Skip to Content

Point and Shoot Digital Camaras

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
reddirt

Re: Nikon P100

Unread post by reddirt » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:52 pm

When all else fails read the directions!

It was about 30/35 meters away and moving fast. One of 7 that visit our yard regularly.

Your critic is welcomed.

reddirt

Unread post by reddirt » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

One more. Taken from a bouquet.

I'll now wait for comments while I practice, practice and practice!!!!!

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:43 pm

I don't know why no one answers?

But:
The turkey was obviously too quick for you. You didn't have a lot of light, so the shuttertime was too slow, resulting in movement.
Handheld too from the looks of it, the background is a little blurry too. Nothing you can do about that, this is not a shot you can take with a tripod. With a beanbag however you might have? Just something to keep in mind.

The lily is good, though I would have looked for a slightly different angle.
The why? The other lily (top left) detracts the attention. The one on the right is cut off, maybe you could have gotten the stems in the photo?
Good subject though, it'll let you experiment a lot.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

WillBen

Unread post by WillBen » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:13 am

Hi reddirt,

Great to see you are enjoying the camera. Are you happy with your choice? Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I didn't receive any notifications of your posts. :huh:

reddirt wrote:My small Sony PNS indicates the # of pics remaining on the card. Does the P90 do the same? This is my second trip to SA and I would take the middle road for quality I think. What accessories did you buy? :huh:

Only accessories we bought were an 8 Gig SD card and an extra battery (Hahnel). So far we haven't manage to fill the SD card yet because I can't take enough photos! I'm sure I'll get an opportunity to max out the card soon though... he he he

I don't have my camera with me now, but yes, I think it does show the number of remaining photo's.

Nice Turkey BTW :wink:

reddirt

Unread post by reddirt » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:14 am

Also purchased an 8Gb card. Have not inserted it as yet but the 1 Gb has 397 photo capacity. I think I bought way too much for my use. The only accessory I purchased was a Nikon camera bag made for the D3000/4000. I works out well. Thanks for the comment on the Turkey. One of the other members commented on the quality as being blurred, but it was my first pic and it was running fast. It was about 30 meters away and the telephoto was extended and the camera was hand held. It's good enough for my needs.
:cam:

Coming to Kruger in September for nine days at three camps. One being Showu. Having a difficult time with the car rental decision. A Nisson SUV type would cost about $1400 for 10 days while a Honda Jazz only $500. Hard to justify. Will the grass be that high to need a taller car? Your input would be appreciated. :D

fee

Unread post by fee » Sat May 29, 2010 6:10 pm

Need some more advice plse ... was just about to purchase a Nikon Coolpix p100 when a pro photographer told me to rather buy the Canon x20is.
Have decided not to go the SLR route but rather a point and shoot at this stage.
Any thoughts from the pros on this forum. Help me decide once and for all.

Switchback

Unread post by Switchback » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:36 am

And once again, Nikon takes the cake with it's P100 Super Zoom! :clap:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q110superzoomgroup/
KNP: 14 June: Skukuza Camping
15 -21 June: Letaba Camping

jhawktx

Unread post by jhawktx » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:49 am

Switchback wrote:
The only reason these days I can think of not to go for a DSLR is because of size and weight.

I'm struggling with the decision of what camera to buy too. I'm leaning toward a pns like the Nikon P100 or Canon equivalent instead of DSLR. The main reason is the cost effective zoom capability. I'm not afraid of DSLR settings, etc. But to go to anything higher than about 200mm in telephoto capability requires a massive $ outlay for a lens. Even then the size of the thing is enormous. If DSLR could get good zoom for much less cost and much less size and weight I would go for it.

