Skip to Content

Kgalagadi: best bungalow locations...

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld
Jo
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Kgalagadi: best bungalow locations...

Unread post by Jo » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:34 am

Cheetahlady

Welcome!

The guest houses are great, a tad smarter and a great location! If they are not available, on our 1st trip to the park we stayed in the chalets numbered 10a,b,c and one of them is a 3 sleeper, and the others 2 sleepers, if I remember correctly. They all share a common wall, which might help you guys.

Enjoy your trip!

ROOKIE-LR

Kgalagadi - Shade in the rest camp sites?

Unread post by ROOKIE-LR » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:03 pm

Hello all.

My first post and apologies if this has been asked before.

I am a complete noob to exploring my own country and am making my first trip to the Kgalagadi in March of this year, staying 2 nights in Twee Rivieren, 2 nights in Nossob, 1 night in Bitter pan and Mata Mata, then back to Twee Rivieren. I will be camping in the main rest camps due to my rather late booking.

My question relates to shade in the camp sites.

My understanding is that it is very warm this time of year in the Kgalagadi, and escaping the sun if you are in camp during the day is going to be a necessity. Do the camps have a shade shelter of sorts or should I bring along awnings etc?

Any advice from the more experienced visitors will be most appreciated.

Paul
Paul.

p@m
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Kgalagadi - Shade in the rest camp sites?

Unread post by p@m » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:39 pm

Hello ROOKIE-LR and welcome to the madhouse :thumbs_up: Beware of addiction :D

We are not campers and I'm sure the experienced ones will be along to answer you shortly.

However, there are camp-sites with shady trees in all 3 main camps, but I imagine it will depend on how busy the park is if there is one to spare.

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:45 pm

Hi Rookie-LR,

There are lots of trees at all the camps, but some of the best spots at Nossob do not have a power point. If its not too busy you might be lucky to get some shade. Just a question on your camping equipment. Will you be towing a trailer? No trailers are allowed on the Bitterpan road, which means if you do tow you need to return to Nossob to collect the trailer.

On Google you will find a 360deg pic of Nossob camp. Its great to explore if its your first time visiting. My favourite spot are the camp sites opposite the kitchen area. Very nice shade and in Dec we did not even open the awnings around the off-road caravan. :thumbs_up:
Trip Reports - Painted, spotted and striped animals of the Koppies, TT of Three Arid Parks near Namibia in April 2015

ruthp

Unread post by ruthp » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:56 pm

Beware though of those sites opposite the kitchen area - on the "electric plugs" side - they become lakes if it happens to rain :big_eyes: :tongue: You should be able to find somewhere shady unless the camp is absolutely full - if you have the space I would recommend an awning of some kind as it could come in useful for extra shade or shelter if it rains - I'm sure you'll have great time :) :thumbs_up:

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:09 pm

ruthp wrote:Beware though of those sites opposite the kitchen area - on the "electric plugs" side - they become lakes if it happens to rain :big_eyes: :tongue: You should be able to find somewhere shady unless the camp is absolutely full - if you have the space I would recommend an awning of some kind as it could come in useful for extra shade or shelter if it rains - I'm sure you'll have great time :) :thumbs_up:

Hi Ruthp that's true. We experienced a few thunderstorms at Nossob in Dec and the one point of the camp site was covered under water about 30 cm deep. The tent even moved a 1/2 meter. :shock: , but luckily it does not rain that much in March. KTP already had more than its usually quota of rain in Dec en Jan so one never knows what will happen.
Trip Reports - Painted, spotted and striped animals of the Koppies, TT of Three Arid Parks near Namibia in April 2015

ROOKIE-LR

Unread post by ROOKIE-LR » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:32 pm

Another question.

I booked using the SANPARKS website. How do you know what site you have been aloocated or is that a misnomer, and people arrive and take what they can get?
Paul.

Scouter
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Scouter » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:02 pm

Hi ROOKIE-LR and a very warm welcome to this addiction that is the Forum :tongue:

We have camped numerous times and as far as I know there are NO pre-allocated sites - its basically arrive.... find a good spot you like ... and pitch your tent :D All the camps have trees but Nossob and Mata Mata have huge lovely camelthorns whereas the trees at TR are a lot smaller and dont give as much shade but TR has quite a few "afdakkies" that are nice to camp under and do give some shade ....

