Skip to Content

Exposure (Histogram)

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
Switchback

Re: Big Mistake

Unread post by Switchback » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:51 pm

Madach,

There is a few reasons I under expose by 1/3, I have been tutored by a few top wildlife photographers and I follow most of their expert advice and experience from the field. No, my camera definitely do not over expose in AV mode, but I basically force it not to over expose. Actually, in digital photography, you can save darker bits, but overblown bits is forever lost, so it is actually better in Digital Photography to under expose just a tad. On face value, if I compare two images of mine, one shot 1/3 under exposed and another on 0 Exposure Value, you have to really bring in a gigantic big magnifying glass to see a tonal difference. Also, with 1/3 under exposed, my shutter speed is just a tad faster as well which is great for wildlife photography.

I've put in Auto WB as I actually do not shoot in Auto WB when I do Wedding Photography. While you're correct that when shooting in RAW it doesn't make a big difference, it's just that I've got a special technique I use when shooting portraits etc. When photographing weddings, I put my WB on 5000K. I then take a shot of my White Balance card which has got different shades or "warmths" of white on it. Every time the light or scene changes, I take a shot of the card again. In post processing, I then have an absolute and constant WB value for every scene and it creates a marvelous perfect constant colour balance throughout the album.
KNP: 14 June: Skukuza Camping
15 -21 June: Letaba Camping

madach
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by madach » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:22 pm

Switchback,

Your WB workflow makes a lot of sense, it definitely speeds up the workflow of post-processing.On the exposure I don't agree with you. It is my experience over the last couple of years that underexposing in digital photography is worse than overexposing. With overexposing I don't mean overexposing by such an amount blowing the highlights because then the shot is ruined but overexposing so that the colour histogram is evenly distributed (the 'expose to the right' method). In my experience under exposing in digital photography introduces noise while overexposing and correcting the overexposure in post-processing provides better images.

I suppose everybody has their own way they set up their shots and as long as you're comfortable with that method and the results that you're getting are good then there is no bad method.

M.

UKbadger

Unread post by UKbadger » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:13 pm

It’s the old “be prepared thing” again, there is no completely standard setting for Bush Shooting on the move as the situation changes constantly.

My trick for this is to constantly be playing the “what if game”.

What if –

- a Lep stepped out into that gap, would the bright rocks blow out

– an eagle flew over head, would it be just a black n white –

- a H Badger appeared in the shade of those trees

- is the light so lacking in bright highlights that I can overexpose for max detail?!!

If in doubt, take a shot, look at the histogram and be confident!

At first it is very tiring, but it becomes almost automatic after a while. The settings on my cam are constantly changing with the light, the terrain and what is most likely to happen.

It’s like seeing around you, “through” your cam, even when it’s not up to your eye.

Hmmm, :hmz: the “most likely to happen” bit never seems to for me, but often something similar but SURPRISING dose!

:D

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”