Skip to Content

Marakele: ADVICE

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele
JenB
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Location: Johannesburg - where they cut down trees and name streets after them.

Re: Marakele: ADVICE

Unread post by JenB » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:10 pm

Hi regalrinkals,

Warm welcome to the forum! :D

Marakele is perfect for a day trip. Firstly a trip up the mountain is a have to do, the view is absolutely awesome! As you go through the tunnel, you enter big 5 territory so be on the lookout. I would suggest you also pay a visit to the bird hide, I'm sure there should be quite a bit of water around. Have lunch at the picnic spot, that is in the lower part of the park and generally has more game than the big 5 side. While you are there, watch out for rhino, they are everywhere.

Have a wonderful trip!
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

meli

Marakele National Park for the first time

Unread post by meli » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:38 am

HI
We are thinking of visiting Marakele National Park in July for 4 nights. We want something remote and off the beaten track but as we are coming from Australia we also want to see as much wildlife as possible. From what I have been reading on this forum it seems sightings are not prolific in this park. Has anyone got any different stories?
Thanks

Eagle Owl

Re: Marakele National Park for the first time

Unread post by Eagle Owl » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:05 am

Hi Meli,

Welcome to the forums!!

We visited Marakele on the 22nd of March. Only a day visit. Have not seen any of the Big5 but still enjoyed all the other sightings of various antelope, zebras and giraffe.
Though, at the picnic area we found some fresh small catprints and back on the sand rode we found bigger cat footprints we think might be those of cheetah... :hmz:

Then there is the road up to the lookout... :shock: I thought I did not have height anxiety, but I was clamming to SO's seat while laughing and crying at the same time... :redface: And it felt like hours before we reached the top. It was terrifying!!

But we had excellent klipspringer sightings and mountain reedbuck.

There are some trip reports with beautiful photos on Marakele (I do not know how to link it) which might give you a better insight of the place. JenB, help!!

Must say, I probably would camp two days at Bontle Camp and two days as Tlopi tented camp that overlooks the dam. I think just staying put for half a day might bring magnificent sightings at both places.

Enjoy your stay... :thumbs_up:

(I would probably do a one day trip report in the next few days.)

JenB

Unread post by JenB » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:34 am

Here you are EO, Trip Report Index-Northern Parks. 8)

Hi Meli,
Warm welcome to the forum! :D
I can only echo what Eagle Owl has said: Marakele is a wonderful place to be with and enjoy nature and what it has to offer. We usually camp at Bontle which means beautiful place and it is beautiful! The animal and bird life is prolific and you will get to meet rhino up close.

(TR EO? :hmz: :popcorn: :pray: :wink: )
"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~ Anatole France

JenB

Unread post by JenB » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:54 pm

We haven't been right in the middle of winter yet but I don't think it gets too cold at night, not subzero temperatures anyway but it would be wise to take something warm to sleep in. The daytime temperatures should be quite pleasant.

4 Nights at Tlopi is still on my to do list and I don't think that is too long. You'll have lots of time just sitting on the deck and drinking in the bush around you. The dam at Tlopi is also the main watering point in the vicinity so you might have many visitors coming down to drink in the afternoon. I think that is also one of the best spots to watch out for elephants. I'm sure you will have a wonderful relaxing time while your body start slowing down to the timing of the African clock. :wink:

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:40 pm

JenB, I beg to differ!! We went to Tlopi at the end of June 2009. I have never been so cold in my life. Luckily, we took extra bedding (sleeping bags with zips all round that open out to make a duvet). In the morning the windows, windscreen etc on our bakkie were covered in ice. It took several minutes with the defrost running to defrost them.

Despite the freezing weather (I'm sure it differs year to year), we had a wonderful long weekend at Marakele. It is not the place to go for Big 5, but it offers amazing scenery, animals and birds.

We had a breeding herd (25) elephants come down to drink at the dam right in front of our tent at Tlopi. Other animals also came down to drink from time to time. We heard lion roar one night and I'm sure I heard a leopard nearby.

We would definitely go back - a wonderful place to relax and enjoy the bush.
Letaba 14-17 Oct 2017
Shingwedzi 17-20 Oct 2017
Punda Maria 20-14 Oct 2017

Eagle Owl

Unread post by Eagle Owl » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:09 am

This visitor did not mind using the loo outside. They have no regards to our human species... 8)

These ellie droppings was at the Tlopi tented camp.

naomi c
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Marakele

Unread post by naomi c » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:34 pm

Yes they do - each campsite has its own braai. :thumbs_up:

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:36 pm

Yep! They do!
Mind you, remember to bring charcoal or wood, as this is not available in the park.

Have a read in this topic, that may answer some more questions, or give you some good hints.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

naomi c
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by naomi c » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:48 pm

You can buy wood at the gate - we did so in February. :D

KendraClaire

Unread post by KendraClaire » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:10 pm

Does anyone have any idea as to how far Bela-Bela (warmbaths) is from Marakele.

KC

Sparks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Sparks » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:42 am

If you take the R516 to mabula and turn right at the t at koedoeskop R511 you are looking at about 220 - 250km. Well worth the trip :lol:
Adventure is out there. Go find it

KendraClaire

Unread post by KendraClaire » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:15 pm

Me Again... :D

Does Marakele have any picnic sites?

Sparks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Sparks » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:16 am

In the lower section ofthe park (kwaggas vlakte) there is a place to get out and have a braai, and you don't have to worry about uninvited guests :twisted:
Adventure is out there. Go find it

Bart47

Unread post by Bart47 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:07 am

I am planning a trip to Marakele end of next week. Does the Tlopi camp has a restaurant and or a store or is it self-catering? I can bring food that is not a problem but like to know if there is anything available.

Return to “Northern Parks”