Skip to Content

Advice on Lenses Please.

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
wox

Advice on Lenses Please.

Unread postby wox » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:24 pm

Hi there,
Am very new to the forum and to DSLR photography, having just bought a Nikon D3000 with 2 kit lenses, a 18-55mm Vr and 55-200mm, I realise after much reading on here the the focal lengths are too short for good wildlife photography. The question is what focal length would be suitable, and working within a limited budget after the purchase, what would be the choice of Sigma against Nikon lenses, seeing as the sigma lenses appear to be a little cheaper?
Many Thanks.

Kamadejo
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Advice on Lenses Please.

Unread postby Kamadejo » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:41 pm

A warm welcome to the forum Wox :lol:

I've got the Nikon D5000 and a Sigma DG 150-500mm APO HSM. I was really happy with both, also I still have to learn a lot. :wink:
Bet you will get some answers from the more experienced forumites here :thumbs_up:
Katja

Kamadejo returns to KNP after 7 years
Balm for the Soul

Sprocky

Unread postby Sprocky » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:47 pm

Hi wox and a warm welcome to the forum. :thumbs_up:

The one problem is that this debate about lenses now has more threads than Liz Taylor had husbands, it is getting a bit worn out. Maybe one of the other mites can post links to these threads that will answer all your questions. I would if I could, but I am not an inter...thing boffin. :wink:

RUMURUTI
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby RUMURUTI » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:47 pm

Hi wox and welcome to the forum.
Years back I started with my first DSLR, Nikon D50, and with the same lenses as yours.
I made very little use of the 15-88 and always had the 55-200 attached the camera. Great easy to use lens but definitely a little "short" for wildlife photography and also had to either skip far shots or crop.
Today, a few years later, I've passed to a Nikon 80-400 f/4.5 which is a great all round zoom lens and have found the focal length suitable for wildlife photography. Mostly used at the 300-350 focal length and with excellent results. It's not an expensive lens and definitely worth the money you pay.
Sigma lenses are excellent and the best all rounder at the moment is the Sigma 150-500, which I tried just yesterday with a friend. Good price even if found it very long and a little on the heavy side.

If you are looking for top notch quality then you will have to think about fixed focal lenses and prices rise a lot.

Hope I helped and always here for a Nikon user!! :D
"You can leave Africa but Africa never leaves you"
LIFE IS MADE OF GOOD AND BAD THINGS, I TAKE THE GOOD AND YOU CAN KEEP THE BAD!!!
Andy Benaglia

wox

Unread postby wox » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:20 pm

Thanks very much ,mites,
I hear what you say and have made the corresponding notes, will be off to check things out shortly.

Thanx again

JDW

Unread postby JDW » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:09 pm

Wox
Be careful before investing in additional lenses.
Not all lenses will work with the D3000.
Regards
JDW
2015 - Jun/Jul - Scotland
2015 - Sep - North Wales
2016 - South Africa/USA/Canada?

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby bert » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:53 pm

Its always about money :wink:
If you dont have a big budget the Sigma will do great
Friend of mine uses one and the results are fine
If you have more to blow go for the original

RUMURUTI
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby RUMURUTI » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:10 pm

bert, I always thought Sigma was not up to the same level as original lenses; that is until I bought my Sigma 300 mm 2.8. Great lens, a little on the heavy side but worth every € paid for it.
LIFE IS MADE OF GOOD AND BAD THINGS, I TAKE THE GOOD AND YOU CAN KEEP THE BAD!!!
Andy Benaglia

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Josh of the Bushveld » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:46 am

JDW wrote:Wox
Be careful before investing in additional lenses.
Not all lenses will work with the D3000.
Regards
JDW

Correct. The big Sigmas will not autofocus on your body (though I've had ok results using manual focus in the past with my D40. I've since bought a new body though).
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

wox

Unread postby wox » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:21 pm

To all of you that have responded, thanks very much for your input, greatly appreciated, will continue to chat to photographic shops, and read what is written on here.

I have much to learn o Jedi masters..........

Guess its a continous learning curve as we grow, as the budget grows and as the bug grows!!

Once again thanks to all you out there.

Wox

RUMURUTI
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby RUMURUTI » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:25 pm

Hi wox, we're always here to help!! :D
Andy Benaglia

BushNuts

Unread postby BushNuts » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:23 am

I can only speak from experience, and will most likely be hung out to dry like a wors for this, but if you can go Nikon... go Nikon. I broke my original kit 70-300mm lens and opted to get a Sigma replacement because it was cheaper and had macro functionality.

Unfortunately the macro was a load of (fill with colourful language here) and the quality of the far off 300mm shots was pale in comparison to my original Nikon lens. Granted this was years ago but why risk it.

If you want reach then yes, Sigma has the goods (which you will have to manually focus). Personally I tend to stick to 300mm, for me it's enough reach. Shooting over that, without spending big bucks on a proper lens (i.e. 400mm f/2.8 or better), will usually only result in snapshot quality pics.
"What makes a simple picture a true photograph, is the infusion of a story, emotions and memories."

31/12 - 01/01 : KNP - Talamati
02/01 - 05/01 : KNP - Satara

Sprocky

Unread postby Sprocky » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:26 am

BushNuts wrote:I can only speak from experience, and will most likely be hung out to dry like a wors for this, but if you can go Nikon... go Nikon. I broke my original kit 70-300mm lens and opted to get a Sigma replacement because it was cheaper and had macro functionality.

Unfortunately the macro was a load of (fill with colourful language here) and the quality of the far off 300mm shots was pale in comparison to my original Nikon lens. Granted this was years ago but why risk it.

If you want reach then yes, Sigma has the goods (which you will have to manually focus). Personally I tend to stick to 300mm, for me it's enough reach. Shooting over that, without spending big bucks on a proper lens (i.e. 400mm f/2.8 or better), will usually only result in snapshot quality pics.

BushNuts, that comment could cause a lot of newbie photographers to stop before they start if they can't afford your 400mm f/2.8.

I shoot with the Sigma 170-500mm on a Pentax body, sure I would love to get prime glass if I could afford it, but the quality I am getting is a bit better than "snapshot" quality. Maybe it is a Nikon thing, but with Pentax there is no problem with auto-focus.

michel367

Unread postby michel367 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:31 am

I have a 170-500 (series 1 and Sprocky has a series 2) too AND on a Nikon body and I get very good results too. :thumbs_up:

RUMURUTI
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby RUMURUTI » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:36 am

I can't really complain about any of my Nikon or Sigma lenses.
Took some great photo's with my first cheap Nikon 70-300, same with my Nikon 80-400 and now with my Sigma 300mm. All attached to Nikon bodies and happy of the results.
Andy Benaglia

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”