Skip to Content

Mountain Zebra National Park Activities Sightings

Addo, Camdeboo, Karoo, Mountain Zebra
Lionspoon
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Mountain Zebra National Park Activities Sightings

Unread post by Lionspoon » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:59 pm

What an impressive list of great sightings. And I'm not only talking about the cheetahs. Aardwolf, aardvark, porcupine and all the antelopes I've yet to see. :mrgreen:
I'm with saraf
you've convinced me. 2012 and I'm there.
:thumbs_up:
Summer 2014 - Oz! It was awesome!

wildflowergirl
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildflowergirl » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:45 pm

definitely must make a plan to explore this gem of a park. those earthworms are humongous, i think they must be called earth-snakes :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
You might get me out of the bush, but you won't get the bush out of me, it's deep in my heart

Melanie Hempson

Unread post by Melanie Hempson » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:00 am

What MZNP has to offer is amazing but patience is the key in this park because the animals are a bit more skittish and shy than in other parks. The surroundings are incredibly beautiful and we found the Ubejane Loop so productive. In Dec 2008 we saw a rhino cow and calf heart-stoppingly close :o , eland, gemsbok, steenbok, zebras, ostriches, monkeys, meerkatte, red Hartebeest and a mass of springbok "pronking" at dusk, against the sunset that only the Karoo can deliver! On the Rooiplaat Loop we saw blesbok, springbok, wildebeest, zebra's rolling in a pan of dust and a pair of Blue Crane parents walking in the veld with a juvenile following them! On the way down from Rooiplaat we saw a troop of baboons scattered about on the huge rocks below the road, with individuals grooming each other! This all in a short day visit. Must add that the staff have always been friendly and so welcoming over many, many years of visiting there with family who reside in Cradock. :thumbs_up:

Michael, hope you are enjoying your time there. It is a very special place! :D

M.Paxton
Guru
Guru

Unread post by M.Paxton » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:43 pm

Greetings All

Hope everyone had a good Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Time for an update on the some of the happenings MZNP. We have been busy with Morning Drives(04:30-06:30 best time of the day), san cave paintings and Evening Drives(18:30-20:30) oh and the 10km hikes(05:30 can take 4+ hours).

Most of the antelope were seen on the drives on a regular basis, the specials once again being the aartwolf, aartvark, porcupine, small spotted genet and bat eared fox.

Some good sightings of bat eared fox with new born pups, they're all ears. I even got a charge from one of the black rhino cows, WOW was that impresive(we were in a vehicle). As per normal no photos.

On one of the 10km trails i did we came across a kudu bull that the cheetah had caught, yes a kudu bull and it was one of two caught that week. I put the camera trap over the kill for a night and day, but only got photos of black-backed jackal. here a photo taken at 04:00 am.

This is our local traffic official.

And one of the buffalo bulls that wonder around

Cheers

M.Paxton
Guru
Guru

Unread post by M.Paxton » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:31 pm

Greetings All

This is a kudu cow caught by a male cheetah called White-eyes. He caught it between 7:00 and 7:45 in the morning. When we got there he was opening the kudu around the tail area. The foto is taken the next day, many jackal and few crows finished it off.

Known as a blue tulip. The park is full of amazing flowers.

Some of the smaller intresting things we see on the walks. Trapdoor spider.

The game drives have been good as normal, but have yet to a antbear/aardvark this year. I have had a couple of good caracal sightings.

The MZNP is green with all the rain we have had and all the animals are fat and healthy.

Cheers

wildflowergirl
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildflowergirl » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:30 am

that is a beautiful flower and the trapdoor spider - interesting things we don't see everyday. :D
You might get me out of the bush, but you won't get the bush out of me, it's deep in my heart

NickyG

Unread post by NickyG » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:54 pm

I was there late last year, and took a night drive. My mate and I were the only ones that booked that evening, so we had to pay for four. I tell you, I would have paid for 16.

It was A W SO M E !

I never saw any aardwolf, having said that, 3 or the 4 visits to MZP previously have resulted in late afternoon aardwolf sightings....

