Skip to Content

Nikon Bodies

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
Switchback

Re: Nikon

Unread post by Switchback » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:05 am

I also LOVE my D90! :mrgreen:

Yesterday I upgraded my SB600 flash to a SB 900 flash. WOW! A lot of people say it doesn't make a big difference, but man I love it. I took some creative shots with both SB600 and SB900 set up as remotes (making use of Nikon CLS technology), came out quite interrestingly!

I also got myself the battery grip, taking portraits is a feast now! :mrgreen: I'm into wedding photography, so taking portraits is big on my agenda and with the nice vertical grip and extra shutter release button it really helps. The extra weight also "stabalises" the camera even more.

Bottom line: Nikon is lekker soos 'n cracker :dance:
KNP: 14 June: Skukuza Camping
15 -21 June: Letaba Camping

pepperjuice

Unread post by pepperjuice » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:24 am

Switchback

SB900 for that Leopard in the tree. I dont think the SB600 has the reach. I dont use a Flash Extender.

Just the SB900, external Battery pack and mostly for that Leopard in the tree. Manual. With the external Batt you get recycle times just below a second.

PepperJuice

RUMURUTI
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RUMURUTI » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:06 am

Moening Swtichback,
I'm still using my SB600 and interesting to hear you views on the SB900, going to borrow it from a fiend and try it and maybe change.

The battery grip is something super to have, I have two of them and probably the best buy for any Nikon user, three weeks in Kruger and never had to recharge.
"You can leave Africa but Africa never leaves you"
LIFE IS MADE OF GOOD AND BAD THINGS, I TAKE THE GOOD AND YOU CAN KEEP THE BAD!!!
Andy Benaglia

Switchback

Unread post by Switchback » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:20 pm

Hi Rumuruti,

The SB900 is about 30% more powerfull, but that's not the only reason I got it. It's light distribution is very clever, can rotate 180 Deg in both directions, has a further & closer reach, can be a commander as well, not just a remote (I like using Nikon's CLS), it switches on and off quickly (something I need during a wedding shoot) etc etc.

I'd say, if if wasn't for my wedding photography, I wouldn't have really bothered upgrading, so rather play with it and see if it is worth it for you. It is a superb flash though, and I love it! :dance:

Nice shot pepperjuice, will take my SB900 with me to the wild as well :cam:

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Josh of the Bushveld » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:59 pm

I've pretty much decided that the next piece of kit I need to buy myself is a speed light. It'll probably be an SB400, since I can't afford any of the others, and I'll just be starting. Would you consider this an error?
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Switchback

Unread post by Switchback » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:30 pm

In my opinion, yes, I wouldn't go for the SB400. For a little bit more you can get a SB600 - that's the one I'd go for. The SB400 is great and everything, but it only has vertical tilt which makes vertical shots with flash very direct.

If you're going to spend money on a flash, look at both, play around with them and then decide. Look for a nice second hand bargain!

pepperjuice

Unread post by pepperjuice » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:50 pm

Consider secondhand. Nikon flashes come and go

http://www.outdoorphoto.co.za/forum/cla ... t=5&page=1

I sold my SB800 for much less than I paid for it.

Nikkon

Re: Photos for Criticism

Unread post by Nikkon » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:52 pm

:dance:
Great pics! all of you. I am a new kid on the block of photography and need some advice from you all. I have decided to go for a Nikkon camera. Now I know (of what I’ve read already) that there is a professional war going on between Cannon and Nikkon users. Well don’t ask me now but I’ve decided on the Nikkon brand! My problems are as follow:
• Can I buy from an international dealer (warranties?)
• D3000 vs D5000
• How effective is a 18 – 55 mm lenses?
• I am twice a year in the KNP and needs to zoom in on objects sometimes more that 50m far, what lens do I need?
Bennie

RUMURUTI
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RUMURUTI » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:06 pm

Evening bennieva@lantic.net,
what a war between Nikon and Canon users??? no way, Canon is a long way from being anywhere close to Nikon!!! :tongue:

