Hyperfocal distances

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
Caracal
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Infinity ????

Unread post by Caracal » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:57 am

Please help....

When focussing on infinity which f-stop should I be using ???
My research into this topic is confusing :?
Some say F22 and some say wide open.
:huh:

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Infinity ????

Unread post by Josh of the Bushveld » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:03 am

Caracal wrote:Please help....

When focussing on infinity which f-stop should I be using ???
My research into this topic is confusing :?
Some say F22 and some say wide open.
:huh:

I might be missing something.
Your aperture shouldn't have anything to do with your focus. Your aperture should be controlled solely to achieve a particular shutter speed (in S or Tv) or to achieve a specific depth of field.
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by ndloti » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:05 am

Big f-stop number for landscapes , small f-stop number for separating subject from background (taken from a Getaway on line newsletter)
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.

Switchback

Unread post by Switchback » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:59 am

ndloti wrote:Big f-stop number for landscapes , small f-stop number for separating subject from background (taken from a Getaway on line newsletter)

Agree, your AV will depend on lighting conditions, shutter speed, DOF, etc etc.

It really is up to you, not dependant on focussing. Obviously when you are at infinity, you most probably are shooting subjects / landscape some distance from you, so generally your AV shoul be about 8 or higher, but there's no rule as far as I know.
KNP: 14 June: Skukuza Camping
15 -21 June: Letaba Camping

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Josh of the Bushveld » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:53 am

Infinitiy is a fictitious pount of focus. Effectively the lens is focused 'very far away', i.e. at the end of its focus range.

I'm not sure why you're getting confused, but focus and aperture are completely orthogonal - i.e. they are not connected and changing one has no effect on the other.

The point of foscusing at infinity is to focus very far away, e.g. for landscape shots.

Asking 'why would you want to focus at infinity' is like asking 'why would you want to focus on the bird 2 metres away'
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:22 am

Check this page and print the chart(s) for your lens(es).
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Switchback

Unread post by Switchback » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:59 am

The only time I have really use the infinity mark on my lenses is when I am shooting landscapes and focus manually, but even then I focus most of the time on the 1/3 plane auto focus.

The only other real time I use the infinity mark is when shooting in the dark, especially lightning that is quite far away. The lens can't auto focus on a dark subject so far away, thus the infinity mark gives me a reference for me to know my shot will be in focus. I still play around with my apperture / ISO / shutter speed etc.which is obviously not related to my focussing degree.
KNP: 14 June: Skukuza Camping
15 -21 June: Letaba Camping

Fransmargate

Hyperfocal distances

Unread post by Fransmargate » Mon May 23, 2011 5:59 am

Hi Everybody - Whenever I took scenery shots I was told to focus a third of the way up the frame - this is I was told the hyperfocal distance :rtm: Is there a way of determining this point of focus more accurately and if so where do I get that for example for my 10-20mm lens?

I also heard that lenses have an optimum aperture for DOF - usually one or two stops inside the narrowest setting. Is this correct?

Please help :mrgreen:

Regards Frans

Massimo

Re: Hyperfocal distances

Unread post by Massimo » Mon May 23, 2011 2:20 pm

You can get more accurate ways to tell your hyperfocal distance and I have posted some links below that should help. After a while you will get to know your hyperfocal distances so you won't have to refer to them.

Link to site regarding hyperfocal distance:
http://www.dofmaster.com/hyperfocal.html

Link To Printable hyperfocal calculator:
http://www.dofmaster.com/custom.html

Link to online hyperfocal calculator (nice to have a play with):
http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Regarding your 2nd question then I think you are referring to the maximum aperature before becoming diffraction limited (DLA). I take it you obviously using a crop sensor DSLR ? using a 10-22mm lens but it depends on the body of your camera and not the lens. It gets lower the higher the denisty sensor so for example on a Canon 350D 8MP it is f/10.4 and on a Canon 550D/600D 18MP it is f/6.8.

Here is a site that could explain it probably better than me:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...hotography.htm

You don't need a very high aperture with a wide/very wide angle lens on a crop sensor body to get a large depth of field. For example if you had a focal distance of 12mm on a crop sensor canon (x1.6) even at f/8 if you focused at approx 3ft (91cm) your DoF would be from approx 2ft (60cm) to infinity.

Hope the above helps but I wouldn't get too tied up in things like CoC or DLA if your taking good shots.
Canon 5D MK III :) :), Canon 7D , Canon 450D | Canon 400 F5.6 L | Canon 70-200 F2.8 L IS|Sigma 10-200 EX DG OS F4-5.6 & goodies :)
Runner up wildlife photographer of the year 2012-sunday times & winner-Canon S.A. reflection category

Fransmargate

Re: Hyperfocal distances

Unread post by Fransmargate » Tue May 24, 2011 3:53 am

Hi Massimo - I learn every day :D Thank you for your reply and the links :clap:
We are at present in New Zealand (has been from end Nov 2010 untill end of Aug this year -) The scenery is breathtaking and the seabirds beautiful.

I have a Canon 400D and a 40D with a 100=400 L lens for the birds and a Sigma 10-20 for the sceneries. I will use the links you so kindly made available and will hopefully improve my scenery photos.

Once again -THANK YOU

Frans

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”