Otter Trail

Knysna, Tsitsikamma, Wilderness
Danie
Guru
Guru

Re: Otter Trail

Unread post by Danie » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:30 pm

Si Mac wrote:Hi
We are hiking the otter trail in January . I have heard many conflicting stories about crossing the bloukrans river mouth. Some people say that taking a survival bag to float your backpack accross is essential , while others say that if you time the tides right you should easily be able to walk accross with your backpack on.
Please could someone help with some advice on what we should be taking with us for this crossing. we will aim to be at the crossing at least an hour before low tide.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Si Mac

Dear Si Mac

I have forwarded your question to my colleagues at Tsitsikamma and include Andre Riley's, (Section Ranger at Tsitsikamma National Park) response herewith:
-------------------------------------------------

Otter Trail:

The crossing of the Bloukrans River on the Otter trail is influenced by three factors; the tide, sea conditions and river flow. All three of these factors could make the crossing difficult. A combination thereof could make it even more difficult. However under normal conditions at low tide the river is easy to cross. I would certainly recommend that you take along a survival bag as one cannot predict the conditions on the day. It is better to have dry cloths on the hike, and secondly it is very dangerous walking across a river with a backpack completely strapped to you back.

As mentioned above, should you cross the river at low tide and the conditions are normal, the crossing might not even require a survival bag. However a survival bag might certainly come in handy on other parts of the trail, especially if it rains.

I trust that you and your party will have an enjoyable hike.

Yours,
André©

André© Riley
Tsitsikamma National Park
P. Bag x 1
Storms River

Tel/Fax: +27 (0)44-5316792

=================================
Regards

Danie Pretorius
Senior Manager: IT Infrastructure
South African National Parks (SANParks)

Danie
Guru
Guru

Re: Otter trail

Unread post by Danie » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:46 am

daisy wrote:Hi,

does the otter trail involve any climbing? Does it require to be footsure (I do not mean uneven terrain, but do not like to walk along narrow paths where I can fall down from). I'd be grateful for information.

Thanks

Your query was forwarded to the Section Ranger: Tsitsikamma National Park (André© Riley) and this is his response (thanks Andre!):
======================
Dear Daisy,

The Otter trail involves an considerable amount of inclines and declines. The trail varies from sea level to ± 190 m above sea level. In most cases the climbs are fairly steep. At places the path does become narrow with fairly steep drop-offs to the one side. However we very seldom experience problems with hikers who experience problems with heights. There are a number of lookout points with sheer 190m drops, but these are off the main hiking route. The walking surface is fairly uneven and there are also a few rivers to cross.

Kind regards

André©

André© Riley
P. Bag x 1
Storms River

=========================
Regards

Danie Pretorius

Danie
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Danie » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:17 am

francoisd wrote:If one decide to stay over at Nature's Valley Restcamp the day you complete the Otter trail, is there any transport available back to the start to collect your vechile?

Answer from André© Riley, Section Ranger: Tsitsikamma National Park:
Dear Hiker,

There is a privately operated shuttle service between Nature's Valley and Storms River mouth restcamp (7 days/week).

Contact details: Hikers Haven +27 (0)44 - 5316805

André© Riley
P. Bag x 1
Storms River
Regards

Danie Pretorius

WILNA

NEED INFO ON OTTERS TRAIL ACCOMADATION WHILE TRAILING PLEASE

Unread post by WILNA » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:20 pm

We are six adults on the trail.

Do you have cabins/huts that sleep six. is there electricity. water?

How much is the rate to share for five days?

Do we move from hut to hut - what's the rate then?

Do we pack own bedding?

Is it like camping but inside a hut?

Thank you.

Looking forward to your reply.

Wild@Heart
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Wild@Heart » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:54 pm

Hi Wilna,

I don't know if you have read this but might be able to help you:

1. Otter Trail
2. Otter Trail 2
3. Tsitsikamma National Park - Otter Trail
NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER

francoisd

Unread post by francoisd » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:06 pm

The Otter trail is a 5 day hiking trail. So you will move from cabin to cabin. The cost to stay over is included in the hiking fee. As with most hiking trails you will have to carry your own food and bedding (normally a sleeping bag). I have not done this trail myself, buth my wife and some of her friends are doing it next week. I do not believe in self-torture so I will not accompany them.

