Skip to Content

Reservation questions/advice

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.
AFRICAT
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: PREPAID ON LINE RESERVATION

Unread post by AFRICAT » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:36 pm

Not sure where to post this, so move as applicable, dearly beloved Mods. (Sounds tongue-in-cheek, but is absolutely sincere!)

Now it's my turn to puzzle over this. I emailed SanParks reservations, as I always have, requesting my accommodations. They neglected to book the last 3 days...I asked why, and they said "that's all that's available", though the "Check Avail." showed 2 units still avail. (50%, as it's a Wilderness Camp). I communicated this to them, but they booked me into another camp I didn't want.

In exasperation, I went online myself and booked the camp, no problem. I had to pay more (2100R versus 1960R for the same unit that they had booked as we will stay at the same camp twice), and also have a "No Cancellation" penalty...this is ridiculous. The unit was avail., but I had to book it myself and pay in full, and have no refund options to boot!

I replied that they should cancel the booking they made for the camp I didn't want, as I had booked it myself, and asked for an explanation as to why this occurred...I received nothing but a copy of the cancelled booking...no explanation whatsoever. What are my options, and why did this happen? Who should I contact, or is this just my tough luck?

Over the years, they have been FABULOUS, so I'm unsure where the error occurred. Thanks for any help or contact numbers that may be able to straighten this out.

LionWhisperer

How do you book accommodation online?

Unread post by LionWhisperer » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:41 pm

Hi there guys. Please help. I am trying to book for Addo online. I have always booked for Sanparks Via Sanparks Desks.

I have registered for online booking, I am signed in, I have chosen my accommodation and then nothing. I cannot pay, or confirm the booking.

When I signed up for the online Service, the terms say that when booking online you have to pay for your booking in full.

I have now made my choice, from the available accommodation, but there is no place to click to pay for the booking. I just cannot find how to go to the next step. Why is the next step not clearly indicated like when renting a car online, or buying flight tickets.

The are 2 feedback icons at the bottom of the screen asking if the process is easy.
I clicked on "No" twice, which then takes you to a space where you can give feedback. When I have written my reason for clicking "no" and Click the "Submit" icon, a big bold message appears informing me that "the recipient mailbox does not exsist

Ok, found it while typing this message and moving between screens.
So this will just be a feedback message then to Sanparks. Please pass this on to the correct person Megan, as the feedback icon on that page does not work.
I am at my wits end trying to do this.
Please help

oddesy
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: How the Hell do you book accommodation online?

Unread post by oddesy » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:48 pm

Lionwhisperer, where you able to find a link at the top of the page, just above the accomodation booking area with dates where it says "review your basket" ? If you click that a new pop-up will open where you have the option to "checkout" and can then finalise after clicking that?
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

LionWhisperer

Unread post by LionWhisperer » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:47 am

Hi there Oddesy
Thank you for the help. I think that the problem must have been a bug on the system on Saturday. When I clicked on "checkout" the pop up disappeared but we did not go through to the nest screen for payment. As I also said, when the popup to give feedback came up and I clicked send, an error message came up.

Eventually after the 9th attempt it went through to the payment screen and I was able to pay.

Thanks for the help. i still feel that the system is not user friendly compared to booking anything else like Hotel accommodation, rental cars or flight tickets.

I'll see you guys at Addo in a few days
Can't wait.

SANParks
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PREPAID ON LINE RESERVATION

Unread post by SANParks » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:05 pm

Dear AFRICAT,

I believe Hesther van den Berg already helped you sort this out...

Best wishes,
Nedret Saidova
Senior Manager: E-Business, SANParks

mikef

Re: Is it fair?

Unread post by mikef » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:47 pm

SANParks wrote:Dear forumites,

At this stage the online booking system is not intended to meet all requirements, but to serve as a convenient tool for those who know what they want - and want it now - even when doing booking amendments. :)

If you need to book accommodation that is not perfectly suitable for you, please do your booking telephonically and communicate with call centre with any changes you might wish to make.

Just another request to find out what progress has been made in finalising the online booking system.