Enjoy your trip and wishing you wonderful sightings - it might be your first trip but I promise you it wont be your last .... its pure magic !!
We can do no great things, only small things with great love. ~Mother Teresa

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:22 pm

ruthp wrote:
Bush Baptist wrote:
Son godin wrote: but luckily it does not rain that much in March.

Who are you kidding. It was still chucking doen in May last year......... :roll:

Yes - we at Nossob at the beginning of May and saw how those poor unsespecting guys on the sites I mentioned struggled - :tongue: :big_eyes: :slap:

When looking at the current rainfall figures for Nossob we are already at 180 mm for the yearly rain season (Dec - April/May?). Average is ~ 200 - 213mm which means according to averages it should not rain than much in March. :whistle: Records can also be set for this year so the best is to be prepared and expect rain for a day or two, but I do not think you will get the same weather pattern as for the Garden Route.

Kgalagadi Guru
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Kgalagadi Guru » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:41 am

Morning,

The 180mm rainfall might be for the whole of the Nossob section measured at different areas in over 200 000 hectares.

Due to the weather patterns which are surely changing and information gathered by the local people we are still expecting much needed rain and it seems that our rains have moved on by a month or so.

Guests can still expect some rain in the next two months.

KG
Head: Field Guiding
Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
jan.kriel@sanparks.org

enrico

Unread post by enrico » Wed May 09, 2012 10:54 am

A question to the powers that be.
Is it still possible to request a specific bungalow at the KTP camps?

The reason for my question is that during Feb/Mar this year on arrival at Kalahari Tented Camp we did not get the tent we had requested.
We got no 8.The one with the tree in front that obscures the waterhole. :wall:
As the camp was fairly empty I enquired about moving and was told by the camp attendant that instructions had been issued that once a tent has been allocated by the computer,this could not be changed.
Fair enough.

After numerous visits to Grootkolk and trying in vain to get No 1,I was overjoyed to be told that the computer had in fact allocated us no 1 for one of our upcoming visits during Oct/Nov 2012.
We would be in no 3 this time round.

I got this info at Nossob reception enroute to Grootkolk during our Feb/Mar 2012 visit.

Will hold thumbs that this is in fact the case. :D

Kgalagadi Guru
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Kgalagadi Guru » Wed May 09, 2012 12:23 pm

Hi there Enrico,

Unfortunately instructions have been given that requested units within the park can't be booked in advanced, as mentioned by other staff the systems allocates units.

Hope it helps.

KG
Head: Field Guiding
Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park
jan.kriel@sanparks.org

Dreamer
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Dreamer » Wed May 09, 2012 9:18 pm

Hi enrico
We visited KTP again in March this year. :hmz: Don't hold your breath about staying in the unit that the computer allocated to you :wall:
We stayed at Urikaruus at the beginning of our trip and then again half way through our trip. On leaving after our first stint we were told that when we next return we will be in unit No 3 as per computer allocation. Great, we were happy :D However, when we returned a week later we were placed in No 4 :hmz: So, sometimes it seems the operators behind the computers make changes. We have learnt that as with everything, things change :whistle: Go along as you would for animal sightings.... with no expectations, you will sure have a great time :thumbs_up:
At home...... dreaming of next trip to KTP

kesheshe
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Advice on 2013 trip required

Unread post by kesheshe » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:00 pm

avon vosloo - thank you your trip report was very informative.

Jonkers - thank you

Regarding the 4x4 track does anyone know what grade these are? in early october i assume not to much rain so hoping they are open.

i am concerned about 4x4 route to Embizweni cottage - will be driving toyota hilux 4x4 with raised OME suspension

Has anyone done a night drive in Karoo and are they always available?
2011 September KTP - 17 days

I am against hotels in KNP

kesheshe
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Advice on 2013 trip required

Unread post by kesheshe » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:07 am

hi

can anyone advise what unit number at mata mata River Front Chalet (RF2) has the best water hole view?

Also Kieliekrankie which unit number is best?
2011 September KTP - 17 days

I am against hotels in KNP

Return to “Arid Parks”