Or am I missing something. Do any DSLR's have a 400m or 500m lens that is lightweight, small, inexpensive and has an f-stop of 4.5 or less? In my research I can't find any.
Lower Sabie Sept 4-6
Satara Sept 7-9

fee

Unread post by fee » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:09 am

jhawktx - I'm have been looking at the same options as you for some time. Find the same problems with SLR as you. I looked at the Nikon P100, Fuji equivalent (great zoom) and the Canon sx 20IS. Did some homework and a few photographers I spoke to all said the Canon is the better choice. I must say all of them tried to pursuade me to buy go the SLR route, but have opted for the pnt. Its going to be the Canon SX20IS for me.
Would be interested to know what you decide.

jhawktx

Unread post by jhawktx » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:19 pm

Years ago I was an avid bird watcher. This is before digital. I carried around my neck a Canon A-1 with Tokina 400mm f5.6 lens. I took many thousands of bird pictures and walked many, many miles with that setup. But at this point I'm telling myself I should throw in the towel on that approach since these new ultra-zooms have come out. Sure the glass in them is not as good as the DSLR's but they seem to be good enough. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit in quality for ease, convenience, weight, size, and $.

Admittedly when we get to Kruger if I take a closeup picture of a lion with the ultra-zoom, fall in love with the picture, and decide to blow it up to a size big enough to wallpaper the wall in my bedroom the lion will not look as sharp as I would like. So be it.

Last year Canon came out with their current ultra-zoom in August 2009. I'm waiting to see if they come out with another new release in August 2010. So I'm waiting to see if that does indeed come out and, if it does, how does it compare to the Nikon and others.
Lower Sabie Sept 4-6
Satara Sept 7-9

Dabchick
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Dabchick » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:13 pm

Being a poorly-paid parastatal (not SANPARKS :| unfortunately )-employed botanist, I cannot afford a true D-SLR. Well, maybe the body of an old model (like a Canon 350D or 1000D), but not the lenses.

So I also looked into the so-called bridge or superzoom cameras (note, not point and shoots! - these cameras have almost SLR functionality and zoom).

Did some research and read many reviews, and looking at especially tele-zoom (I wanted an optical zoom of at least 600mm equivalent), shutterspeed (of either 1/4000 or 1/3200 (nothing slower)), preferably manual focus as well as auto focus and priced below R5000.

Came up with the following models as fitting my requirements:
Pentax X90
Pental X70
Fuji Finepix HS10
Fuji Finepix HS11
Nikon Coolpix P100

The Canon Powershot SX20IS came out below the lot listed above as it only have a tele-zoom equivanlent to 560mm, and it didn't have any extra functionality to make up for this, so it was off my list.

Have just bought the Nikon P100 last weekend and has already taken nice bird pictures in my garden. :)

Will test it properly on my soon-upcoming first-ever Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park trip :D :D :D :D , and will include pics in my trip report....

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Camera??

Unread post by DuQues » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:24 pm

The Canon PowerShot SX210 IS costs $350, so around your budget.

But I would have a look at the Panasonic Lumix series. Don't know the pricing, but the FZ100 is a super camera, well suited to the parks.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

Raptor142

Unread post by Raptor142 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:49 pm

I shoot with a Nikon DSLR, but I have it on fair authority, that the Nikon compacts (like the L110) are not so great. I believe that the Canon compacts are good, and I have had great service and pics from 2 Fuji compacts (S5700 now discontinued and S1800).

Get something with good optical zoom (and avoid using the digital zoom facillity that will be available in the settings).

I have always had good service and advice from Gareth at Orms in Town .... I'm sure he will give you the same if you go in and visit.

....or of course you could look for a "used bargain" if such a thing exists...?
Man's future may look brighter if he spent less time trying to outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority:(EB White)(adapted)

We don't inherit the earth from our parents - we borrow it from our children and theirs

Joubie

Unread post by Joubie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:57 am

I have a Canon Powershot SX10 which is the model before the SX20 and they are very similar. I was very happy with the photos I took with that camera. It's very good at point and shoot and when you want to take more control over the settings you can do so as well. I found it a very easy camera to use and I never used the digital zoom only the optical zoom. The photos that I got took in Kgalagadi last year came out beautifully.
Hope these picture will give you some idea.

JDW

Re: camera for travel

Unread post by JDW » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:10 am

Justbarb
Have a look at the Canon SX10IS / SX20IS / SX30IS cameras
Depending what part of the world you live in may depend on what is available.
The SX30IS is the latest model, however you might find an earlier model discounted.
They are a superb series of bridge cameras (point and shoot), easy to use and gives great results.
Enjoy your trip
Regards
JDW
2015 - Jun/Jul - Scotland
2015 - Sep - North Wales
2016 - South Africa/USA/Canada?

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”