Skip to Content

Otter Trail

Knysna, Tsitsikamma, Wilderness
DuneRichard

Re: Otter Trail

Unread post by DuneRichard » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:06 pm

LOL... If you happen to see a Witsand Kalahari Nature Reserve cap floating in the ocean, you'll know who drowned under it... :?
Ex Africa semper aliquid novi
Always something new out of Africa - Pliny the Elder

Thanatosis emoticon - :shock:

FGASA Level 1 Guide
17 years of life in the magical Kalahari and LOVING IT!

hanri.loots

Re: Otter Trail

Unread post by hanri.loots » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:35 am

Hi,

I just got booking for the otter 14 Feb to 18 Feb 2011 for 6 ppl. If you maybe have booking for the same date, let me know so we can chat before we meet there :D

I cant wait to go!!

CraigH

Otter Trail - Shuttle Bus to and from Storms River?

Unread post by CraigH » Thu May 27, 2010 5:30 am

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can clear something up for me. My partner and I have a reservation for the Otter trail from 20th to 24th of June, we also have accommodation booked at Storms River Mouth on the 19th, and at Natures Valley on the 24th.

We really can't afford the Baz Bus, and are looking at the Intercape bus instead - times for the Intercape bus suit us a lot better too. It says that it drops off at "STORMSRIVIER - Bridge Total Garage", so I have 3 questions:

1. How far is this from Storms River Mouth, and is there any transport to Storms River Mouth? I heard that there is a Shuttle bus but don't know anything about it or other options.

2. What would be the best way to get from Nature's Valley back to "STORMSRIVIER - Bridge Total Garage"? (So that we can catch the bus back to Cape Town at the end of the Otter Trail).

3. Is it ever possible to make arrangement swith a bus company like Intercape to pick up on the N2 outside Nature's Valley?

Any links or information would be greatly appreciated - we are quite confused! :)

Craig

Herman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Otter Trail - Shuttle Bus to and from Storms River?

Unread post by Herman » Mon May 31, 2010 7:42 pm

Storms River bridge to Storms river mouth is at least 10kms - so you'd better arrange transport !
Natures Valley back to Storms river bridge is 42 kms - there is a shuttle service , but it's pricey
My best advice is to contact the Storms river Parks office (042) 281 1607 they might be able to help ?

andre w

Re: Otter Trail - Shuttle Bus to and from Storms River?

Unread post by andre w » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:04 pm

Hi Craig,
We (also 2) have the same problem - we're doing the Otter in July - but now organised - I hope.
Nature's Valley Guest House (we don't have an accomm booking with them) will transport us between Nat Valley and Storms River Mouth, where we have a booking the night before the hike. Their rates are reasonable (I think) and they (Pat Bond) replied promptly.
The link to their site: http://www.naturesvalleyguesthouse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Enjoy your hike, be safe and please post something on your return - especially re the Bloukrantz crossing (LOL)
Regards
Andrè
WELKOM

thefunkydonkey

Otter Trail - Just the 4 falls

Unread post by thefunkydonkey » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:24 pm

Hi,
this is my first post on here. Looks like it's a nice place to find useful informations :clap:
Me and wife will spend some days around the Garden Route but and we're planning to stop at Storms River Mouth and have a walk for a day on our way to Port Elizabeth.
As the time is not enough to have the full Otter Trail, we've found on the Lonely Planet guide that there's a Four Falls Round trail which is the start of the regular Otter Trail as far as I can understand and it takes just some hours. Do you have any information on this and should this be booked as well?

Thanks for your help,
Rinaldo

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Otter Trail - Just the 4 falls

Unread post by Josh of the Bushveld » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:58 pm

Hi Rinaldo, and welcome to the forum!
The walk is a really nice one, and can be done in a few hours (there and back). The end spot is quite nice for a picnic, so take something with you to eat (though it was raining the last time I was there).

You don't need to book for the day walk, just go and do it.

I can also recommend the Salt River Cove walk which is on the Nature's Valley side of the park (I assume its within the national park?)
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Micetta
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Micetta » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:03 pm

Hi Josh, are there height differences and how long is "a few hours" (very slow walkers if there is the tiniest of hills :roll: )

Is it along the coast?

Sorry about my bad manners Rinaldo :redface: A warm welcome to the Forum :D

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Josh of the Bushveld » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:06 pm

It is along the coast. From what I remember, there isn't too much climbing or dropping, though there is a fair amount of boulder hopping/walking on rocks. The last time I did it I was actually surprised at how strenuous it was without a full pack (I did the full trail over 10 years ago). A lot of people do it, so it can't be too hard :) I'm pretty sure you could do it in 4 hours if that's all the time you had, though obviously its more enjoyable if you go slower.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Josh of the Bushveld » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:46 pm

For sure. Am sure you'll be able to do the whole thing, just take it slowly if need be. The waterfall at the end is worth it.

You should also take a day to do Salt River Cove/Mouth near Nature's Valley, though that has a bit of dropping/climbing

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

zeyphod

otter trail - logistics

Unread post by zeyphod » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:51 am

hi,

I was wandering If you can get to the begining of the otter with a car? and if there is a parking place where you can leave your car during the 5 days hike?
and finaly - how usualy hikers get backe to the begining point where they left their car?

thankes in advance!

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: otter trail - logistics

Unread post by Josh of the Bushveld » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:09 am

The trail starts at the end of the Storms River Mouth rest camp, so yes you can drive here.

i say this under correction, but I'm pretty sure you can park your car somewhere at that rest camp.

How you get back from Nature's Valley I'm not sure, but I'm confident someone else will come along and answer. (When I did it, some of our group evacuated halfway through and drove our car to Nature's Valley).

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

zeyphod

Unread post by zeyphod » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:46 pm

thankes:)

another option I concidered is parking at Nature's Valey and find a way to get to the begining of the trail.. I'm not sure which option is better?:)

andre w

Unread post by andre w » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:16 pm

Hi Zeyphod,
I've recently done the Otter and can help you out with the detail.
The Otter does not start at the mouth any longer - it starts at the reception - right inside the entrance to the Tsitsi park.
Opposite from the reception (where you have to pay conservation fees and get your Otter map) is the Otter Room, where you also visit to get a tide table and can watch a video of the Otter. That is the start of the trail.
Parking is right next to the Otter Room. We've parked our car at Nature's Valley - at the Otter parking site - very nice and clean ablution facilities where you can change into your hiking gear - we had overnight at the Storms River the night before the hike.
We got transported from Natures Valley by Natures Valley Guest House - just google them - arrange with Pat Bond - they pick you up at the Otter parking in Natures Valley - very reliable and reasonable tariffs.
If there's anything else you'd like to know, I'll try & answer them.
Enjoy the hike and prepare well!
Andrè

Return to “Garden Route Parks”