Our guide was a young african lady, who was a student, coincidentally, it was her last day, she was amazing...full of knowledge, e3xcellent sense of humour, and teh drive was like an interactive documentary.

The highlight, beleive it or not, was not the chance to see nocturnal animals, but a group of about 50 buffalo in the dark, the spot light , alighting thier eyes....just as if you were in a Nat Geo documentary, its a life experience.
We did see about 5 Bat eared foxes, a few jackals, Kudu, duikers, porcupine and afew cheetah spoors....
But, its teh buffalo that I will cherish.

We were rewarded with a black rhino, with calf having a brose breakfast the following morning (Cannot reveal where though....too risky, and rhinos are close to my heart)...albeit 150m away.

Then, we bumped into Getwild, and chin wagged for 2 hours.

This is not only a emorable park, but highly educational too, and so strange with teh exfoliated rock formations. Its ancient.....
I urge everyone who loves being outdoors to check this place out, not only for its wildlife, but because its strange allure of surroundings too...who knows...yo umay see teh elusive and maligned brown hyeana!!!

That weekend we saw most animals on offer, with teh exception of teh brown hyeana, klipspringer, and cheetah.
For some reason, we overdosed on Blue Cranes (a dozen or so), and a martial eagle perched next to the dam near teh guesthouse, and a perigrine falcon.......
:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
If you think I am stupid....you should see who hired me......:)

bushbaby79

Unread post by bushbaby79 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:27 pm

Just spent the long weekend at MZNP - loved it! What a totally different place compared to our Dec visit.
Got lucky and had an incredible sighting of a cheetah- we watched her for nearly 40 min after she past right in front of our car. Didnt see aardvolf or bat eared fox but we will be back soon enough!!
I really enjoyed the drive with Mike, thank you - very informative and funny.

ecape

Unread post by ecape » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:59 pm

We have just come back from 4 days at MZNP (my first) and had a wonderful time. Never really been on the SANParks website so decided to register today (this is actually my first post).

Saw a wonderful 'first'. Four Aardwolf’s on our first day. Two of them in the middle of the day.

Went on a on a night drive with Michael and was great fun. We didn’t see much (porcupine, steenbok and the usual) but he was very informative and we learned a lot. Thanks Mike!

Unfortunately we didn’t see any cheetah or rhino, although we did follow the rhino tracks for a while on the night drive. We will definitely be back at MZNP soon and hope to try out the new cheetah tracking walk.

On our drive back to P.E. we suffered from SANParks withdrawal, so we decided to donate our conservation fee to the animals and do a drive through Addo. It didn’t seem to pay off when the rain came down and the animals went into hiding. But just as things seemed lost, a wonderful sighting of a caracal (rooikat) hunting.

All in all we saw Kudu, Gemsbok, Black Wildebeest, Ground Squirrel, Vervet Monkey, Common Duiker, Blue Crane, Red Hartebeest, Steenbok, Grey Rhebok, Mountain, Reedbuck, Blesbok, Cape Buffalo, Cape Mountain Zebra, Rock Dassie, Ostrich, Secretary Bird, Scrub Hare, Blackbacked Jackal, Eland, Springbok, Chacma Baboon, Pale Chanting Goshhawk, Yellow Mongoose, Porcupine and Aardwolf. At Addo; Elephant, Rooikat and a big herd of nearly 100 buffalo deep into the new south section, close to the Vukani Loop.

All in all another wonderful SANParks holiday!

P.S. I have some photos I would like to put up but not sure how? I have loaded them onto Photobucket but don't know what to do next. HELP PLEASE!
"I just wish the world was twice as big and half of it was still unexplored."
David Attenborough

M.Paxton
Guru
Guru

Unread post by M.Paxton » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:16 pm

Greetings All

Long since i've posted but i've been honeymooning.

The Park is still in good condition, although the park is starting to dry out. The animals are still fat and the start of the breeding season is starting so all the dominant males are struting around showing there stuff.
The seasons are changing. The mornings and evenings are alot colder, the locals say this is going to be a cold winter.

