Skip to Content

Relations between Kb and Pixels

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Relations between Kb and Pixels

Unread post by Josh of the Bushveld » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:04 pm

Yes, white balance is one of the major things one can correct if shot in RAW, that can't be corrected in a JPEG.
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Kicker Cat

Unread post by Kicker Cat » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:18 am

Hi Guys,

For what it's worth - you may well find the answer to this question on one of the Adobe forums - somewhere at www.adobe.com There are some real wizards there and the answers nearly always make sense

Raw is the way to go but you have to commit the time to process into viewable pics

Klystron
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Klystron » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:34 pm

Hi Guys,
I would like to add my 2 cents worth on the matter of pixels in pictures.
A pixel is an abbreviation for Picture Element and is the smallest single bit of colour information that can be displayed by the device in question. In a TV set (the older type with a tube that required warming up) you can see these pixels as a group of three dots or on a Sony Trinitron, three vertical bars, one for each of Red, Blue and Green.

The CCD in a camera is similar except of course for the number of pixels. A TV (not HD) has 640 x 480 pixels (307200) whereas my Canon has 3888 in the horizontal plane and a total of about 10 000 000 (10M). Each of these pixels would have a number of bits allocated to them to represent the brightness of the light on that pixel as discussed earlier in the thread. Normally this would be at least 10^12 (1 followed by 12 zeros) or, as normally stated 12 bits. The amount of information to be stored in this example would be 10M x 12 bits. Most computer systems tend to use 8 bits per byte meaning that an uncompressed picture would be 120megabits divided by 8 giving 15 Megabytes of data. In this case it would not matter if the picture was black, white or any colour in between.

Using a compression algorithm such as JPEG will reduce this considerably with the amount depending on the detail of the picture. A picture with large areas of the same colour would compress much more than one with very small areas of different colours.

I hope this helps a bit.

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”