Skip to Content

Panasonic Cameras

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
Massimo

Panasonic Cameras

Unread post by Massimo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:49 pm

Does anyone know where I can get one of these Cameras? Has anyone had any experience in using one of these and if so how are they?

Thanks very much :)
Canon 5D MK III :) :), Canon 7D , Canon 450D | Canon 400 F5.6 L | Canon 70-200 F2.8 L IS|Sigma 10-200 EX DG OS F4-5.6 & goodies :)
Runner up wildlife photographer of the year 2012-sunday times & winner-Canon S.A. reflection category

wingman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Pansonic Lumix ZS7

Unread post by wingman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:23 pm

Hi Massimo
there is no panasonic agent in SA which is why you do not see panasonic on offer anywhere, Im told by a top photographic supplier any available panasonics would be grey imports.
Skukuza 23-04, Satara 24-04, Ngwenya 25- 29/04

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Josh of the Bushveld » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:30 pm

Looks like an amazing camera!
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

wingman
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wingman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:41 am

Hi Massimo
following on yesterday I found a stockist in Durban who is a reputable retailer they say panasonic is coming back to SA and they are currently acting as the agent they have the following models in stock The TZ is the europe code for the ZS models.
DMC TZ 6, TZ 8 , TZ 10 and FZ 38 you can call them on 0315661747
Skukuza 23-04, Satara 24-04, Ngwenya 25- 29/04

Granny B

Panasonic FZ38

Unread post by Granny B » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:40 pm

I'm very new to the forum,so I apogise if I am doing the wrong thing but having posted a query in another section of the forum, but had no reply I thought perhaps I needed to give it a wider audience.

I have just progressed from a simple compact camera to a Panasonic FX38. We are staying outside the park at Ngwenya from Oct 22nd to Nov 5th. :D As we are flying in from the UK I need to watch the weight, so am wondering if I should bring a tripod for shots from hides, or even over the river from Ngwenya. The camera has a very good stabiliser so wonder if a bean bag will be sufficient.

My next question relates to teleconverters and while I am hoping the 18x zoom will let me get in really close to animals I realise birds will be more difficult. Has anyone any experience of a teleconverter on this camera please? I don't want to spend a £100+ on a converter if it's not goingto work.

Thanks in anticipation

saffa

Re: Panasonic FZ38

Unread post by saffa » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:10 am

Hi Granny B

With the teleconverter I'm not too sure, however if your camera has a good stabaliser then you shouldn't have a problem regarding the tripod story. My brother is quite a boffin and when he does use a tripod he has a little one. Not sure if you've seen them but you can actually bend the arms to fit onto the surface (whatever it may be, rough bricks or ground etc) perfectally. They are really small and cheap.
You should be able to fit it into your cameral bag even. Just to let you know that my brother has a cannon EOS which is pretty big and fits on the mini-tripod quite easily.

Happy snapping

George P M

Re: Panasonic FZ38 advice please.

Unread post by George P M » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:14 pm

Hi Granny B...

As a family we're all very fond of the Panasonic FZ range of cameras. I have one, my wife has one, my daughter has one... and they're great 'all-rounders'. May you have LOTS of success with yours!!
Panasonic cameras are, in my opinion, excellent for the Kruger Park. Yes, DO take along a lightweight tripod if you can - espacially for long-zoom shots or low-light shots...
YEs, you'll get the purists who will punt their expensive cameras as being supeior - but I've seen absolutely brilliant photos taken with the most basic of cameras. Most succesful photos owe more to the photographer than the equipment! My latest 'trick' is to try unusual angles... for instance, when photographing flowers, get right down to their level or even try snapping from below...
Good luck and happy snapping.... :lol:

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Panasonic FZ38 advice please.

Unread post by DuQues » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:32 pm

The FZ series is really good. You can easily see that by looking at the photos sent in for the photocompetitions. Good photo? Good chance it came from one of those cameras!

A beanbag is recommended in Kruger, well, always. Not only for the big DSLRs with 500 mm lenses, but even for your telephone camera. It'll take away user induced motion (shakes), which results in a sharper photo.
And of course it sets the mind more to composition, which also helps the photo. ;)
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”