Skip to Content

Standard Fix Lens Advice

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Standard Fix Lens Advice

Unread post by Josh of the Bushveld » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:09 pm

ceruleanwildfire wrote:I reckon one of the biggest things that hold photographers back is the snap syndrome. A lot of people just like to take snapshots. Nothing wrong with that, unless you have a SLR, then it's waste.

Yes. I'm too fast at taking pictures. I seem to be reasonably good at noticing issues with photos on a PC, but not while I'm taking them.

One good suggestion I've read (am yet to try it) is to walk around with a photo frame, to assist in developing a 'frame' in your eye. I guess this would only work for 50mm or so though.

I also want to buy a 50mm prime, but at the moment I can't afford the AF-s 50mm F1.4G and the others won't autofocus on my D40
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

ceruleanwildfire

Standard Fix Lens Advice

Unread post by ceruleanwildfire » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:14 pm

Remember to take into account the Digital Magnification Factor. The 50mm prime lens was the focal equivalent of the human eye. However because most digital SLR cameras have a magnification factor of 1.5 or 1.6, thereby making the focal length of a 50mm prime lens 75mm.

The equivalent would be a 35mm prime lens. Which is good news for JL because Nikon makes a 35mm prime DX lens at a fraction of the cost, +/-R2k, of the 50mm prime.

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”