Skip to Content

Old Kruger park Stories

Spotted Cat
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Your Earliest Memories of Kruger

Unread post by Spotted Cat » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:59 pm

Our first trip to Kruger was a day trip - 30 minutes into the park and the first animals (apart from impis) we saw, were two beautiful leopards. We were thrilled! I was hooked!!! ....
until dear SO told me the dinner plate sized 'prints' I saw were made by an elephant, and the funny 'zig-zag pattern' was made by its trunk :slap: :redface: I was a nervous wreck! :shock: Expected an elephant behind every bush (still do today)

Couldn't stay away, though. We were on holiday at Blydepoort at the time and I clearly remember our next trip ... the following day!! :lol:
We left VERY early and were one of the first cars at the gate. The birth of a long and happy relationship with the park..... 1987 - (hopefully for many years to come)

Next big Park discovery? The Forum! And Spotted Cat was 'born' :dance:
2007 - (hopefully many years to come)
"Happiness is like jam. You can't spread even a little without getting some on yourself."

Bushmom
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Your Earliest Memories of Kruger

Unread post by Bushmom » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:43 pm

It was definitely not my first visit, that being in 1950, but it was very funny at the time. It must have been around 1962 and wildlife in the camps were rife. One evening late my aunt, coming from the ablutions in her nightwear, was chatting to us through the screens on the stoep. Suddenly she cried "Voertsek, voertsek" (go away, go away) and tried to push the screen door open. There was an hyena sniffing at her feet and she was dancing and pushing alternately, never realising she should pull the door open. My mother helped her out of her misery by opening the door, but I do not think she went outside at night for the rest of the trip!
On that same trip my cousin ran after what he thought was an hyena to chase it away and it turned out to be a lioness.
If I think what a commotion the leopard in Tambotie caused, we must have been very brave!
The world is truly round and seems to start and end with those we love...
Nelson Mandela
December '12????
1-6 May '13

SilverSpur

Re: Old Kruger park Stories

Unread post by SilverSpur » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:51 am

There has been no activity for awhile, I will be in Lower-Sabie next week. I have so many wonderful memories of the camp.

Will be staying in the single bed bungalow, they must be some of the first built in the camp.

I wonder who remembers the old entrance? Even before Sunset dam was built and before the current road to Shokwane. The old bridge was on the side where the restaurant is today..

Many many years ago, in a land far far away. How wonderful are those memories.

Thank you to my parents for introducing me to the Kruger so many years ago....

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:00 am

Oh I remember that road and bridge well We stayed there at LS on Honeymoon ... and had a meal or two at the very old restuarant.. long since gone.. Well its still there but not used for anything . Must really look up old photographs. No tarred roads then
"WRINKLES
Something other people have,
similar to my character lines

SilverSpur

Unread post by SilverSpur » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:13 am

Do you remember the old Cafeteria, they had these old rails that you walked along in an L shape.

They made wonderful buff pies with gravy, salad and chips.

And what about the old shop, small but very effective.

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Old photos of Kruger

Unread post by okie » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:55 pm

Wow , it brings back memories :hmz: I have some old pics of 1970 visit , but not of the camps . I recall that at Lower Sabie restaurant they served " a la carte " meals .
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:56 pm

Okie, I remember that, and it was so cheap!!!!

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by okie » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:55 pm

Yes VGS , including a nice bottel of red wine :lol: . And we stayed in a small rondavel , with just a bed in it , and it also cost almost nothing , but we had to make our rfeservations 11 months ahead as soon as bookings opened , and you took whatever was available . Our daughter was 3 months old , and lay in the carrycot on the backseat , and just about every time we saw something exiting , then she started to howl . :big_eyes: Real fun days they were :whistle:
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

Guinea Fowl

76 years visiting Kruger

Unread post by Guinea Fowl » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:20 pm

Hi everyone,

My first post on this site. Just wanted people to share their experiences and memories of the Kruger National Park. My father has been going to the Park now every year for 76 years! He is 86 years old and his first trip to Kruger was to Satara in 1934.

He says there was only one circle of huts then with a very low (non-electric!) fence, and the water was still brak. No shop or restaurant.

