Skip to Content

Video Editing Help/Tips

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
FISHEAGLE31

Re: Video Camera Editing

Unread post by FISHEAGLE31 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:06 pm

I have tried various software programs and pinnacle studio is for me the most versatile and simple to use but it has a couple of disadvantages but minor ones. I am running pinnacle studio 11 plus that I purchased a year ago for R1300 but please shop around the prices are very competitive.

Johan N

Unread post by Johan N » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:18 pm

Thanks FISHEAGLE31 :thumbs_up:

Version 12 was released a while back and strangely enough the price is still the same - also the plus version.

propolis

Unread post by propolis » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:16 am

I use 2 programs with great success.

For a quick bit of editting, removing some shaky bits and a few transitions thrown in, Pinnacle 12 is all you need (and you can do much much more)

When I do more advanced editting, I use Adobe Premiere Pro - the only down side is that you must have a Dual Core CPU in your PC, but it is a great piece of software

:D

ruud

Unread post by ruud » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:23 am

Hi Johan,

the first years I used Pinnacle but after my comp. was crashed and I had several problems with Pinnacle, now I use Adobe Premiere Pro.
Very very good program but not cheap...

:thumbs_up:

rayb
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by rayb » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:24 pm

propolis wrote:When I do more advanced editting, I use Adobe Premiere Pro - the only down side is that you must have a Dual Core CPU in your PC, but it is a great piece of software

:D

PPro does need a fast processor and lots of RAM but I was running it quite happily on a single core AMD Athlon. It probably needs a dual core processor for Hi Def.

My recommendation for starters would be Premiere Elements. It has many of the great features of Premiere Pro but is much cheaper. Its DVD encoding is really good. If you decide at a later stage to upgrade to PPro you will already be faniliar with many of the functions.
The smaller the monkey the more it looks like it would kill you at the first given opportunity

rayb
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by rayb » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:14 pm

Johan, if you look here

linky

There are tutorials for Elements 7 that will show you some of the things that can be done with it.
The smaller the monkey the more it looks like it would kill you at the first given opportunity

Emily86
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Mini DV/firewire/usb problem

Unread post by Emily86 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:34 am

Hi guys, I found you photography buffs very helpful when i purchased a dslr, so I'm turning to you for help with a video camcorder :D .
On an impulse buy I have purchased a basic canon miniDV camcorder. Problem is the instructions reveal something about a firewire cable and port to import the video onto a laptop, my laptop doesn't have a firewire port. Any ideas on alternative solutions?
I would really like to capture footage of my wildlife experiences on my next trip. :pray:
Like a true Nature child, I was born, Born to be Wild

Scout

Re: Mini DV/firewire/usb problem

Unread post by Scout » Wed May 27, 2009 12:17 pm

Firewire to USB Converter there is an adapter on here that will convert firewire to USB. :)
KNP - 11 August 2009 - 26 August 2009

Juggie

Unread post by Juggie » Wed May 27, 2009 6:18 pm

I was in the same boat since the past month and seeing this post I was finally tempted to register on the forum and post a reply!!

I note that Scout has suggested a Firewire to USB converter, and it definitely isn't the cheapest solution!

I'm currently using a Firewire to PCMCIA Cardbus adapter without any issues and the best parts are that they're way cheaper and you can have multiple Firewire ports on the Laptop. This is great as you can connect the camcorder and an external hard drive to the Firewire ports. You soon find that you're investing in software, external hard drives, books and lots of time to get half decent results!! :cry:

Noting that you're location is in the UK, I've pulled up this link on Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Firewire-Cardbu ... B000MS96X2

I hope I've got the link right! As you can see you get multiple ports at a fraction of the Firewire to USB converter. This should give you a start and you can try and see if this product is available in your favourite brands.

Hope this helps. :wink:

Juggie

Unread post by Juggie » Thu May 28, 2009 5:51 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys! :) Much appreciated!

Scot: OK, got it!

Emily86: You're welcome! This adapter is a card that plugs right into the laptop PCMCIA slot. Just ensure that your laptop has a PCMCIA or CardBus slot to plug it into. You should get this information from the laptops' user manual. If your laptop instead has an ExpressCard slot, then just purchase a Firewire to ExpressCard adapter.

I'm glad to be of some help , after mooching off the forum over the last six months or so!! :wink:

fee

Can I make a DVD from a Canon camera video without computer

Unread post by fee » Thu May 17, 2012 6:25 pm

HELP!!
I used my Canon camera recently in the park and it made the most amazing quality video in HD. (My old Sony packed up the night before I left for Kruger).
However, I need a simple way to burn it to a DVD without using a computer.
Is there such a way? .... I want to plug the camera cords into the tv and burn it straight from the memory card through to the dvd recorder.... just like my old Sony did!
I swear I nearly smashed my laptop from frustration. :evil: :sniper:

Do all video cameras need to go through a computer to burn to a dvd.

Hope somebody out there will help.

DinkyBird

Re: CAN I MAKE A DVD FROM CANON CAMERA VIDEO WITHOUT COMPUT

Unread post by DinkyBird » Thu May 17, 2012 6:30 pm

Hi fee ... I asked my SO about this as he is the video fundi.

He says he cannot see why it would not work if it plays through the TV. Why not try it?
Sawubona
Dalene

fee

Re: Can I make a DVD from a Canon camera video without compu

Unread post by fee » Mon May 21, 2012 6:26 pm

Dinky Bird - .... Eventually phoned Canon ... no, it can't be done from TV to DVD recorder. can only watch each frame through the TV, not a continuous movie.
Has to be downloaded onto computer with loaded software for this purpose - either Windows dvd maker or movie maker :evil:
and then burned to a dvd.

Up with old technology .... it made my life simpler!! :thumbs_up:

Eventually took it to someone who does it at a reasonable price!!!

fee

PROGRAME TO ASSIST WITH SHAKY VIDEO FOOTAGE

Unread post by fee » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:47 pm

Hi - I take a lot of videos in Kruger and its sometimes difficult to keep absolutely still. I then edit them via movie maker into a dvd with music, etc. and love watching them from time to time. I have heard of various programs which can assist in editing the shaky clips.

Can any of the experts out there advise on a reasonably priced program to help me.

thanks

inyanga 1
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: PROGRAME TO ASSIST WITH SHAKY VIDEO FOOTAGE

Unread post by inyanga 1 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:07 pm

hi,
uploading to youtube offers a de-shakey option.

it keeps the centre of attention, central. thus deterring the shakes. the frame is reduced to accommodate the effect.

I guess its meant for tracking shots.

I use it in the videos taken on a canon camera, rather than an hd video cam. in the video sequences in our TR below.
r
2016 Reis verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps..
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=93948

Other TR's are 2015 Cape to Namibia .. 2013 Mokala & KNP ..

WYSIWIT - Photos aren't photoshop'd except for mono, sepia & cropping

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”