny
Location: Wherever I lay my hat, that's my bush camp luxury safari tent.

Unread post by Winny » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:04 pm

I try to take video and photos of everything, as well as remembering to put it all down and just enjoy the moment as well.

The video has proven invaluable for bringing the sounds of the bush home, for capturing perfectly a leopard walking down the road on a night drive - even trying to find a decent still shot from the video to print for a photo album proved impossible as at no point was more than a third of the cat lit, but the moving sequence is great.

I spend a lot of time editing video on my computer and produce dvds with soundtracks. Fiddling the sound is easy - if the natural sound is spoiled by traffic or inappropriate conversation, then adding music, or cutting and pasting in the sounds of the bush from another scene often solves the problem. I splice in my best photos.
--Winny

carolynn

Video camera

Unread post by carolynn » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:49 am

Sony Handycam DVD 610 - R2 899.00. 40X optical zoom, Zeiss lens. Good buy or not? How reliable are these videos where you record straight onto a dvd? Any other suggestions for something under R5 000.00? Any help would be most appreciated.
Live each day as if it's your last... and one day you'll be right!

Nyamandlovu

Re: Video camera

Unread post by Nyamandlovu » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:41 pm

Hi carolynn

I am no expert, but will offer my advice.

I checked out a review of that camcorder here.

Things to keep in mind:
1) 40X optical zoom - Good, should cover you for most, if not all, situations. Digital zoom is useless, so don't even worry about that.

2) Sony get their lenses from Carl Zeiss - always a good choice. I have a Sony digital camera and it is awesome, mainly I believe due to the quality of the lens.

3) Recording to DVD is good, granted you dont lose/scratch the DVD! However, I see this model also can record to a memory stick as well. Given that the cost of large capacity memory sticks is dropping, this may turn out to be a very handy feature. Safer than DVD, but DVD is still good.

All in all a good buy I think. My best advice to is to go to the shop and try it. Does it fit in your hand snugly? Do you find the button layout to your liking? At the end of the day most recent model one-chip camcorders will give similar results for the non-professional.

Hope that helps, but maybe more enlightened 'mites can offer better advice (DuQues, Nico... :whistle: :whistle: )
There are hundreds of languages in the world, but a smile speaks them all :D

Proud to be a Batpup and a Stiffneck!

Golden Gate: 12-14 Sep 09 ... Addo: 16-18 Sep 09 ...
Oh Shucks! Here comes N.Y.A.M!

Viv

Re: Video Cameras

Unread post by Viv » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:50 pm

Hi
I'am thinking of replacing my camcorder(SONY DCR-PC-350-E) by a new HD one. I've been very satisfied with this camcorder so far, easy to use, not heavy, excellent video quality etc...
I would just like to have some feedback on your experiences with camcorders, as I read a lot of good reviews on Panasonic HDC-TM300 ?
I will be travelling to Kruger next september, and I would like to purchase awhile before going, so I can get used to the new camcorder.
Hoping some of you will make me wiser in my choice....

Thanks
Viv

Gunner
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Location: South Africa, Mpumalanga, Middelburg....289km from KNP!!!

Which Sony Video Camera?

Unread post by Gunner » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:20 pm

Hi guys! :D

Need abit of help here! :hmz:

Can anybody give advice on which is the better video camera to go for? :hmz:

They are both very similar in price, but one is a HD camera and the other has a mammoth 80gig onboard hard drive!

Put me out of my misery please! :pray:

What would you opt for? :huh:

HDR-CX110- 1031402 ( HD camera)
http://www.hificorporation.co.za/produc ... .large.jpg

&

DCR- 568- 1032251 (has a 80 gig hard drive)
http://www.hificorporation.co.za/produc ... .large.jpg

Thanks in advance! :thumbs_up:

michel367

Re: Which Sony Video Camera?

Unread post by michel367 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:29 pm

Hey bud,

I would not go for the Sony, but that is a personal preference.
If you take a shot from left to right, most of them have a short lapse in adjusting their focus.
it got better as the years gone by, but it is still there and I do not like that.
For the rest. No idea. :thumbs_up:

michel367

Unread post by michel367 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:06 pm

I would have a look at Canon or Panasonic, but like I said. I is a personal preference and not based on a technical preference. :thumbs_up:

RUMURUTI
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RUMURUTI » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:15 pm

Hi Gunner,
:hmz: Take into consideration other brands. I bought a HD Sony last year and found colour was lousy. Parked it in my draw and continue using my old Hitachi.

Try any cam before buying and check on focus speed and quality of colour.
"You can leave Africa but Africa never leaves you"
LIFE IS MADE OF GOOD AND BAD THINGS, I TAKE THE GOOD AND YOU CAN KEEP THE BAD!!!
Andy Benaglia

Klystron
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Klystron » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:49 pm

Hi Gunner
I have had a Sony for many years, two in actual fact as my first was stolen and replaced with a newer model at 2/3 rds of the price of the first. Both of these used tape. I have now bought a Panasonic Full HD to use as my main video camera and it uses a SD Ram card. My first concern was the amount of recoding that would fit on even a 16Gb card but it is not a problem due to it using a Panasonic version of MPeg4. The resolution is 1960 x something which gives excellent quality. It also looks similar to the type used by Broadcasters and sits on my shoulder for much greater stability than a hand held.

Hope this helps.

badprop_za

New Camera or video camera

Unread post by badprop_za » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:46 pm

Afternoon to all. I currently have a Nikon D3000 and is very happy with it. My son was born a couple of months ago. Now I want a video camera to capture those special moments. I am looking for advice with regards to either sell my D3000 and buy a camera with video capabilities, or should I just buy a video camera?

Any advice will be great.
Why do time fly when you are having fun?

KNP - May'14 done and dusted :cry:

KNP - 14 Aug'15 to 21 Aug'15 :dance:

EOS_User

Re: New Camera or video camera

Unread post by EOS_User » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:00 pm

Hi Badprop;

On the face of things, a DSLR upgrade with full 1080p HD video is the way to go. You have the best of both worlds; a regular DSLR and a great video-tool that can utilise the full breadth of interchangeable lenses and DSLR settings.

I don't know about Nikon, but certainly there are now professionals shooting full commercial movies with Canon DSLRs...

However, budget is clearly a factor! I don't know how much you might be able to sell your D3000 for, but I guess a new D5100 will set you back c. SAR 7,000 while a small, but reasonably decent, camcorder will only cost you c. SAR 1,500...

Good luck whatever you opt for; and take lots of photos of your son. They grow up all too quickly!

RUMURUTI
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RUMURUTI » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:06 pm

Hi Badprop, I've been taking great videos with my two Nikon D90's and have actually ended up giving away my Sony Camcorder. Quality is by far better and on top you use your normal lenses.
"You can leave Africa but Africa never leaves you"
LIFE IS MADE OF GOOD AND BAD THINGS, I TAKE THE GOOD AND YOU CAN KEEP THE BAD!!!
Andy Benaglia

JDW

Unread post by JDW » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:47 am

Badprop
The Nikon D7000 is absolutely fantastic for both stills and video.
It performs very well in low light.
Not cheap
Regards
JDW
2015 - Jun/Jul - Scotland
2015 - Sep - North Wales
2016 - South Africa/USA/Canada?

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:51 am

Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

eetamagog

Unread post by eetamagog » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:26 am

Sony A77, it is a24mpix DSLR , with video HD and it is AUtofocus.

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”