I'm not an expert on warranties, Italy has it's own and is valid only here!
I have a 18-55 mm lens and really have used used rarely in the national parks, pretty good for panorama but that's about it.
My lens kit includes Nikon 18/55 + 18/135 + 70/300 + 80/400 and just added a Sigma 300 f2.8.
Of the lot the one that I used most in KNP are the 70/300 and 80/400 and only once or twice the others.
"You can leave Africa but Africa never leaves you"
LIFE IS MADE OF GOOD AND BAD THINGS, I TAKE THE GOOD AND YOU CAN KEEP THE BAD!!!
Andy Benaglia

Barcud
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Barcud » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:35 pm

Hi,

I have Nikon bodies and lenses and swear by them, I've had 5 different Nikons over the years and NEVER needed to use the warranty. Worked in very cold climates and never had a problem, also in hot, dusty areas as well.

Have the 17-55 nikon lens and it's great for scenery and sunsets etc.

A couple of pics taken with this lens...

Cheers,

Barcud

Switchback

Unread post by Switchback » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:25 am

bennieva@lantic.net wrote:I have decided to go for a Nikkon camera.

Probably one of the best decisions you've made in your life so far! :tongue:

I agree with the rest, the 18 - 55mm you're only going to use for close-ups, portraits and landscapes. It is though a lens you have to have in your kit as basic. Depending on your budget, look at the newer Sigma 150 - 500mm lens, that'll be the kind of reach you would be wanting, add a 1.4 or 1.7 TC to it and you've got plenty of reach!

I also have a 70 - 300mm VR lens in my kit, what a great lens, I highly recommend it for medium range.

If you can, go for the D5000!

PS: Try not to get too technical on this thread, it is actually ment for photo criticism... :thumbs_up:

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Josh of the Bushveld » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:26 am

Mods, perhaps join these posts to one of the existing topics?

@bennieva@lantic.net: I'd recommend buying a seond hand D40 over the D3000 or D5000. This stems from Ken Rockwell's recommendation.

In fact, I'd recommend a 2nd hand D80 (or D50 if budget is constrained) because none of the above-mentioned cameras will autofocus with the vast majority of long-zoom lenses.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

fee

Re: Some advice for a beginner

Unread post by fee » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:38 am

Hi everyone, Glad this topic has been brought up again.
I am also looking to upgrade my camera, especially for visits to KP.
Have been on to dpreview.com website and Ken Rockwell - he seems to be biased towards Nikon. All the advice on these sites is rather over whelming for a novice.
Is the Nikon D60 a good choice for a beginner? Like the idea that with Nikon the lenses are interchangeable.
I was also looking at the brand new Fuji hs 10 (not an SLR) before I step up to the SLR league. Has got good reviews and seems to have all the components of a SLR. Anybody seen or heard about it. I fancy the 30x lens and the fact that you don't need to wory about changing lenses. Any advice there.
Nikon to offer an introductory course with a any new camera you purchase, but I would also be interested in a course with Robbie A when I've decided what to buy.
thanks for all the advice you always give.

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Josh of the Bushveld » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:07 am

fee, don't buy a D60, it won't autofocus with the majority of long wildlife lenses. Rather buy a 2nd hand D50 or D80.

Ken Rockwell can be very overwhelming, but he's starting to give a lot more non-technical advice, which I like.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

BushNuts

Unread post by BushNuts » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:30 pm

joshilewis wrote:fee, don't buy a D60, it won't autofocus with the majority of long wildlife lenses. Rather buy a 2nd hand D50 or D80.

Agree with joshilewis... if your budget allows for it. If not and you can get a D60, or even the newer D5000 or D3000 with at least a compatible (AF-S or AF-I) 70-300mm lens, then go for it. Not sure if the Bigma Elephant Compensation Lens (150-500mm) works with it though.

But the advantage of these cameras (D60, D3000 and D5000) is that you can get one cheap and see if it really is your thing. If you really like it you can upgrade the body later and still use the lenses you originally purchased.

PS: Buying new sometimes has the advantage that the retailer might include a voucher for a free course (Not the best of courses, but good enough to get you going).
"What makes a simple picture a true photograph, is the infusion of a story, emotions and memories."

31/12 - 01/01 : KNP - Talamati
02/01 - 05/01 : KNP - Satara

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”