Unless I am very mistaken the current terms also fall foul of the Consumer Protection Act and hopefully Sanparks fixes these rather than discontinuing online bookings

Tembe & Kgala

Re: Bookings - advice/feedback

Unread post by Tembe & Kgala » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:33 am

I agree... the system is mainly messed up with alternative booking methods , where people don't have to pay in full on reservation
I am myself in trouble right now because they don't process an amendment properly. Is it my fault if I have to change my itinerary because units that weren't available are suddenly released... due to cancellations?
Let me give you an example.
I plan to stay in Biyamiti for 3 nights. June 1/2/3 June 2nd is fully booked. So, i take biyamiti on 1st and 3rd; , and I chose another camp (BND) for the night inbetween.
Then , "out of the blue" , a cottage is released on june the 2nd. Of course , i want to get it , and ask for an amendment.. don't you thnik it's normal? do you think I'm the one messing the system up? :wall:

Tembe & Kgala

Unread post by Tembe & Kgala » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:59 am

... and by the way , if someone has a different email address than "reservations@sanparks.org" or "webreservations@sanparks.org", to communicate , don't hesitate , because i'm trying to have my booking amended for days.. and nothing is processed correctly so far (ps : phoning from europe with my cellphone is not an option ;-)

tletter

Unread post by tletter » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:55 am

I am surprised and disappointed by the difficulty in trying to get an amendment to a reservation that was made via the web. Emails to "reservations@sanparks.org" do not get a response. It seems as if because they have your money, they don’t much care :(

A little customer service would help make a more positive experience for SANParks’ clients who make web reservations as after all they have our money.

JenB
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.

Unread post by JenB » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:17 am

Tembe & Kgala and tletter, PM's sent. :wink:
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

Tembe & Kgala

Unread post by Tembe & Kgala » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:59 am

@tletter : exactly the same problem.. And the time they would answer, the unit I wanted was gone.. (and I mean several days of course) and then they answer "sorry the unit is not available".. Yeah I know , but it was for the past 5 days... :wall:

@Jen , thanks ;-)

SANParks
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SANParks » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:10 pm

Hi LionWhisperer,

Sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience with our booking system. :(

This is a work in progress for us and perfection is nowhere in sight.

Connectivity issues also do happen... Reservation system in Africa, Web server in the US, You - somewhere else in the world - no guarantees for success at all times.

I admire your patience (trying 9 times is heroic), but if it happens again, please rather try a few hours later, or write to reservations@sanparks.org and they will secure your booking. You don't have to struggle.

Best wishes,
Nedret Saidova
Senior Manager: E-Business, SANParks

tletter

Unread post by tletter » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:18 pm

JenB wrote:Tembe & Kgala and tletter, PM's sent.

@Jen thanks but I received an out-of-office reply :cry:

Anyhow...

Last Thursday I sent an email to an individual at SANparks to amend my reservation to two night at Pretoriuskop. I checked availability on 25 and 26 July at Pretoriuskop before sending my mail. After not hearing back for a week I followed up with an email to "reservations@sanparks.org" but nothing was heard back :(

Unfortunately I did not receive anything back until today when I got the following reply:

"Dear Sir/Madam: We are fully booked for the 26th at Pretoriuskop."

Of course it is not surprising that after a week's delay in processing, the availability situation has changed :roll:

Even my request for the 25th which has availability was not processed. So I guess we won't be staying at Pretoriuskop :x

In short it is hard to effectively make amendments to fully paid reservations when it takes a week to get a response. Too bad one cannot make changes via the web even it includes a small change fee.

The difficultly in making a simple amendment is impressive to say the least :wall:

Joep Stevens
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Joep Stevens » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:59 pm

Dear All,

Many thanks for the input from everybody and there are obviously many views on the conditions applicable to online bookings. Indeed, due to high demand for our accommodation, especially in peak periods, SANParks have set strict rules specifically for our online reservations to prevent abuse by guests or agents “hoarding” accommodation and camping they do not necessarily intend taking up. We believe that our reservation staff are equipped with the tools and skills to minimize this risk through the more “traditional” booking channels. An alternative to cancelling any reservation, whether made online or through any of the other channels, has always been to amend the reservation to a later date (subject to availability) and for the same or higher reservation value and since September 2010 this functionality has also been made available in our online reservations module. In as far as the Consumer Protection Act is concerned; SANParks is in the process of reviewing all business rules, and not only for our web reservations facility, to ensure compliance to the Act in letter and spirit by the time it becomes effective.

With kind regards.

JOEP STEVENS
General Manager: Tourism Operations

granjan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by granjan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:24 pm

I for one am much in favour of Sanparks doing everything possible to prevent commercial enterprises booking large amounts of accommodation without having to pay full price with no refund.
I understand the language problem for none English speakers but otherwise I find booking by phone from the UK quick and efficient, and risking losing deposit only until a month before travel acceptable.The cost of the phone call is negligeable as compared to holidaying in KNP from overseas.

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”