The drives are good as long as the weather plays along. On a good night we see most game, including aardwolf, porcupine, springhare, caracal, striped polcat( first for me), no aardvark yet, bat-eared( first time in two months) and all the general suspects.

Will put some photos up in days to come.

Bartman

Unread post by Bartman » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:28 pm

M.Paxton wrote:The seasons are changing. The mornings and evenings are alot colder, the locals say this is going to be a cold winter.

We have just enjoyed the Easter weekend camping at MZNP and cold it was. Friday night dropped to below zero as evidence of the ice covered trailer and frost on the grass. It would have been our 1st night camping to be so cold!!

We were very fortunate to watch a cheetah take down a springbok on the rooiplaat loop on Sat. :D

It was so unexpected as he/she shot out of the long grass at full speed and crossed the road just in front of us and proceeded to chase the sprinbok back across the road. It was such a special sighting. Unfortuantely no pics of the actual kill but have a few of the cheetah afterwards.
3 & 4 July Maroela
5, 6 & 7 July - Letaba
8-15 July Skukuza

Camping with a Metalian Maxi

Morkel777
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Morkel777 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:47 pm

Bartman - can't believe your luck! We also spent a few days there, but left on Saturday morning. Spent a lot of time on Rooiplaat looking for the cheetahs, but no luck.

Had 2 separate sightings of Aardwolf crossing the road! One when we entered the Park on Thursday, and one on Rooiplaat loop on Friday close to the windmill.

Nice bird sightings of secretary birds and goshawks on Saturday too. Otherwise plenty of buffalo, zebra, springbok, blesbuck, black wildebeest and the likes...
Planning the next trip already...

Bartman

Unread post by Bartman » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:15 pm

Hi All

Here are a few pics of our cheetah sighting and others. The last pic is of what we think was a Brown Hyena. The pic is very unclear but thats the best we could get. Would anybody be able to determine from the shape of its body if it was?

Apart from these we saw quite a few buffalo, blue crane, secretary birds, pale chanting goshawk and the usual others.

Cheetah kill

Aardwolf

Rainbow

Rock Monitor Lizzard

Not sure but think it was a Brown Hyena... its head was on the left of this pic. Can anyone help from the shape of its body?

Regards
Ross
3 & 4 July Maroela
5, 6 & 7 July - Letaba
8-15 July Skukuza

Camping with a Metalian Maxi

M.Paxton
Guru
Guru

Unread post by M.Paxton » Mon May 09, 2011 8:21 pm

Greetings All

An excitining couple weeks that have pasted.
We have launched a cheetah tracking activity, when all is working in our favour we have huge success.

The game viewing in terms of the nocturnal creatures is improving daily. The grass is shortning so visability is much better.

We have also had our first snow, not the stuff you see on disney world, but snow.
The small white thing is snow.

On one of the warmer days one of these chaps showed himself.

Since i have been in MZNP i have yet to see a Brown Hyena, the closest i have come is spoor. This
is the left front spoor of a brown hyena.

The we found a buffalo that had been killed in a fight with another buffalo. it had a puncture wound
just behind its right shoulder. I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to use the camera trap.
Between hundreds of jackal pics i got one of a brown hyena.

Cheers for now

lyallj

Unread post by lyallj » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:39 pm

we spent 2 wonderful days in the park at the end of June.

we were so lucky to see cheetah the first day she was just lying there looking over her land then we went back the afternoon to see if we could find her again on the way we were able to give my mother a wonderful present the first sighting of an aardwolf in the last 50 odd years that she has been going to our national parks.

then we saw her again and this time she came closer to the car and then came and lay under the tree, what an experience and did my 7 year old ejoy that.

on our way out we saw a characol another thing mom had not seen in the wild and then the most amazing experience we were accompanied to the gate with the most beautiful male cheetah wow all I can say is the MZNP is amazing and will definetly see me again.

Return to “Frontier Parks”