Skip to Content

zoomlenses in KTP

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
Suzan

zoomlenses in KTP

Unread post by Suzan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:06 pm

Hello again,
thanks for the advice on where to stay in KTP.
Booked & confirmed Twee Rivieren & Mata Mata.
To bad it's only for four nights. :cry:
But now i have another question. I searched the topics but i can't really find what I'm looking for.
I own a Canon Eos 400D with 10-22mm, 18-55mm an a 55-250mm lenses.
Do i need a larger zoom lens in KTP :? and if so what do you recommend?

when i read all those stories and see all those great pics then September is so far away, :( i can't wait to get there.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:31 pm

I'd bring at least 300 mm, with a 1.4 teleconverter...

Especially if you want to photograph birds, 250 mm will be rather short in most cases.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Batsman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Batsman » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:32 pm

Hi Suzan,

I'm no big photo freak, but i would go with Duco's suggestions.

Most of the times when KTP lacks with game sightings you're blessed with beautiful birds.

Thank god we had both this february in the Mata-Mata region.

Suzan

Unread post by Suzan » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:44 pm

OK,
but are you saying i should buy 1 lens with 1 converter which will cost me over € 1500,00??? :oops:
I don't know if I'm worth that. :redface: I'm just a beginner...

kaaskop

Unread post by kaaskop » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:17 pm

I"ll stick with what you have got. If you are a beginner, enjoy the trip and see what you can do with your equipment.

madach
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: zoomlenses in KTP

Unread post by madach » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:31 pm

Suzan wrote:Do i need a larger zoom lens in KTP :? and if so what do you recommend?

I'm thinking of buying a 500mm at the moment so I'm probably not the person to ask, but I think you need a longer lens.

When I'm in KTP I take more than 75% of my pictures using my 300mm + 1.4x converter, and sometimes even the resulting 420mm is too short. My requirements are probably a bit more extreme than for the average photographer, but I'd consider 300mm as a minimum for this specific park.

bucky
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by bucky » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:29 pm

Yes you need some more .

A 400 or the 300 plus 1.4 teles is a requirment imo.

That said, you will still get some great shots there, About half my kalahari photos where taken with a 70-200.

You will loose out on bird photo opportunities, and things like wild cat/badgers will also be out of range, but for lions at the waterholes you are sorted.

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:44 am

I think it all depends on what you're looking for and whether your objective is professional quality photos or good quality holiday pix. It's also a question of what you can comfortably handle.

For myself personally, anything longer than the 75-300mm zoom lens is simply too heavy and cumbersome for me to handle cofortably. And I've never used a teleconverter, so can't comment on that. Also, while many photographers want everything to be in close up, I often shoot wider frames as I want to capture the setting as well as the animal or bird in question.

I now travel with two camera bodies for several reasons. I have both a wider 18-55mm and a close(r) up 75-300mm lens, so I don't have to be changing lenses, because with a single body I've found that you've always got the "wrong" lens for the specific situation and waste time (and miss great moments) whilst changing the lens. :roll: Having two bodies also cuts down on the possibility of getting dust on the sensor. And while I never get as close to birds as I'd like, neither the longer and heavier lens nor the teleconverter are options I personally choose.

For me it's all a question of what you want to accomplish with your photos and what gear you can comfortably handle. IMO, if you're not comfortable with your kit, you'll not be getting optimum photos.
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town

wingman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wingman » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:05 am

Hi MM take your time and research all the threads in this section one thing I have learnt is there is huge differences in the clarity and sharpness of some of these lenses particularly at their extreme ranges so look at all the threads and use the links in them you will soon see which are the better sharper lenses. Also there is a very limited market in SA for 2nd hand lenses and you can pick them up fairly cheaply by hunting around and searching the papers etc.

Iv also been looking for a decent zoom up to 500mm its not an easy option but by looking at the members sites and the advise i ve got a good idea of what im after now.
happy hunting

bucky
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by bucky » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:00 am

MM, whatever you do, do not get the 170-500 Sigma, this is one of there bad lenses, and is a waste of money.
There are better lenses in the price bracket worth the cash.

You will have to look at the 50-500 Sigma or the 400 F5.6 by canon, but both are heavy, and more pricy than the 170-500, but will leave you happy with your purchase.

You need to look at the situation though, and realise that you will not carry about anything in the focal length of 400 plus mm for walking, these need to rest on your window out the car, or in a hide on a bean bag.
For long walk, I use a 70-300 Sigma with semi macro function on my 350d, as I can do some landscapes,some macros for interesting small things and also most wildlife.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:17 am

Thanks for that, Bucky.

I have been trying out my daughter's 350D and have decided to go that route. What do you think?
I was thinking of perhaps going for the Canon EF70-300mm lens. I has an image stabiliser and seems to be a good starting point.

I am hoping that by the time I do the Olifants trail that I will be able to afford a smaller camera, as Michele suggested. For the meantime most of my pictures will be from the safety of a car, or maybe walks around camps and picnic sites.

What do you think of the Tamron lens? Is it a kind of generic? They do seem to be rather economical.
My last binos, which were stolen were Kenko, which is very much a generic. I now have a pair of Bushnells which cost a lot more and I am so disappointed. They are nowhere near the quality of my previous Kenko pair.
I am always open to try "no name brands" if they are good quality.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

saraf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by saraf » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:06 pm

MM,

I'm quite small (less than 5 ft) and nowhere near as fit as you are. I have the Canon 350 and a 70-200 L with 1.4 converter combo, which I love. I've managed to do a 3 hour walk with it and a kit lens, albeit in an English summer rather than a bush walk in Africa!

Also remember that the new 450 will have an effect on the prices of the 350 and 400 as dealers try to sell off old stock. Have a look around and you might find a bargain.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

gwendolen

Unread post by gwendolen » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:39 am

I wonder why no one has mentioned this, but I think the Panasonic DMC-FZ30 or the new FZ50 is a much better choice for you, MM. It is a lot lighter, no need to switch lenses and it you'll get great pix. (Assuming you aren't going to print any poster sized ones)

Examples:
Dreamer's pix
Jumbo's pix

Boabab

Unread post by Boabab » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:05 am

That is a very nice camera if you are interested in selling some body parts Sony make a 70-200mm F2.8G lens($1999), a 300mm F2.8G($5999), 1.4X and 2X Teleconverters($449) that is very good.

pwven

Lenses for KTP

Unread post by pwven » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:14 pm

I am going to the KTP next week for one week. What is the most important three lenses that you will take with you. This is my first trip to this park and looking forward to it.

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”