Also read the links W@H posted

If you want to see more photos visit the Footprint hiking club's report on the Otter trail
"The measure of life is not its duration but its donation." - Peter Marshall
www.flickr.com/groups/birdssa

gwendolen

Unread post by gwendolen » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:40 pm

I do not believe in self-torture so I will not accompany them.

:lol: :lol:
Sitting around a warm fire with a glass of wine is exercise enough for me as well.

I found some more info on the otter trail here.

roym

Otter Trail

Unread post by roym » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:00 am

I have been offered an opportunity to join a group on the Otter Trail next week.

The only problem is that I have a knee problem due to an injury, which means I get pain if I do too much climbing. I gather there are a fair number of ups and downs on the trail.

My main concern is that if I find the trail too hard, and am not able to continue (sincerely hoping this won't be the case), is there a way out or will I have to walk either all the way back, or finish it? I don't want to hamper my hiking companions in any way, but also don't want to be stuck in the middle?

If it is possible to get out at the various rest camps, then I will give it a try, and hope the knee guards etc do their trick. Otherwise, I don't know if it's worth taking the chance...

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:40 am

In most cases the climbs are fairly steep.

That does not sound like it should be a great problem, at least if you have stamina. I would advise to at least bring a cane or walking stick (Or two hefty guys to carry you the last bit.)
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Loams
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Loams » Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:56 pm

You can get tidal charts here. Use Knysna it's the closest.

Any hints??? Take warm clothes, it's winter ;-)
Operation "Duke" Member

Being African is not determined by race, but by what's in your heart

Ant Gifford

Transport to/ from Otter Trail

Unread post by Ant Gifford » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:03 am

Can anyone suggest how 6 of us get from PE to the start of the Otter Trail and return afterwards please. This will be in Jan 2006. How far is Tsitsikamma Village Inn from the start of the Otter Trail.
Thanks for any help.

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:48 pm

Have a look here. Don't know if that will help you as from previous discussion on this forum the Baz Bus does not drop you at the camp. I suggest you email the Storms River camp manager - perhaps they can suggest something?
Sawubona
Dalene

DinkyBird

Re: Cape Town - Storms River Camp - Natures Valley - Cape To

Unread post by DinkyBird » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:24 pm

JanMuhl wrote:Howzit?
I will be hiking the trail in January 2006 as well but have a problem regarding the transport from Cape Town to the starting point of the trail and then from Natures Valley back to Cape Town. Has anyone made the same experience and as a good tip for me?

Hi Jan,

Perhaps the Storms River Camp manager will be able to recommend a service you can use. Try emailing him at rassiee@sanparks.org or try this link or here.

DB
Sawubona
Dalene

Bibtrekker

Temp Storage at Storms River Mouth?

Unread post by Bibtrekker » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:56 am

By chance, is there temporary storage (lockers) or will Reception at Storms River Mouth Rest Camp kindly hold items (in a daypack) for us while we are on the Otter Trail?

We've flown in from Australia and have brought our tent, etc, along as we're planning to head to the Drakensberg after the Otter. It would be wonderful if we could pick up the tent after enjoying the Otter - boulder hopping and all!

Thanks very much for your assistance! :)

Bibtrekker

BunduBoi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by BunduBoi » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:12 pm

LISTEN EVERYONE!!!!!!
Do yourselves a favour and hike the Otter Trail, i did it in november and it was absolutely magnificent!
We are so fortunate to ave one of the planet's greatest hikes, and in a national park too!
Dolphins are a guaranteed sight - I saw them everyday, and whales in the right season...
The Tsitsikamma coastline is absolutely breathtaking, and one of the best swims I've ever had was there...
The cabins are cosy, with running tap water.
Everyday one can explore the area around the overnight huts, it's amazing.
Take a snorkel along too, it's another world under the blue!
And best of all, each toilet (flushing) is fitted in a strategic place with a great frontal view of the ocean, (don't worry, it's one way glass!) :D
Crossing and swimming in those rivers is an adventure in itself, and those sunsets are exquisite!
So I strongly suggest you stop using SANParks as exclusively driving holidays, use the oppurtunity, and really experience South Africa's beuty firsthand on this famous hike :!:
(and to Francois: if you call hiking the otter trail self-torture, this is what you will think of yourself after doing it! :sniper: )
MEMBER OF THE WILD DOG FAN CLUB

Return to “Garden Route Parks”