I will be bringing him back to Satara at the end of November this year. He is already very excited for another memory lane trip.

Anyone have other info about the camps back then or memories? Anyone been going to the Park longer than this?

Just curious!

Guinea Fowl
Wir lieben den Busch

Hippo-fan

Re: 76 years visiting Kruger

Unread post by Hippo-fan » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:13 pm

Welcome Guinea fowl. I found this picture recently in a Dutch book on Kruger.

This Skukuza in the thirties :shock: I've been wondering what it must have been like in Kruger then and your father actually experienced it. :big_eyes: He must have great stories to tell.
Kruger 2010 countdown

19 sept Letaba, 20-22 sept Sirheni, 23 sept Olifants, 24-26 sept Amukela (Balule Game Reserve), 27-28 sept Lower Sabie, 29-30 sept Skukuza, 1-2 oct. Shishangeni Camp Shonga , 3 oct. Lower Sabie, 4-5 oct Satara, 6 oct. Letaba

Sparrow
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Sparrow » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:10 am

Sorry no :cam: of old but my first trip to Kruger was in 1970. First camp was Pretorious Kop @ R35.00 a bungalow 2 people sharing per night complete with toilet shower and a working aircon.

My Dads car was a Valiant with a beeeeg boot as I remember so everything fitted.

I also remember our first lion sighting on Ellof Street. A lioness with a treated wound behind her left shoulder covered in gengin violet. Was rather scary as she was close to the car and the back window had come off its winding mechanism and could not close. You could count the ticks eyes not just the ticks, she was that close.

We also had a rule in those days which is still observed by our whole family today (40 years on) that no car radio`s were allowed to be played once we had entered the park.
Russel G

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished Lao Tzu

19/12/16 to 24/12/16 Satara
25/12/16 to 27/12/16 Skukuza
28/12/16 to 31/12/16 Croc Bridge

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:43 am

Sparrow wrote:We also had a rule in those days which is still observed by our whole family today (40 years on) that no car radio`s were allowed to be played once we had entered the park.

Definitely no radio once in the park!!! and no litter!!!!

I remember those R35 bungalows with kitchen and ensuite!!!!
Where did it all go wrong!! :cry: :cry:

Oh dear I sound like an old moaner don't I, and I can't wait to get back there, whatever the case!! :dance: :dance:

GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by GlenD » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:05 am

alf wrote:My brother has found an old map from my dad from 1967. There they mentioned that the north of the park from Letaba up were closed for public during summer months. I wonder why? Maybe heat??

I speak under correction but I think it was because of the rainy season making most roads and rivers impassable.

Jungle Junkie
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Jungle Junkie » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:20 am

alf wrote:My brother has found an old map from my dad from 1967. There they mentioned that the north of the park from Letaba up were closed for public during summer months. I wonder why

In the little book Kruger Q & A's 1981 edition (up for auction btw) It states, and I quote:-
Q. Are all the camps open throughout the year?
A. In the past only certain camps were open during the summer months because the number of visitors to the Park did not justify the cost of keeping more camps open. It was then planned that the whole Park would be open all year round from March 1977.

So there it is from the horses mouth, so to speak! :D
I am two with nature ~ Woody Allen ~

To vote for your FAVOURITE WEBCAM SIGHTING go HERE

My Trip to Marakele National Park- Here

Rooies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Rooies » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:36 am

alf wrote:My brother has found an old map from my dad from 1967. There they mentioned that the north of the park from Letaba up were closed for public during summer months. I wonder why? Maybe heat??

My AA road atlas of 1969 says that the whole of Kruger was open from 1 May to 15 October. However only P/kop, Skukuza and Olifants remained open all year. Strange enough, Satara was not included. The roads and malaria were the problem.

It appears that the northern section of Kruger was not considered to be worth visiting. My atlas shows Kruger as part of the Eastern Transvaal and then has a separate page for the southern section, with more detail, but no separate page for the northern section.
Give thanks for unknown blessings already on its way---African saying
Member nr 8512
Cheetah supporterPURIST and proud thereof

Return to “History, Archeology and Culture”