Skip to Content

Macro Photography

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
kesheshe
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Macro Photography

Unread post by kesheshe » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:51 pm

thanks for the advise. Normally shoot A priority and white balance / shutter auto. Is that a good starting position. Regarding the twin flash will just need to practice and see what the results give me. i assume manual focus should also be the starting point?

In the richterveld i should have the opportunity to take time with setup and use tripod in KTP will just have to practice hand held most of the time.

Shutter release cable i assume will help with stationary things like flowers , plants etc. Would you recommend?
2011 September KTP - 17 days

I am against hotels in KNP

Raptor142

Unread post by Raptor142 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:01 pm

Anything that gets your shot better clarity is worth a try

When you have the time, use the tripod and remote shutter release, but don't be afraid to get down and dirty and zap a quick shot at a centipede or some ants defending their domain.

I use auto focus generally but, manual focus is perfect for the tripod shot (or something like Caracal's Carpenter Bee) or if you want something special that the microprocessor in the camera can't grasp.
Man's future may look brighter if he spent less time trying to outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority:(EB White)(adapted)

We don't inherit the earth from our parents - we borrow it from our children and theirs

oddesy
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by oddesy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:15 pm

Has anyone had a look at the tamron SP 90mm f2.8 ?? I have heard some pretty good things about it and have been looking at it for a while now
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:21 pm

Wow guys amazing stuff!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Not sure whether this is the right place to post this, but you all seem so knowledgable. I'm afraid that I'm new to photography period!!!! I only became interested after joining this forum.

I know it will take for ever to take pictures like these, but it gives me something to aspire to.

I have just bought a camera for my next KNP trip in December.
It is a Fuji HS10, which I gather is a bridge camera - better than a compact but nowhere near as good as a DSLR. If I ever get the hang of it I can pass it on to one of my kids and invest in a DSLR.

It says the HS10 has a 30x zoom, so do you think I will be able to get some OK close up shots? (That is, once I've worked how which buttons to press etc.

Would be grateful for some feed back.
Thanks.

Raptor142

Unread post by Raptor142 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:02 pm

I always look at other peoples equipment and marvel at the wide variety of equipment and special features that is available.

You have an extremely capable "bridging" camera and a lens that runs from equivalent 24-720mm - that really is impressive.

As a family we still have 2 Fuji cameras in regular use and they are responsible for some very good and high quality images, so don't for a moment think that you are inferior to anyone else. And you will find that with a little bit of interest and time, you will be able to post photo's that will make us all jealous.

Your macro function will allow zoom and will then focus at a minimum of 2m.

Your super macro function will not allow zoom (it will only shoot at widest zoom) and will focus anything from 1cm to 1m that should give you a lot of good results, but (as mentioned elsewhere) insects don't take kindly to having a lens thrust at their compound eyes, so you might have to experiment as to which mode suits which situation ..... isn't that the fun of it ...?
Man's future may look brighter if he spent less time trying to outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority:(EB White)(adapted)

We don't inherit the earth from our parents - we borrow it from our children and theirs

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:13 pm

Thanks so much raptor, that is very heartening. :cam:

So looking forward to getting familiar with it, and then can't wait to let it loose in KNP!!! :dance:

Raptor142

Unread post by Raptor142 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:00 pm

I haven't really been on the photographic forums a lot recently so I'm not sure how you're going with your new Fuji .....

I knew I had this somewhere on the harddrive - This was taken with the Fuji S5700 on macro .... handheld, poor light, and whatever other excuses .... and I thought it was fairly respectable. Your HS10 should be able to capture great images...

DSCF3332C by Raptor142, on Flickr

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:07 pm

Wow Raptor142, if I ever get to produce anything like that.....................!!!!
Wonderful shot. :thumbs_up:

Raptor142

Unread post by Raptor142 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:16 pm

I look forward to seeing yours ....

Raptor142

Unread post by Raptor142 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:23 pm

:redface: :redface: SO reading on laptop, suggests I rephrase that ....

..... I'm sure I speak for most of us when I say that we ALL look forward to seeing your photographs.....!! :thumbs_up:

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:37 pm

Cheers!!!
Your SO has a sense of humour!!!

My SO and I migrate south next week from the UK, for our usual 6 months in Port Edward KZN. I plan to start practising on the resident birds and flowers in our garden, and work up to our visit to KNP in December!!!

Will definitely show you mine, if they come out ok!!! :whistle: :whistle:

RUMURUTI
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RUMURUTI » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:50 pm

Evening all!
Seems we have a small invasion of locust! Found 4 of them among my plants this evening.
"You can leave Africa but Africa never leaves you"
LIFE IS MADE OF GOOD AND BAD THINGS, I TAKE THE GOOD AND YOU CAN KEEP THE BAD!!!
Andy Benaglia

Caracal
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Caracal » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:32 pm

Great photo of the waterlily Raptor142 :thumbs_up: and Rumuruti.... a great photo of a horrible creature.... :shock:

Raptor142

Unread post by Raptor142 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:28 pm

Caracal wrote:Great photo of the waterlily Raptor142 :thumbs_up:

Much appreciated from the upper echelon .... thanks

Caracal wrote:and Rumuruti.... a great photo of a horrible creature.... :shock:

...and that's why we love spiders :twisted:

Raptor142

Unread post by Raptor142 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:43 pm

@Rumuruti - did you ever try the Sigma 150mm Macro before you got your Nikon 105mm. I have looked at the MTF graphs of both, and the Sigma appears to have an edge ... particularly in the finer detail curve ....? and has a slightly greater working distance too...

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”